N00b Qestions

spystyle

Hello again!

I have made an Nlite'd XP I like very much!

It has SP3 and Minlogon integrated, only 6 services running, DirectX installs, MAME32 36 runs. It uses only 51.08 MB RAM (out of 256 MB) - that's acceptable as far as I'm concerned - only a 64 MB DIMM is lost to the OS. To entire Windows CD, before I add driverpacks, is only 130 MB. The "Windows" directory is only 336 MB.

I have a problem though - I made it out of an "upgrade" XP and I have to insert a 98 disk during install to prove that I'm "upgrading". How can I change my "upgrade" XP into a "full" XP ?

Thank you,

Craig

Is this in a VM that you get so little memory footprint? In a VM, I always get lower footprint than in a real install. I get about 95mb with 9 services (plus explorer.exe obviously). I even remove more than you do, but fail to get a decent memory footprint...

Well, that's why I write "out of 256"

I've decided that Windows will use more RAM, if you have more RAM.

So, try this:

Nlite an XP, run it in VM to make sure it works, adjust the VM to have the same amount of RAM that the "real" PC has, then when you install it on the real PC it should still be similar.

Another thing that may have something to do with it, I think VM emulates a 2D PCI video card and ISA Soundblaster 16 card. I'm willing to bet that the more hefty hardware uses more system memory.

I don't know though... But I am convinced that VM should be "relative" to real life PCs.

So.. how do I edit my XP CD so it is "full" and not an "upgrade" disk?

Cheers,

Craig

VMWare has certain "Optimizations" That runs faster than a real install.

Truly, it doesn't take an hour for DOS to format a 2 GB HDD like the good old days :)

But I am unsure if the optimizations affect the RAM usage.

Cheers,

Craig

I have a problem though - I made it out of an "upgrade" XP and I have to insert a 98 disk during install to prove that I'm "upgrading". How can I change my "upgrade" XP into a "full" XP ?

The "usual" way ;) is to go and buy a LICENSE, the guys that sell them tend to give you a "Retail" original CD also in exchange for your money. :whistle:

You might want to read attentively these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Forum-Rules-Upda...ead-t18408.html

before going further down this path. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The "usual" way ;) is to go and buy a LICENSE, the guys that sell them tend to give you a "Retail" original CD also in exchange for your money. :whistle:

You might want to read attentively these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Forum-Rules-Upda...ead-t18408.html

before going further down this path. :unsure:

jaclaz

I have a bunch of licenses. I build computers and I have many cases with the CD-Key sticker on it - that counts as a license I take it?

It's just this particular disk is "upgrade" only.

I don't see how it is against the rules to change the install routine to skip the "upgrade" check, but I will not mention it again.

Cheers,

Craig

edit : oops, it just occurred to me that I can use my lastsession.ini with a "full" XP disk, I have a few. I didn't think of that initially.

Edited by spystyle