GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft (MSDBuild v5.5)

Also, I do not know why you needed to repackage things. MSDownloads.exe (if built how I documented above) already runs from svcpack.inf without any switches. It seems like a lot of work to repackage something that I have already showed you how to package.

No, it wasn't much work at all.

I've built it with nLite add-on maker...

Edited by spitf1r3

Thank you for this truly outstanding guide, DarkShadows! I never figured all these ActiveX controls could be installed without the excessive clickwork that is normally required. :thumbup

Just a little info on the side: People who'd rather use command lines for their unattended setup process might find the following command to be of interest:

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 .\???.inf

Edited by legionaire

• 2 weeks later...

This guide is simply great and perfectly fits my requirements.

However being a noob here, I am kind of stuck with the SFX file creation thing.

I create the SFX file in the following way.

1workvr4.th.jpg

2addarchievehp9.th.jpg

3select2optionskg7.th.jpg

4advancedsfxxl6.th.jpg

5msdownloadskw4.jpg

6extractsj8.th.jpg

When I double click this SFX file nothing happens.

Can someone help me with this step.

Thanks

Update 1:

OK! by adding the following settings to the above SFX file, I made this thing working.

However it is NOT FULLY automated.

Under Advanced SFX Options I mention a "path where to extract the files"

c:\MSUpdates.

During Windows XP setup, it asks me to click on NEXT so that it can extract the required files.

Could some one please point what additional settings need to be made to fully automate this process.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't want to answer these types of questions, but here you go. If you are using WinRar to create your MSDownloads.exe, do this:

1. Open WinRar.txt
  2. Select my working comment and copy it to the Windows clipboard.
  3. Close WinRar.txt
  4. Select all the files in your WORK folder (all those on the checklist in my guide above).
  5. Right-click and select WinRar - Add to Archive... from the Windows Explorer Context Menu. Fill out each tab from Right-To-Left
  6. On the Comment tab, paste the comment you copied from my file.
  7. On the Time tab, ensure the following options are set:

1. High precision modification time
    2. Store Creation Time = enabled
    3. Include files = Of any time
    4. Set Archive Time = Latest File Time

5. Ensure nothing is enabled on the Backup tab.
    6. On the Files tab, ensure the following options are set:
      1. File paths = Store Relative Paths

[*] On the Advanced tab, ensure the following options are enabled:

1. No options on the tab itself
  2. Click the Compression button and set the following options on that screen

1. SFX Options button—pasting my comment already set these SFX Options correctly for you. You can take a look at them so you know where they go, but do not change anything.

2. On the General tab, ensure the following options are enabled:
      1. Archive name = MSDownloads.exe
      2. Update Mode = Add and replace files
      3. Archive format = RAR
      4. Compression Method = Best
      5. Create SFX archive
      6. Create solid archive
      7. Test archived files

[*] Since these options will work well for any SFX silent switchless installer, save them for later use

1. Click the Profiles... button.
  2. Select save current settings to new profile
  3. Profile Name = SFX Silent package (disable all other options)

[*] Click OK to create MSDownloads.exe.

If you had previously created the SFX Silent Package profile, you could've just done this:

1. Open WinRar.txt
  2. Select my working comment and copy it to the Windows clipboard.
  3. Close WinRar.txt
  4. Select all the files in your WORK folder (all those on the checklist in my guide above).
  5. Right-click and select WinRar - Add to Archive... from the Windows Explorer Context Menu.
  6. Click the Profiles... button.
  7. Select the SFX Silent Package profile.
  8. On the Comment tab, paste the comment you copied from my file.
  9. Click OK to create MSDownloads.exe.

By creating an SFX with my comment (and the settings above), you will get the smallest SFX archive file size, and the SFX will unpack to a temporary folder inside of %Temp%, launch SFX.cmd (the installation payload), and finally delete the unpacked temporary files after installation.

