Older DVD Software Players

galahs

I have a Pentium II 333MHz and I have been mucking around with some DVD Software on it atm.

I actually have a Creative DXR3 DVD Decoder card but I'm not a fan of the loop back cable. It was all and good when I ran my old 17 inch CRT monitor at 800x600 but now that I have a 19inch LCD monitor it just can't cut the mustard. It's just too blurry!

My 2nd dilemma is I have a 3dfx Voodoo 4 so its ability to accelerate DVD is minimal.

So I went on the hunt to see if I could find a DVD program that would run sufficiently on my system basically just using the CPUs grunt (or lack off).

I have tried:

Media Player Classic - (with and without ffdshow) Runs but it has sound glitches and slight jerkiness throughout playback

Mplayer - Just can't get it to run stably. (probably because you are meant to compile it for your exact system. I can't be bothered)

PowerDVD 4 - Runs but glitches in sound and video playback

Lalim DVD Player 1.02 - This little 716kb player almost manages to achieve it. Again just a few little sound clicks and jerks. So close!!!

http://www.geocities.com/lalimdvdplayer/index.html

PowerDVD 1.5 Trial - Seems to work!!! Wow. PowerDVD 1.5 manages to display a fullscreen movie without a problem (as long as 2 channel audio is selected)!. The problem is... how the hell do I get a full version of it?

Trial Still Available from: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=powerdvd

So PowerDVD 1.5 proves it is possible by using older DVD software. The question is... where do you get older (legal) versions of full copies from?

And why do newer versions of the programs require so much more processor grunt?

What have you found to be the fastest DVD programs for older systems, and if you can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. :)

Have you tried VLC?

As for PowerDVD, you can always try e-mailing/calling the company. If not that, than I'm sure you can Google up some places where you can find a serial code. I'm sure I even know of a few places, but that's getting into a subject this board most likely doesn't condone

I found I had an old OEM cdrom with PowerDVD 3.0 on it.

It works ok. The video is slightly jittery but the sound playback is smooth.

Trying to avoid legal issues, a serial isn't as much a problem as finding the full version of the older programs.

Why would VLC be a good choice?

VLC and KM Player both had playback glitches (mostly in the sound).

I used the registry tweak to allow Media Player 6.4 to play DVD's, it used the PowerDVD 3.0 decoder it appears but struggled to display a smooth image and sound. Interesting. The same codec but worse performance.

You are not going to find a miracle application that is going to play DVD smoothly on a 333Mhz computer IMO.

Ye of little faith! :hello:

PowerDVD 3 works almost perfect though with CPU usage of 90%, PowerDVD 1.5 trial is a touch lower at around 85% (if only I could find a full version)

Yet to test the older WinDVD formats (also hard to find)

Ye of little faith! :hello:

Opening a church anytime soon ?

:D

:thumbup The Win9x Congregation!

Can anyone tell me why playing a dvd causes hard disk activity?

My hard disk light is constantly flashing throughout playback. I thought it might be to do with accessing virtual memory, but my system has 256MB of ram and with the DVD running there is still plenty of free RAM available.

I thought this might be because of the way Win98SE handles memory allocation but I experience the same thing in WinXP.

If I could get it to stop constantly accessing the Hard Disk I might just free up come cpu cycles allowing me to have stutter free play back.