Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) servi

cokesmoke

I've been bothered by this problem for quite some time, so I thought that I should check in here to see if anyone here could help me in what has turned out to be a totally fruitless search so far:

When I'm connected to a wireless network with a nLited XP, it seems to disconnect awfully often, and after some time spit out the following message: "Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly" and I get 60 seconds to save all my work before the computer restarts.

After some searching I figured that it MIGHT be a win32.blaster worm or some variant of that, but both the symantec tool and avast! turned up blank after the scanns.

I tried upgrading to Vista in hopes that it would dissapare there, but the WLAN still disconnects FAR too often, and still no luck in finding the win32.blaster (or anything else).

Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^

Hmmm, I would've guessed blaster worm first but sounds like ou've checked that out. Have you tried different wireless drivers? Have you tried a different wifi card/usb on the same system or tried youe on someone else's system. If can do it be well worth the effort.

What about an un-nLited disk? - just to confirm its not something done in nLite.

I've tried the following OSes on my home network:

-Windows XP Professional (Norwegian and English)

-Windows XP Media Center Edition (English)

-Windows Vista Ultimate (Norwegian and English)

On vista it just disconnects A LOT!!

On XP it restarts the whole computer >_<

I've tried the WLAN drivers that came with the machine for Vista, and used the driverpacks.net for XP

I cannot install a unedited CD since I need HDD drivers in order to run XP :P

But the problem seemed to appear on a computer that didn't have a problem untill the nLited XP PRO were installed...

Edited by cokesmoke

Are you sure that the problem is with your computer and not your wireless access point? It sounds like you're having troubles with three different versions of Windows, but haven't ensured that the hardware on the other end is working properly. Any details on the wireless hardware you're using (both router/WAP and wireless card)?

Don't ever rely on the base drivers for Vista, especially for wireless. Go and get the manufacturer's drivers and install those. Are you sure that the drivers in the driverpacks are also up to date?

Well... I burned another copy of the disk some time ago and sent it to my brither (that lives... some distance from me), and he ended up with the same error it seems >_<

(That's the PC that i reffered to that got the problem after installing the nLited disc >_<

First: fix the symptoms

Next time that box appears and gives you "60 seconds til explosion", defuse the bomb by going to Start/Run, and type:

shutdown /a

and click OK. The dialog about shutting down should go away and you should be able to continue using your computer - although it'll act a little more strangely after the RPC server died.

Then we can work on fixing your problem.

In accordance with several hints found around the web I've tried to change the reactions for the service when "unexpectedly shutting down" to "do nothing" on one of the computers experiencing this.

But that computer still disconnects... let's just call it QUITE often :P

First: fix the symptoms

Next time that box appears and gives you "60 seconds til explosion", defuse the bomb by going to Start/Run, and type:

shutdown /a

and click OK. The dialog about shutting down should go away and you should be able to continue using your computer - although it'll act a little more strangely after the RPC server died.

Then we can work on fixing your problem.

While you CAN abort a shutdown this way, Windows will have already started stopping services by the time you see this message. I do not recommend aborting an AUTHORITY shutdown because Windows will become unstable. It is a problem I encountered when battling the Blaster worm when it first showed up. I had the idea that I could abort the shutdown and then run the cleaner, but it wouldn't work because some services were already stopped before I could get into the cmd and type the words. So my solution was to not have the network connected, which of course meant that Blaster wouldn't trigger.

Windows didn't start shutting down services... it just scheduled a shutdown, that's all. Services just crash because they rely on RPC, as do a _ton_ of other things (the clipboard, for example). Lots of stuff will be broken, but it's better than staring at a blank screen wondering "now what?".

A broken system is always better than no system at all.

I've just now sent my WLAN router in for support under my warranty, just to be on the safe side.

If that doesn't prove any results, It'll seem that I need to give up and retreat to Vista once more *crying*

Thanks for all your help, and please post if anyone figures a solution to this ^^

When you said that you burned another disc for your brother was it an un-nlited version or the same disc as the one he was using before?

Have you tried installing Windows from a normal non-edited disc?

My brother was running a un-nlited installation, and didn't experience that error. But since he managed to delete some boot-files, and having lost the original CD, I sent him a nLited cd I had. Then it started showing up rather often.

Again I should say that he runs on another router than the one I run (He runs a LinkSys while I run a Jensen Scandinavia router), so I find it hard to belive that both routers promote the same error :P

When you said that you burned another disc for your brother was it an un-nlited version or the same disc as the one he was using before?

Have you tried installing Windows from a normal non-edited disc?

My brother was running a un-nlited installation, and didn't experience that error. But since he managed to delete some boot-files, and having lost the original CD, I sent him a nLited cd I had. Then it started showing up rather often.

Again I should say that he runs on another router than the one I run (He runs a LinkSys while I run a Jensen Scandinavia router), so I find it hard to belive that both routers promote the same error :P

Considering that he didn't have the problem until the nLite disk and you have different routers, it sounds suspiciously like an nLite introduced issue. The RPC thing may be unrelated to your wifi issue (seeing as your brother doesn't get that too). Did you integrate drivers? If so perhaps you integrated some flakey wifi drivers? Or removed something you shouldn't have? Really you need to try with a clean XP Pro install I reckon and take it from there.

The only thing I used nLite for was to disable alexa, integrate service SP2/SP3 and make unattended install.

I'm a bit lazy so I integrated the driverpacks.net after nLiting (And that hasn't given me any problems earlier >_>)