XP System 32 error

owain

Help!!!

XP instals OK, and runs for several days....until....it suddenly will not load, giving the following error message:-

WINDOWSSYSTEM32CONFIGSYSTEM file missing or corrupt.

I have an up to date virus checker....is this an OS fault, or a pc fault, and is it repairable? Please help, before I throw the whole box of tricks out of the window in despair!!!!!!

Owain

What were the last bits of software you installed when you were running the OS?

For now, try pressing F8 just before the WinXP splash screen appears, and choose Last Known Good Configuration, see if that works. If not boot into safe mode, from either one, you can remove the offending software you suspect is causing the problem.

It could be hardware related... the hard disk. My mate has a PC with a failing hard drive, and he gets those sort of messages from time to time, but boots fine later. Check your hard disk manufacturer website for any diagnostics tools, they're bound to have them!.

Thanks for the prompt reply!!

When this happens, F8 will not allow start up at all, either in safe mode or any other of the options, all attempts land up with the missing or corrupt file problem.

No new software installed prior to problem either!

Hard disk was new 4 months ago, as is the rest of the pc.

Only option given is to reinsert XP disk, and attempt a repair, but no info on how to effect this.

Have another hard drive which runs ME OK!

Once again, thanks!!

Owain

If your dealing with corrupt files then try this fix....

Go to Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (leave a space between sfc and / ).Hit Enter. This nice little Xp function will find the corrupted files and replace them.

Goodluck

-Drew [/quote:354aeaf277]

How, when he can't get into XP?

Other ways may be to get into the Recovery Console, so boot up your XP CD, and run the RC from there. I'm not entirely sure if RC does SFC or not.

[b:f135aeab0c]owain[/b:f135aeab0c] Could possibly be one of the following.

1:)It may be a RAM problem.Does your error occur following a cold boot or from a restart.

During the shutdown process the RAM returns system files back to the hard drive,so that they are accessible when you cold boot.

If the RAM is faulty it doesn't return the files,therefore when you power on config can't find the boot files.

2:)What motherboard do you have? Is it an Abit?

Some people have had trouble with certain Abit boards shutting down too quick,which in turn prevents the RAM from returning the system files back to the hard drive (similar to above)

Can you list your system specs.

It could be a problem relating to ur systems registry hive either missing or corrupt

if u cant gain access into xp its because the registry hive stores the info for ur O/S to boot ur machine. If the above suggestions fail to work then ur going to need to boot the XP from dos and run the repair tools (either from ur boot disks or a bootable version XP)

u will need to replace the system file from ur cd system32config folder, by renaming the old version and replacing it with a new version

ne drivers or progs that u have installed may need to be replaced after this is finished

if u need further assistance let us know???:cool:

http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,9+355...5+35650,00.html

that site is nice for repairing XP.

[b:d1546cd85c]Fast tips[/b:d1546cd85c]

To repair the Windows NT/2k/XP boot sector on Fat partition

Windows NT installs a boot sector that launches NTLDR and displays the Windows NT boot menu. If you lose this boot sector, BootPart can restore it.

Boot under MS-Dos (this can be MS-Dos 6.22 on your hard disk, on an MS-Dos bootable floppy, or the "MS-Dos 7.0" included in Windows 95 (you can obtain it by pressing Shift+F5 when Win95 loads). Then, enter the command :

BOOTPART WINNT BOOT:C:

If you want to remove the WinNT boot sector, you can replace it with the command "BOOTPART DOS622 BOOT:C:" or "BOOTPART WIN95 BOOT:C:"

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

bootpart file is above

---------------------------------------------------------------------

YOu might also find some relevant information at the below referenced site!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q291980

Hope this helps, sorry about your poor experience with XP thus far, but really once you get the kinks worked out, you will be very pleased.

One other thing, it could be your BIOS, you might want to try to update it.

ANother thing is to check your RAM like reverend said, additionally, if your BIOS supports it, you might want to bump down your memory to the next lowest level example from 133---->100, 100--->66. Give that a go.

And my last shot-in-the dark is to change the position of your HDD on the IDE cable. See if that does anything for you.

Big Booger

"s*** happens"

Hey, I got the same message when I upgraded my memory. I had received a 256M Dimm with my XP purchase, but I didn't put it in till later. I got the System error and a few others. I rebuilt the system. (I found out later I could have probably ran re-install. I replaced my memory and all was good.

• 4 weeks later...

many thanks for all of your constructive replies, which have now been implemented. Unfortunately, I now have a new set of problems! After formatting my hard drive, and installing XP Professional, a Windows Protection Error message interrupts XP loading from cold. Messages are either:-

1. IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL

or

2. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT VALUE

The same pc runs ME on another drive, and also W98 on another drive, both without any problem! I am determined to get XP up and running, IT WILL NOT BEAT ME!!!

Overdrive - don't be afraid to go the source of your pain - Micro$oft. The knowledge base actually will usually show solutions to many of your problems. This link is to the search unmountable boot volume...

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search...=&maxResults=25

here is another ---

http://support.microsoft.com/search/previe...b;en-us;Q297185

hope these help....

LS

Active links are now ok ..---Drew[/color:6eba83112a]