Video Card Upgrade ?

c0nt3nd3r

I'm looking at upgrading the video card that came with my pc - GeForce 8400GS as it struggles to run most games.

Here's a link to the hardware specs of my pc... HP Pavilion Elite m9040n.

I'm looking to upgrade to a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB.

It doesn't show the PS wattage so unless someone else that has this type of pc knows which PS comes with it I would have to call HP or open the case to know whether or not I would have to upgrade the PS.

What would be the recommended wattage of a PS if I were to upgrade based on my current pc specs?

You should be able to open the case and find out the wattage from the power supply itself. I believe it's required to be on the PSU (you may have to remove it from the case to find the sticker though).

Odds are that it has plenty of power to run even an 8800GT based card though. :)

HP's site says Power supply - 300-watt (Merlot C) regulated

Would that be enough to run either a Radeon 3870 or GeForce 8800GT? If not, which PS would you recommend?

Do I need 2 PCI Express x16 slots to run CrossFire or SLI as I noticed my motherboard only has the one PCI Express x16 slot?

I do however, have 2 PCI Express x1 slots.

i say it wouldn't be enough, i would use at least a 400W psu with that, but if HP isn't one of the OEMs that make it impossible to easily remove the PSU then you can replace it easily enough but it will bite about another $90 (maybe?) out of your wallet. but it all depends on what devices you have.

you need 2 pci-e x16 slots for xfire or sli but if you get a HD3870 or 8800GT you most likely won't be SLI-ng or xfiring. you can get pci-e x1 graphics cards, but no way can you get them manufactured by amd or nvidia afaik, so no xfire or sli with them :P

Edited by clidx

if you cant replace the power supply you can add another one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=2478152

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=2700091

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817101025

ive never seen one in use before but you gotta admit, its a nice idea if the case wont llow you to replace it

I wonder why people say it "could" not be easy to replace the PSU, well it is.

The PSU is as basic as it can get, just replace it by a 420/520W PSU and get your self the video card you want.

Forget Crossfire for now, just a waist of money as you need to replace your case and motherboard. You could try to sell you just new bought computer and build your self one, but this is ONLY when you know how too ;).

• 1 month later...

In my system specs the following is stated:

Expansion slots

Slot type Quantity

PCI One (None available)

PCI Express x16 One (None available)

PCI Express x1 Two (One available)

Am I safe to assume that my current video card is using the PCI Express x16 slot as it says I have one but it's unavailable?

The release of the Radeon HD 3870 x2 has peaked my interest, but being that the card is somewhat larger would my case now be a problem getting this card to fit?

If I can keep my current board and case I can keep my costs down to just the price of whichever video card and a power supply capable of running the following:

Intel C2Q6600

DVD Burner

2x320GB HDs

Media Card Reader

24" Monitor

Current Video Card nVideo 8400GS, but changing to one of the following if current board and case can handle it:

Radeon HD 3870

Radeon HD 3870 x2

GeForce 8800GT

I wonder why people say it "could" not be easy to replace the PSU, well it is.

A bit late but I had to reply anyway...

No, it isn't. With OEM systems they sometimes use a non-standard pinout. Compaq (now owned by...guess who...HP) was notorious for doing this. Dell also did the same thing at one time (I'm not sure if they still do). So, it's not as simple as just purchasing an ATX power supply and slapping it in the case. If the OEM uses a non-standard pinout you have to make sure you purchase a PSU that uses the same pinout.

And Dell was using Intel motherboards in the systems I was referring to (you could even flash it with an Intel BIOS and it worked fine). It still used a non-standard pinout. :)

You think the tier 1 motherboard makers won't cater to the tier 1 OEMs if they ask them to make a non-standard pinout for the ATX connector? They know where their bread is buttered...

You think the tier 1 motherboard makers won't cater to the tier 1 OEMs if they ask them to make a non-standard pinout for the ATX connector? They know where their bread is buttered...
Sadly enough indeed, but, I have to say that it’s getting less and less ;).