Install w98 on Large Drives (Above the 137Gb Barrier)

Fredledingue

dencorso,

Q311561.exe is an installer, I can't etract individual files via batch script.

My IO.SYS on my root drive at the moment dates from dec 2001. Is it the latest updated version?

Yes, it is! There are two versions of Win 98SE IO.SYS:

IO.SYS 222390 04/23/1999 22:22 (Win 98SE original)

IO.SYS 222670 12/01/2001 09:37 (Win 98SE Q311561)

In fact, a short time ago, jaclaz found out there exists a further (unofficial) patch to the Q311561 IO.SYS, but for the moment I'm not recomending it, until I can give a closer look into it, to convince myself it's safe and works OK, which I'm meaning to do as soon as I get enough time for it. You can find out more about it here: Patched-IOSYS-for-98SE-and-ME

As for extracting individual files from Q311561 (and from Q239696) you can do it simply by opening them inside WinRAR or 7-Zip. It's easier than what jaclaz proposed above, but requires that you have access to a second machine, already running any Windows, from 95A to Vista (or Linux). I don't know any DOS program able to do it directly, however, sorry! My idea was simply to start the batch using previously extracted files...

BTW, provided you have booted the system from a different disk from the one in which you intend to replece the IO.SYS, I'm positive it is safe to do it in DOS mode. You can rename IO.SYS to, say, IO.OLD and add the new IO.SYS. It'll work fine, from Win 95 up to Win ME (DOS 7.00 to 8.00). This is not true, however, for DOS 6.22 or any earlier version (they required that IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS be physically the first and second files in the disk, respectively, and also that their directory entries be the first and second entries, respectively, or else would refuse to boot... but that's in the past already, isn't it?).

Edited by dencorso

@dencorso

From batch, you use a DOS file splitter, like PARTCOPY:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010116021600/...ine/pcopy02.zip

(courtesy of the Wayback Machine)

or a similar one, to make a file from the bytes starting from byte 67224 (or use GSAR to find occurence of "MSCF"), then run EXTRACT.EXE on the partial "tail" file.

Not exactly starightforward, but allows for doing everything on a DOS machine.

jaclaz

The easiest way to "extracting the file" is still to apply the patches and pick the files manualy.

The idea is that you have already w98 running (either on the same machine or on another one), then it make sens to apply all the patches.

If you don't, let's say you have only an XP computer and you have another computer without anything or you want to downgrade an XP cmputer to w98, in this case you can try different methods for extracting the files. But even easier would be that I upload the files on my website. ;)

Note: batch script updated! (Added: io.sys)

Edited by Fredledingue

@Fredledingue

I had taken this:

Q311561.exe is an installer, I can't etract individual files via batch script.

as:

"it's impossible to extract individual files from batch script"

and just wanted to let you know that it is actually possible. :whistle:

But even easier would be that I upload the files on my website. ;)

Definitely easier. ;)

jaclaz

If you have Nero, you can create a copy of the boot floppy on CD and the CD will act as a bootable disc.

To do that: insert the bootable floppy into its drive, open Nero, create "new", select CD (Boot), save, insert a blank CD-rom and burn. While burning Nero reads the datas from the floppy and copy them on the CD.

@jaclaz: PARTCOPY and GSAR! I didn't know either... great findings, jaclaz, great findings! Thanks a lot!

@Fredledingue: I think the SCANFRAG update adds too much things to the system, in addition to the needed SCANDISK.EXE, so I seached some more and I just found an alternative source for it: the Win ME OEM bootdisk available at bootdisk.com (link)... instead of applying SCANFRAG just create the boot diskette and open the EBD.CAB it contains and extract the Win ME DOS SCANDISK.EXE from inside it. If, however, you decide to apply SCANFRAG, do it first and then apply BHDD30, in this order, just to remain on the safe side, because the dskmaint.dll in SCANFRAG is from Win 98, while the dskmaint.dll in BHDD30 is from Win ME (the one that must be used).

