How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

greetings everyone!

i created a multiboot usb flash drive of windows 7, windows xp, ubuntu and ubcd4win using winsetup.

all went well except for ubcd4win. it always giving me a BSOD error.

i already slipstream the drivers but to no avail, it does not fix the problem.

i would like to ask your assistance on how to fix this problem. thanks in advance!

Hi ilko_t,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for all your efforts and time to make such a wonderful tool available to the public. Well done mate, keep up the good work. Now on to the problem i've run into.

I've been trying to create a customized usb unattended installation of XP pro SP3 using the $OEM$ folders method to install drivers during the second phase of the installation process. While everything worked just fine while testing the usb under Vmware and the OS did install correctly using a custom winnt.sif the $OEM$\$1 folders and subfolders did not get copied over to the root drive. To clarify, the $OEM$ folder tree was parallel to the i386, present at the installation source when making the usb, using the beta 7 version of your tool . Do I need to rename the folders to something else? Place them in a different folder tree? Modify the winnt.sif or setup.cmd ? Please help.

Thanks for the quick reply ilko_t, been busy working on other projects and couldn't find the time to investigate the issue. Anyway it turned out that I had the wrong settings in the winnt.sif file. To clarify - $OEM$ folders must be placed on the root of the source and not a subfolder of i386/ contrary to what it's written in the KB, your answer file also needs to have the OemPreinstall=Yes line under the [unattended] section. The drivers were copied and scripts executed properly after that.

First - I love this tool - it has helped me so much with my home PC's - and cleared away my old stack of DVD's! Thanks Thanks Thanks!

Only concern I have:

The USB Stick I created with this prgram (beta 6) boots on about half of the PC's I try it on. Perfectly.

The other half I get: Missing MBR Helper. (Mostly HP Laptops actually - and some Acers).

Is there a file I can copy to the drive, or a file I can edit, that will allow this to boot on almost every system?

PS - These are newer systems (e.g. Vista +) That are designed to boot from USB. - These systems also boot from another linux USB stick (pendrivelinux.com) I have that has utilities on it, so I know the systems are capable of booting to USB.

PPS - I guess one more tiny issue - when I try to boot into Windows XP setup on any Dell desktop (only desktops too, not laptops) - It blue screens after copying the initial files - right before it 'starts windows' and shows available partitions. Any ideas on this?

Yes/No.

The cause may be the particular version of the grub4dos MBR (for the Acer's) or a problem with partitioning/formatting (more likely for the HP's).

Typically you should:

1. use beta 7 (latest)
  2. use RMPREPUSB to initialize/partition/format the stick (use 2PTNS settings)
  3. in case get latest RMPREPUSB
  4. try on the "pesky" machines
  5. report what happens

As an alternative, you can backup your existing stick (with something like the NT backup, i.e. "file-based"), repartition/re-format it with beta 7 (or directly with RMPREPUSB - advised) then restore the files from the backup.

In BOTH cases YMMV, if you want to actually troubleshoot the issue, start a new thread an post some EXACT details of HOW the stick is setup/partitioned/formatted AND the exact models you have problems with.

Same goes for the Dell's, provided that you already read attentively the FAQ's and complied with what is in them (modified NTDETECT.COM, SATA integrated).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No specific instructions. You'd need to find out what options work on those particular models. No need to format in advance either, RMPrepUSB would do that.

To save time- do not put anything else on the USB, just experiment various format options and find out which one boots. To put grub4dos MBR the easiest way would be either to use again RMPrepUSB if you downloaded it separately, or select only SYSLINUX option in WinSetupFromUSB. Or use BootIce in \files\tools, select Process MBR and pick GRUB4DOS MBR, then INSTALL/CONFIG-->SAVE TO DISK.

As for the BSOD on Dells- check the pinned FAQ topic, replace NTDETECT.COM in your source with the modified one. If stick is already prepared with the 1.0 betaX version- replace the one in the small ISO file in WINSETUP folder on your USB stick.

BOOTICE does not make the CHS Knockout patches in the NTFS BootSector

which are known to be necessary for booting USB-sticks on computers with HP BIOS.

see cdob in post #218 in http://reboot.pro/5306/page__st__215

You can also try BOOT_USB.exe and use the Format Stick button.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24424

In folder BOOT_USB\makebt you can change the filename of modified ntdetect_mod.com in NTDETECT.COM so that this file is used.

This is useful for booting USB-sticks with Dell computers.

:)

Edited by wimb

Good info Wimb, thanks.

I wonder how RMPrepUSB and fbinst behave in such machines, does anyone have any experience?

@LordX

It would be helpful to test a few applications and see which one overcomes the boot problem on your machines. Do you want to help a bit? Do you have such machines around you?

I would love to help - your program has been such a help to me it is the least I could do.

I do not have one of these pesky machines near me at the moment. Every PC I have right now boots fine.

I am going to see a customer tomorrow with an HP laptop - but I don't know if he will allow me to borrow the laptop :)

This is a serious issue for me because I would like to have my DVD's only for emergency, and permanently switch to this USB drive.

I will be happy to post my results once I get them.