SP1 VS vLite

bizzybody

SP1 won't install on my laptop with Ultimate that's been customized with vLite, gives me error code 0x80070002 :(

Has anyone managed to shoehorn SP1 onto a vLite modified Vista install? Or am I going to have to find an Anytime Upgrade DVD with SP1 already integrated and start over?

Format and reinstall using your original Windows cd and then install SP1. Everything will work as intended and you'll have peace of mind knowing that if you buy any new games, hardware, software, etc. it will work straight out of the box.

"Microsoft does not recommend using any tool to strip out applications from Windows Vista prior to installing it on your system, as it may affect your ability to download future Windows updates and service packs, and may cause your system to become unstable," the company said to CNet News after a recent story about vLite.

I see some folks have whipped up easy-integration tools for SP1... might be an SP1 "shoehorn" app come along soon. When MS says something's not possible... just wait. My laptop only has an 80 gig drive, split into two partitions. With all the bloat I stripped out with vLite, SP1 is so far the only thing that won't install!

SP1 won't install on my laptop with Ultimate that's been customized with vLite, gives me error code 0x80070002 :(

Has anyone managed to shoehorn SP1 onto a vLite modified Vista install? Or am I going to have to find an Anytime Upgrade DVD with SP1 already integrated and start over?

It's probably not vlite causing the issue. I was getting that error on my machine (stock install). I got it and reported it on every beta release and it was finally fixed in RC2. When I downloaded the final build, it wouldn't install again....

Wow, Vista versus XP are definitely night-and-day with *Lite opinions. With XP, nobody would ever recommend installing XP without using nLite first. With Vista, at least in this topic, vLite is like:

"Quote the same phrase Microsoft has been saying for years about not modifying Windows. Never modify Windows. You are doing bad things. Vista is a good OS with 500mb of speech support, 1.4gb of languages nobody uses, and 500 more MB of 'natural language' support you, too, will probably never use. Install it all!"

As it is, I'm giving Vista one more shot on a junker P4/2.6 system I had laying around in pieces. After SP1 came out, I figure I'll give it another worthwhile chance. No way am I letting it mess up my main C2D system though. I integrated SP1 into an original (but downloaded) Vista disc, then stripped a bunch of stuff out. So far, the only error I've had is that my test computer didn't have enough memory (it had 256mb). So I switched it with a stick of 512 and now it's crunching along happily. I know I won't be needing any patches or cracks because I won't be using it more than a week. ;)

• 1 month later...

Any progress on getting SP1 to install on an already customized Vista install? I've two systems that need SP1. I could nuke and pave mine, but the other one is my sister's and she complains majorly whenever she has to re-do everything after a nuke and pave. :P

What might be the results of doing a custom vLite'd SP1 DVD and installing over the existing install?

Done so far.

Yesterday I made a Vlited image with SP1 and all drivers need te be included. The Install.wim is only a merely 1466,64 MB in size of 2704 MB after slipstream.

Nearly the half of alle files where deleted and most of them where languages I never use.

Can I speak Chinese or even read simple Chinese? No, so why using this 344 MB of unused bloatware?

The only risk of a Vlite setup are some programs and updates. Run as Administrater works only when shortcuts are on their original place.

I kept Media Center, but whithout sample media and it work like a charm.

Slipstreaming costs exacly one hour on a AMD 64 3800+. They indicate 60-90 min, so it is in my advantage. X64 won't crash during slipstreaming,not even when agressively multitasking.

Job succeed, all hardware working flawlessy :thumbup

It seems nuhi vLite's author made an agreement with MS to lockout SP1 over vLite'd prior. I got SP1 offered just by deleting vLite registry entry. SP1 downloads 68MB, the very smallest size SP1, so not much radically to process. It fails always with 8024200D error, that of course no references exist for.

I'm waiting for second party genius to crack the lockout, at least for systems with conservative deletions, not the 600MB CD Vista slash and burn mods.

My Home Premium vLited to 1.25GB installer disk and 5GB OS result. It's been running since last fall's betas with never a burp except SP1. I bet the solution ends up being a registry merge to patch. Forget hearing any discussion at vLite forums, this MS deal made topic verboten. Ironically, the patch would show up on the sites intent on cracking Vista activation, even though I bought three Vista HP OEM disks to enter legal licenses for vLite'd OS installs.

I doubt there isn't already a race among hackers to publish the first one, probably with GUI and explicit instructions just like the hundreds of freeware Vista enhancers giving back choices. I must have at least 50 reg mods, tools, and answers to Vista's quirks onboard that really are the lost work I don't want to lose.

Anyone with ANY news on this challange front please chime in. This one won't be handed openly, residing at shady resourses at least initially.

and you'll have peace of mind knowing that if you buy any new games, hardware, software, etc. it will work straight out of the box.

lmao...thats the funniest thing i read in a while that made me laugh outloud. i guess you forgot what OS is being discussed cause theres alot of hardware/games/software that never works out of box even on a fresh install of Ultimate. lol, good one though.