Remove OEM features from a nlite build ?

leoliver

Hi Everyone,

I have my original Dell WinXPPro SP1a reinstall disk that was shipped with my Dell Dimension 4550 computer . Which I have used with nlite many times to create both SP2 or SP3 slipstreamed disk's. Recently someone told me that a OEM reinstall disk is "locked to" the manufacturer's Motherboard , and couldn't be used for a Windows reinstall if I had to replace my Dell computer with another brand .

So can nlite be used to create a slipstreamed reinstall disk , that could be used on any brand of computer ?

Thanks .

i think its possible but im not sure...

but i do know its illegal... cause the product key is bound to your computer i think but im not sure on that either...

sorry that i cant help more

I thought it was legal to transfer Windows product to a 2nd computer, if you re-registered Windows with Microsoft and if Windows was only on one computer . But I'm not a lawyer either..........

Anyways, you raised a good point . I'll do some research and post my answer.

leoliver,

I think the secret is, your Dell CD is an OEM copy of XP. If you'll look at My Computer properties you should see OEM under the Registered to: field. If you will read your EULA, you'll see mitsukai is correct. You cannot put this copy of XP on another computer. MS cannot prevent you from installing, but they can prevent you from Activating it on the new machine. When it was originally activated, information about your hardware was sent to MS and is associated with your key. This information is serial numbers and type info on various pieces of your hardware. If you change too many of these at once you have trouble from MS. You can probably still buy XP for a while even though MS has ceased shipping. I saw an OEM copy on Newegg the other day for $140. A retail copy will be more expensive but you can install it on multiple machines, one at a time.

The main message is to read your EULA.

Enjoy, John.

Actually you have two keys.

There should be one (1) on your OEM-CD and one (2) on the back of your computer (or on the bottom of your notebook).

(1) This is the Key that is bound to the hardware and does not require activation.

(2) This is a regular Windows-licence-key, that can be used with any other computer (within the MS EULA) and has to be activated like any other key (via internet or later via phone).

And Yes !

You can strip out all the OEM-stuff (there are several tutorials, how to do that), to make your OEM-CD a "clean-XP".

And a second yes !

It´s completely legal, as long as you use the regular key (the other won´t work anymore anyways) and you uninstall the DELL-XP.

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Problem is, DELL install disks do not have an OEM key ON them. The key for those disks is the one on your computer. Trust me, I have a Dell like that.

So, in other words, you might be able to strip out the OEM stuff of the installation disk, but unfortunately, you won't have an installation key to install the -clean XP- version. The label on your computer, if it says OEM, is for the OEM disk that came with the PC.

Give us an update, and remember to post back !!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, I'll be thinking them over for a while. I'm learning a lot about computers that I wasn't previously aware of .

But after reading over my post 's replies , I have another question ............ What is the legal definition of a computer ? The motherboard for instance ? If I had to change my computer's motherboard , would I legally have a "new" computer ?

Thanks .