How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

If it works in QEMU then it should work on real hardware. I have no clue how and why you test in VMWare.

You are not supposed to edit that line in txtsetup.sif, it's auto edited by the boot grub4dos script, and modifying it would lead to results like the ones you got.

Actually, what's the point of your experiments? Are you just experimenting, or need to perform an installation on real hardware?

If it works in QEMU then it should work on real hardware. I have no clue how and why you test in VMWare.

You are not supposed to edit that line in txtsetup.sif, it's auto edited by the boot grub4dos script, and modifying it would lead to results like the ones you got.

Actually, what's the point of your experiments? Are you just experimenting, or need to perform an installation on real hardware?

I want to install on my pc end i cant, :( nothing works! that's why i start experimenting.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I managed to get very strange problem trying to boot Windows XP installation or the alternative boot manager PLoP (first option from menu). I didn't had problems with Hiren's or Windows 7. I saw like only 2-3 people who have it which is strange...

The error message is :

ls\usbdrive.tag Error 15 file not found, press any key to continue

There isnt't such file usbdrive.tag in the root directory of the USB HDD. So I didn't find such even in WinSetup installation directory nor in Grub4DOS files. The way I fixed the error was changing the menu.lst file ( I REMOVE THE "find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag" LINE)

FROM

title Windows XP/2000/2003 Setup

map --unmap=0:0xff

map --unhook

savedefault

find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag

configfile /winsetup.lst

TO

title Windows XP/2000/2003 Setup

map --unmap=0:0xff

map --unhook

savedefault

configfile /winsetup.lst

There isnt't such file usbdrive.tag in the root directory of the USB HDD. So I didn't find such even in WinSetup installation directory nor in Grub4DOS files.
Something/somebody must have deleted/erased/eaten it :w00t:

Find who/what that was and tell it not to touch innocent empty tag files ever again!

The way I fixed the error was changing the menu.lst file ( I REMOVE THE "find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag" LINE)
Put the line back. Create an empty file in root of the USB disk and name it usbdrive.tag. Do the same for Program Directory\files\grub4dos\. Or better off, re-download the program, there could be other files missing/deleted/eaten by the same evil creature.

The file would not have been used if there was no need of it.

Added: by the way- always use recent 7-zip version to extract the program. Some other programs, "compatible" with 7z do not handle 7z archives properly, in particular ignoring empty files, which most likely is your case.

Hello

I speak spanish but try present my problem

Win Setup from USB is very good software, but i have a problem with Windows XP installed from this method

I using a Western Digital Passport (1 T) for install Windows XP, Win 7, and another tools example Hiren's Knoppix live CD, etc, etc.

When I install XP (I'm force Use External as permanent hardare in options of WinSetupFromUSB), XP habe a litle bug, that not happened when i using same installers from normal CD/DVD

When attach External USB becomes Blue Screen Hardware error, but ocasionally (Xp installed whit method WinSetup From USB stable version)

and i need understand where is the problem

1. How force hardware WinSetupFrom USB an external usb as permanent hard disk

2. Beta version is better

3. I can resolve editing directly some file in external usb ($WIN_NT$.~BT $WIN_NT$.~LS or TXTSETUP.SIF) ????

Please help me for resolve this problem

1. How force hardware WinSetupFrom USB an external usb as permanent hard disk

Cannot understand what you mean, can you try expanding on it?

2. Beta version is better

:thumbup:

The beta is online since december 2010 with very little problems reported by the users, so I would call it "stable".

A number of issues has been resolved in it that affected the orignal "stable" version.

Try it and report if you still have the same problems.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Ok

In the program options of WinSetupFromUSB I'm forcing the external disk hardware as permanent.

I am using Windows XP SP2 but updated with Winup2.9

The problem is that after installing Windows, it has problems with USB, blue screen appears IRQ_LESS_EQUAL ... ... when you plug a USB but not every time

Tehe same Windows has no errors if I install normally from CD/DVD

• 2 weeks later...

Ia have a very hard observation about your beta versions of software.

The drivers are very bad, if you add drivers (Only for WinXP 32, not all) The sistem crash if you add drivers with nLite to Windows XP

Examinando con mayor cuidado este compilado de drivers, algunos están parchados con archivos de otras versiones. En algunos casos se inventaron los archivos INF. Por lo menos la mitad de los drivers NO son drivers de los CDs originales, no son drivers de DVDs originales, hasta mi coleccion que es mucho más pequeña pero es directamente de CDs originales es mejor que esta versión de drivers, en cuanto pueda los subiré y trataré de hacerselos saber a los que están proveyendo esta solución que está dañada.

Examining more carefully this compilation of drivers, some are patched with files from other versions. In some cases, invented the INF files. At least half the drivers are NOT drivers of the original CDs, DVDs are not original drivers to my collection which is much smaller but is directly from original CDs is better than this version of drivers, as can the go up and try to let them know you are providing the solution that is damaged.

The "compilation of drivers" is the latest BTS mass storage drivers packs, which is widely tested and used, and are not intended whatsoever to be integrated with nLite.

And the "solution" has been tested as much as possible by several people, before posting it here. The DPMS solution used in the latest version is relatively new, OPTIONAL and is yet to be widely tested, and surely that's something everyone has to contribute towards a bit with informative feedback in order to get things going.

As a side note, I don't quite get the point of your post, thanks for the feedback anyway, even put in this negative way, but for the rest you have to be more detailed and first figure out what is what, and finally ask for a refund.

As a side note, I don't quite get the point of your post, thanks for the feedback anyway, even put in this negative way, but for the rest you have to be more detailed and first figure out what is what, and finally ask for a refund.

Just in case the request for refund should be addressed here ;):

http://driverpacks.net/

whilst constructive criticism may be posted here :whistle::

http://forum.driverpacks.net/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

1. Si te digo un error no es por molestar, no hablo por hablar solamente, lo probaré en el respectivo foro donde provienen esos drivers. Se lo que te digo.

2. Aun no he testeado las versiones Beta que me recomiendas, pero lo hare en estos días.

3. Tu software WinSetupFromUSB es muy bueno, es excelente, pero tengo la pantalla azul cuando se inserta un disco duro externo en un Windows instalado con este método, cosa que no sucede en instalación normal de un mismo Windows (sin tocar).

El Error que me sale con la versión estable es DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL pero cuando hago backup de los drivers no parecen haber diferencias. Eliminando el hardware oculto rdummy no se ha solucionado.

1. If you say a mistake is not to bother, not much point in going alone, I will prove in the respective forum where these drivers come from. I know what I mean.

2. I have not tested the beta versions I recommend, but I will do these days.

3. Your WinSetupFromUSB software is very good, excellent, but I have a blue screen when you insert an external hard drive on a Windows installed with this method, which does not happen in normal installation of the same Windows (without touching).

The error that I get with the stable version is DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL but when I backup the drivers do not seem to be differences. Eliminating the hidden hardware rdummy not been fixed.

Edited by Jhorton