You both rock! :thumbup

I talked a lot, and it was time to walk the talk...

I installed w98se on a 400Gb had disk, on a 38Gb partition on it, with another 345 Gb partition left for multimedia stuffs.

I still have the old hdd, with the full installation still intact, which is very useful.

The funny thing is that the two partitions/drive letters of the hard disk are saddled on the old disk drive letter:

C :, D:, E

C and E belong to a same physical hard disk and D belongs to another one. Not very important, just to say that it can happen.

First thing I have learned is: Do not use ME Bootdisk-Custom from bootdisk.com: It failed to porperly delete old partitions causing a hell of troubles. (full story here)

After I realised that, I used fdisk and format from BHDD30.zip and it worked.

Maybe other bootdisks from bootdisk.com work, I didn't test them.

Then more problems!

When launching windows setup I got this:

Please wait while Setup initializes
Scanning system registry...
Copying files needed for Windows Setup...

and then nothing happened.

==> I solved this problem by rebooting via floppy boot disk (original) in "Safe mode command prompt only".

Then he accpeted to install windows.

During restart, after the installer had copied all files, I pressed Ctrl and rebooted in dos mode to replace all files for supporting big hard drives, and to edit system.ini to support more than 512 Mb of memory.

For that I used the batch script above.

To my susprise, several files couldn't be copied because the location didn't existed yet or were not present in the directory where the bat file was.

The latter is very surprising, but ok.

Very cool was the edit command to add entries into system.ini.

Unfortunately, Windows didn't want to start:

Windows protection error.

Pffft...! :blink:

That's the worse error you can have because you can't load in safe mode.

==> The reason? IO.SYS had not been replaced by the bat script. In fact it cannot be replaced in plain Dos mode. That's maybe the only file on the whole system which can be deleted/replaced under windows but not under Dos.

So, I reset the jumpers and the ribbon cables to get back to the old hardware configuration and restarted on the old hard drive. Then, I replaced IO.sys on the new drive, simply with windows explorer. (full story here)

The question is: How to do without a second drive (<137 Gb) with windows already installed? I don't know, but I'v read that such error is rather rare.

I hope I'v got all the "rare" errors here. :wacko:

Maybe a bad IO.sys on the boot floppy was also the reason why setup didn't start at first?

:D Hah! Sometimes I think that XP and Vista users are lucky ones! :D

Hi, Fredledingue!

Sorry, it's my bad... :( I forgot to mention that you need to change IO.SYS attributes before being able to replace it in DOS mode, AND did not recheck your batch file for it. So, let's spell it here:

1) run ATTRIB IO.SYS from the root directory and you'll see:

SHR IO.SYS C:\IO.SYS

...this means that IO.SYS has the System, Hidden and Read-only attributes

2) now run ATTRIB -s -h -r IO.SYS from the root directory

3) run again ATTRIB IO.SYS from the root directory and you'll see:

IO.SYS C:\IO.SYS

...this means that IO.SYS now has no attributes

4) replace IO.SYS

5) now run ATTRIB +s +h +r IO.SYS from the root directory

6) run again ATTRIB IO.SYS from the root directory and you'll see:

SHR IO.SYS C:\IO.SYS

...this means that IO.SYS has again the System, Hidden and Read-only attributes

Of course, you only need to add to the batch file step (2) before replacing IO.SYS and step (5) after it.

It also means that you need to have ATTRIB.EXE present in the directory from which the batch file is run.

Sorry. :blushing: I've performed the substitution of IO.SYS from plain DOS so many times already that I forgot to mention you need to change the attributes, and then change them back... But it can be done from DOS, and it can be done with a batch file. Windows Explorer doesn't care much about the DOS file-attributes, but DOE does care.

In what regards the attribution of the drive letters, DOS will give C: to the active primary partition in the first physical disk, then D: to the active primary partition in the second physical disk, then give the next letters to all drives in the extended partition of the first physical drive, then to those in the second physical drive (and then give letters to any inactive additonal primary partitions present in the first, then the second physical drives, in this order, when they exist).

