GeForce 9800 GTX specs - hopefully this is not true

Thunderbolt 2864

9800GTX.jpg

Well, you NVIDIA fanboys are going to be in for a huge disappointment. If this is the final specs for the 9800 series, I will not buy it. Seriously, the first 8800 series had a 320 bit memory interface, why downgrade it back to the 256 bit? Like they did for the 512 8800 GTS, which was very surprising and very disappointing. Seriously, if NVIDIA is going to release the 9800 series with a 256 bit interface, I will lose a lot of respect for them.

And I was told that the 9800 was going to be a 512 bit interface. This is a whole bunch of BS, I'm telling you. All this wait for nothing and I'm going to be disappointed? Not happy. :realmad:

And I was told that the 9800 was going to be a 512 bit interface. This is a whole bunch of BS, I'm telling you. All this wait for nothing and I'm going to be disappointed? Not happy. :realmad:
Nothing to worry about, logic tells that more then 128 shader units would need more bandwidth, thus a 512bit bus to the memory would be more likely. Speculations about the 9800GTX are 384 shader units with 1GB RAM (GDDR3 or most likely GDDR4).

why downgrade it back to the 256 bit?

I've read that they did some more compression optimizations that actually gives them more bandwidth with the 256-bit interface on the 9-series chips than the had with the 32-bit interfact on the 8-series chips. Time will tell, but I can't see them releasing the top end chips with only a 256-bit interface either.....but stranger things have happened. Maybe instead of a single 256-bit interface it'll be 2x256-bit. Until solid information is released this is all just speculation anyway.

Well, somebody posted this image:

GPUZ_Exp.jpg

Great NVIDIA, you create a higher generation card that has lower specs than the previous generation. Really, NVIDIA, what a wrong move. I think I'll be keeping my 640MB GTS or get a 8800 GTX when its cheaper. Very disappointing indeed.

I wonder if the GX2 is any good since it has dual GPU's. I'll wait for the benchmarks to be released first before making my move. But seriously, I doubt that the 9800 GTX is the card for me. All this wait and it has already been a huge disappointment. And the new ATI cards don't look to appealing either. And games being released these days are kinda demanding, and this is the best NVIDIA could do? Boo.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

With those 3D Mark screenshots posted I'm already quite convinced, unless if somebody was fooling around with us and faked those results then I'll be happy. Until I see the official specs when its released I'm going to be annoyed with these poor specs - and a higher generation hardware should be more superior than its predecessors, not downgrade it.

It is I think readily available on the internet if you do a search but Nvidia said that they were goign to follow Intel's tick-tock strategy. So that means one product will launch will be a new architecture launch whereas the tock would be then just an architecture refresh, process refresh etc. I think the 9800 falls in line with the tock considering how much of a colossal boost the 8800 series were.

Are you calling the 9800Gx2 card the high range? Even if it is so, the performance increase is 30% over an ultra...not bad but when you conisder it is having 2 GPUs in it...its kinda sad.