Usb Storage Driver pack for Windows 95

PassingBy

Thank you, sir, but this does not address the problem I currently experience and for which I seek resolution.

On a side note, I am well aware of the USB mass storage pack created by RLoew and LoneCrusader. This pack has excellent functionality, however it triggers the shut-down bug on my machine.

Regards.

On 12/13/2020 at 7:35 AM, assenort said:

the USB pack install its own patched nodriver.inf file in

C:\WINDOWS\INF

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CAB

so my question is - should I leave this file as is, or try to replace it with a previous version?

Obviously, if you want to remove the entire pack, you should delete all files modified by it and replace them with the versions from the corresponding previous update(s).

This pack was long ago superseded by XUSBSUPP; I see you are aware of it...

On 12/13/2020 at 2:02 PM, assenort said:

Thank you, sir, but this does not address the problem I currently experience and for which I seek resolution.

On a side note, I am well aware of the USB mass storage pack created by RLoew and LoneCrusader. This pack has excellent functionality, however it triggers the shut-down bug on my machine.

Regards.

What shut-down bug? I am not aware of any such bug, you seem to be the only one who has this issue?

Hi LoneCrusader:

Thank you for responding to my post and giving a meaningful advice.

Back in 2016 when I was setting up my Win95 machine, I tried the XUSBSUPP pack. Immediately after its installation, the computer began constantly refusing to shut down, instead displaying and getting stuck at "Please wait while your computer shuts down" message (red letters on blue screen, hope you recall what I am referring to, if not see pic below). This annoyed me to no extent, and I had to uninstall the XUSBSUPP pack even though it had excellent functionality. After the uninstall, the shutdown problem disappeared*.

After that I installed the half-baked pack created by PassingBy, which did not cause problems with shutting down the machine, and seem to be working fine. Only recently I discovered that the pack has serious deficiency with both functionality and un-installation, hence my first post in this topic.

*It is not just only the XUSBSUPP pack that causes shutdown problem on my machine, occasionally it was triggered by some other things that I was never able to acknowledge with 100% certainty. For example, from time to time when I try to shut down while leaving a mounted image (using Alcohol 120%), the problem manifest itself again. Another example is when I transfer files to the Win95 machine via the home network, most often from a Win10 machine. These cases are random, though, while the XUSBSUPP pack triggers the problem every time I turn off the computer.

Truth be told, the shutdown problem (I refer to it as a bug, maybe incorrectly) in Win95 is one of the most difficult and annoying to troubleshoot, it continued appearing even in Win98 and Win98SE, when I believe finally a patch to rectify it was prepared and distributed.

Greeting.

1.jpg

Edited by assenort

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:56 AM, assenort said:

Immediately after its installation, the computer began constantly refusing to shut down, instead displaying and getting stuck at "Please wait while your computer shuts down" message (red letters on blue screen, hope you recall what I am referring to, if not see pic below). This annoyed me to no extent, and I had to uninstall the XUSBSUPP pack even though it had excellent functionality. After the uninstall, the shutdown problem disappeared*.

After that I installed the half-baked pack created by PassingBy, which did not cause problems with shutting down the machine, and seem to be working fine. Only recently I discovered that the pack has serious deficiency with both functionality and un-installation, hence my first post in this topic.

Sorry for the late reply, and I can't really offer much help...  IMO, it's probably a hardware-specific issue with your system.

But... By chance, when you encountered this issue with XUSBSUPP were you attempting to shut down with a USB drive still attached to the system? If so, this may be the culprit.. I rather doubt it in a way as I believe it would have been manifested somewhere before during all these years. But I do know that most, if not all, of the "power management" code was stripped from the RLUSB drivers (originating from Microsoft UMSS sample source for 98) as a first step towards Windows 95 compatibility back when the project began. It would be interesting to see if having a USB drive connected or not makes any difference on your system.

Also, if you wish to experiment you might try using other (older) versions of the USB driver stack files (USBD.SYS/USBHUB.SYS/UHCD.SYS/OPENHCI.SYS) from the other Microsoft HotFixes to see if any of them do not exhibit the issue. It's possible one of the "fixes" breaks something on specific hardware configurations...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again and thanks for the new reply.

With the XUSBSUPP installed, it did not matter if the USB flash drive was plugged in or not - the shutdown manifested itself every time. Normally, on this particular machine I avoid leaving anything plugged in, be it flash drive or mounted virtual disk in Alcohol 120.

I have tried different versions of the USB driver stack files - it did not make any difference.

Perhaps the suggestion that a hardware incompatibility exists is closest to the mark. The machine has Gigabyte mobo with VIA KT133 chipset, which was problematic to begin with (they later came up with VIA KT133A revision to rectify hardware issues).

The driver pack from PassingBy seems to work better, except for the EjectUSB.exe utility - which breaks the overall functionality. What I mean by this is that once the flash drive is ejected with the help with this utility, it cannot be reconnected unless the computer is restarted. In this regard, could you suggest different version of the utility that I can try?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

• 2 years later...

Have you seen this?

Post by @rloew » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:31 am (on B.A. https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40171 )

I was able to get USB 2 to work with Windows 95.
It took a combination of Files from 98FE, a Beta File, an Interrupt Driver I had to write, and some Patches to get it to work.

Has @rloew released the Interrupt Driver and these patches somewhere in the past?