Edited by dencorso

Hi, denocrso!

I always thought the oposite: that Windos cared more about attributes han dos, that dos can do everything...

All right: I updated the batch script.

Added attrib commands and also changed some "move" into "copy" to avoid the files to disapear in case we neeed them again.

The attrib command should work if you restart from the boot option menu because it uses the windows installed files. Maybe not if you reboot from a floppy.

Do you think tha a wrong IO.SYS could be the cause of a failed setup launch?

Edited by Fredledingue

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Got far too many chestnuts in my plate to chew...

The attrib command should work if you restart from the boot option menu because it uses the windows installed files. Maybe not if you reboot from a floppy.

All you need is to make sure you have ATTRIB.EXE (14.89 KiB) present in the floppy.

Do you think tha a wrong IO.SYS could be the cause of a failed setup launch?

I guess you've just shown it does :yes:

I've done some tests with two different 500 MB external USB drives, a SAMSUNG HD501LJ (inside a Conceptronic Grab'n'Go CSM3PL500) and a IOMEGA HDS72505, both formatted as FAT-32, with 32 KiB clusters (15.2 million clusters).

The FORMAT, FDISK, SCANDISK and SCANDSKW/DISKMAINT recomended in this thread work flawlessly.

So does NDD (2002) for DOS. XXCOPY (32-bit, v. 2.96.5) also did a nice job in copying the contents of one of them (full to the brink) to the other, although it took just over 8h to finish.

On the other hand ndd32.exe (v. 18.0.0.62, from NSW 2005) gives a nasty BSOD quite fast on either. It isn't able to tackle 15.2 millions of clusters. This is to add one more result to the excellent info provided by 98 Guy in the links in post #37.

• 4 weeks later...

Using Partition Magic 8 I have had perfect success using a WD-250 My Book essential version. There is a trick to it though. First wipe out any existing partions. Next create a fat32 primary partition with a size of 120 gig (or 50%). Next create a second fat32 primary partition for the remaining 120 gigs. You do not want any extended partitions or logical drives. Once you are done Windows will read, write, defrag(oem), and scandisk(oem) each 120 gig partition without error msgs. Even Norton Utilities sees it as a clean drive. You don't need any LBA drivers or patched files. Now you can only have 2 primary partions on a single physical drive in Win98 so this doesn't work with drives larger than 250 gig without wasting a whole bunch of drive space.

Hope this helps.

Grizzly Bear

• 2 months later...
Before gathering all the files from theirs Windows locations you must have applied all these patches (already mentioned above):

Q311561

BHDD30

48BitLBA

SCANFRAG

[...]

Any comment?

Hi, Fredledingue!

Great news! :w00t: Maximus-Decim has released BHDD31e, inside the latest MDCU.

Find it standalone here: BHDD31.ZIP

It contains the appropriate SCANDISK for DOS, so SCANFRAG is no longer needed.

It also contains ESDI_506.PDR v. 4.10.0.2230, which IS LLXX's patched ESDI_506.PDR v. 4.10.0.2225, with the version changed to 2230 so as to avoid any doubt that it IS the patched for 48-LBA version. [bTW, this renumbering is a legacy from the time when LLXX developed the patch, as there was a group that defended renumbering and another group favoring not renumbering, and it indicates that MD sides with the former group... No consensus has been arrived at, and probably never will. But it's OK, what matters really is that the patched file works beautifully. :yes: ]

Hence, your procedure now can be done using just two files: BHDD31e and Q311561!

Would you, please, update your post #26 accordingly?

Edited by dencorso

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but does the unpatched Win98 FDISK does not only have a cosmetic defect, but that incorrect figure it displays also limits your operations? For example, I tried to FDISK a 80GB drive, but it showed my drive @ 100% to only have much less than the correct 76317MB capacity (Which is displayed in the patched FDISK), and does not allow me to partition my disk beyond that.

I DO know that the cosmetic defect in format.com does not affect it's function...