Problems with Media Player Classic

Sorry to trouble you all for the billionth time, but I want to ditch Quicktime in favor of Lighter, more highly compatible MPC. I downloaded a .zip with the Windows 98/ME Media Player Classic executable in it. I unzipped to a program folder, and double clicked the icon. to my astonishment, a message popped up saying that I was missing file ddraw.dll. I did a google search, and came across a forum suggesting to download the file to the system folder. again to my surprise, there was already a file in my system folder called ddraw.dll. needless to say, I can't delete it. so yeah. anyone know what's wrong?

when i try to open mpc, a secondary message pops up as well saying "a device attached to the system is not functioning

Sorry to trouble you all for the billionth time, but I want to ditch Quicktime in favor of Lighter, more highly compatible MPC. I downloaded a .zip with the Windows 98/ME Media Player Classic executable in it. I unzipped to a program folder, and double clicked the icon. to my astonishment, a message popped up saying that I was missing file ddraw.dll. I did a google search, and came across a forum suggesting to download the file to the system folder. again to my surprise, there was already a file in my system folder called ddraw.dll. needless to say, I can't delete it. so yeah. anyone know what's wrong?

when i try to open mpc, a secondary message pops up as well saying "a device attached to the system is not functioning

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed?

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed?

i think so. let me check.

my dxdiagnostic tool says i'm running version 6.something. but it also says my processor is Pentium III, and I've seen it and know it's Celeron. I'm downloading the install file for v. 9.0c, just incase.

edit: i forgot about autopatcher for a sec. installing the update from autopatcher, right now

edit2: alright. I guess I did have an old a** version of DX. dxdiag is also much more accurate and complete (reckognizes my intel celeron). now mpc works. thanks so much!

Edited by TheRedFox

weird. it won't play my mp4 file as a video

Try KMPlayer.

It's like a cross between MPC and VLC - it's MPC with its own internal codecs, sparing you of the trouble to look for codecs, which really is a pain in 9x/me. Plays almost anything on my laptop in sig, only things it couldn't recognize were 3GP movies filmed with my cellphone, but i'm sure there are updates for that. It also has a lot of settings, allowing you to choose various filters, better video/audio quality or faster rendering speed/lower CPU usage, basically everything you will ever need. :)

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

Hi ... in case this might be of some help. The last version of K-Lite Codec Pack 3.45 (Full) for Windows 98SE will play pretty much everything. It has Media Player Classic also included in the download. It can be found at FileHippo and seems to play everything so far. ... http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/3194/ ...

duffy98

Edited by duffy98

I recommend you install just ffdshow (important part of K-Lite codec pack) instead of it .

You'll find newest versions here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=173941

Latest versions of MPC here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=205650

bit too late. this is good, though, I'll be able to play just about any media files out there. and I can already basically view any image files with the combination of iview and paint shop pro

thanks to everyone, btw.

the trouble to look for codecs, which really is a pain in 9x/me.

No it isn't. As linked above, ffdshow pretty much takes care of it completely.

Okay, maybe you'll need filters for wrappers (mkv, ogm, etc) or Real alternatives. I find a minimal wrapper-only install of a generic pack like Ace usually takes care of those.

the trouble to look for codecs, which really is a pain in 9x/me.

No it isn't. As linked above, ffdshow pretty much takes care of it completely.

Okay, maybe you'll need filters for wrappers (mkv, ogm, etc) or Real alternatives. I find a minimal wrapper-only install of a generic pack like Ace usually takes care of those.

I hate ffdshow. Don't ask why, i just hate it. KMPlayer has all i need. ;) PS. Ace Codecs pack is the number one program for messing your registry up. :P

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

This took a while to find, so I thought I'd bring it to all of your respective attentions. If you ditch QT, you can't view Quick Time video browser applets or whatever, so I looked into a program called Quick Time Alternative. All of the versions I found were XP or higher only. so I did a google search for "Quick Time Alternative Windows 98se" and found the last version compatible with 9x. it's Quick Time Alternative v. 1.56. it seems to work fine with Quick Time browser applets. by default, it comes with Media Player Classic, but you can install it into the folder of any directshow compatible media player. you get the option in the install to install as many or as few components as you like. I installed only the things that I needed into my K-Lite codec pack folder (which contains my Media Player Classic) so yeah. just thought I should let everyone know.

I wasn't able to play the WMV file linked on this page, though. Maybe it's DRMed?

what were you trying to open it with? mpc? if so then maybe you should set the .wmv default association with mpc. when I tried playing it, it opened it into windows media player