My Win98SE machine is held together with string and chewing gum ...

celtish

My Win98SE machine is held together with string and chewing gum so the day has come for me to get hold of a new machine. Unfortunately a newer machine will probably have XP or Vista pre-installed. I particularly want to stay with 98SE and to retain my present settings so I will probably eventually switch my hard discs into the newer machine.

Alternatively, to avoid driver conflicts, I may initially use the newer machine as is and later re-install 98SE. In that event I suspect that the existing XP/Vista system will be reluctant to bow out and give way to what it sees as an older system. Should I delete the newer Windows first or would it be sufficient to delete WIN.COM? (In 98SE this makes Windows see a re-install as a fresh install.)

Any insights, anyone?

option 1= move you old harddrive to your new computer option2= format your new computer, create 2 partitions on your new computer, install windows 98 to partition 1, then install xp or vista to partiton 2 and dual boot.

From personal experience I would definitely recommend the dual boot option.

I never want to lose Windows 98 either, but now that disk space isn't an issue, I see no harm, and many advantages, in having a more up-to-date NT-based OS as well, in my case Windows 2000.

I have no inclination to go to Vista, or even XP!

Do be aware that a modern motherboard may have problems with Windows 98 due to lack of suitable drivers.

My motherboard is a server board from 2003, and that was never tested on or claimed to support Windows 98.

I was lucky though, it does work fine.

:)

Edited by Dave-H