Text compression = auto
Prediction order = 63
Memory to use = 128
Audio compression = auto
Channels = 0
True color compression = auto
General compression - Dictionary Size = 4096
Enable all three compression types
Edited by DarkShadows

I have learned that there is another Windows Update that is a requirement. I have updated the first post accordingly (MSDownloads.zip has not changed). This is of minor impact to most, as you should already be including the required Windows Update in your XPCDs anyway. See the first post for more information.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I am not getting the shortcut to windows update on my start menu. I had a look at the InstWUWC.inf file and found that there was no entry for add.shortcut. I would have corrected it myself but i don't know how to enter the path to the icon in shell 32.dll

InstWUWC.inf does not actually add a Windows Update shortcut, which should already be in the Start Menu as a result of a default Windows XP installation. If you are installing InstMUWC.inf (which creates a Microsoft Update shortcut), then you no longer require the Windows Update shortcut anyway. This is because either shortcut will both end up taking you to the Microsoft Update web site anyway (this is result of registering the MUWeb ActiveX addon).

Still to answer your queston, InstMCWC.inf has the answer to the path for shell32.dll.

[Add.Shortcut]
;Add shortcut directly to Start Menu
Name = "%Shortcut%", 8,22
CmdLine = 16422,"Internet Explorer",IEXPLORE.EXE "http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx"
InfoTip = "%InfoTip%"
IconPath = 11,,shell32.dll
IconIndex = 13

You would just change the IconIndex value to the correct index of the Windows Update Icon. And change the URL above to the correct one for Windows Update.

Yes, I do have plans to update the guide and the downloads. However, I'm in the middle of moving right now and I have no time to complete it.

I should also point out to folks that the guide above was written when I was still building PCs with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. I have since started integrating IE7 and that is where I have also noticed new ActiveX controls. I believe if you are still using IE6 that not much has changed.

Hi DarkShadows,

thanks for that guide! Works well on WinXP. (except for the Microsoft Update Catalog which seems to have a new version up). However, I recently switched to Vista and now I tried to run parts of your installation on Vista (only MU, OGA and MS Update Catalog) since Windows Update and WGA is altready part of the OS).

It all installs fine (no error messages) but I found the following:

1. Microsoft Update seems to work but when opening the MU website one has to acknowledge the license again although I did this before grabbing the datastore.edb (and it works on XP). I even grabbed the datastore.edb again from a Vista PC but it seems the relevant info is not stored there (anymore).

2. OGA seems to be installed fine (shows up in "%windir%\Downloaded Programs") and I verified it is the latest version 1.6.28.0 but when trying to download an OGA protected update, IE insists on installing the activeX update again.

3. Same goes for the Microsoft Update Catalog but that goes for WinXP as well.

Maybe it is just a small thing thats different when installing on Vista. At least it installs fine.

If you (or anyone else) have some time ... ?

Thanks,

Alex

• 1 month later...

Great piece of work DS. I recently ran into a snag trying to integrate the latest WGA for XP into this. I get prompted to download the new one on fresh builds now. Any updates buddy? :)

should i do this method before or after i integrate the SP3?

i have a copy of WinXP SP0 .. so the thing is i

copy winxp content into a folder

slipstream windows media player 11

go thru your method for windows update

open nlite and beginning slipstreaming sp3 *i got a dialogue box saying about latest hotfix, should nlite remove it 1st * i ignored it

slipstream sata drivers, ie7 .. include VL key..

and create image..

other things..

can i do the same setting for sfx you creating MSDownloads.exe to WindowsUpdateAgent.exe ?

On the Advanced tab, ensure the following options are enabled:

1. No options on the tab itself

2. Click the Compression button and set the following options on that screen

1. Text compression = auto

2. Prediction order = 63

3. Memory to use = 128

4. Audio compression = auto

5. Channels = 0

6. True color compression = auto

7. General compression - Dictionary Size = 4096

8. Enable all three compression types

Edited by orestes

I was able to successfully integrate the latest WGA into my XP SP3 source using this. I still use IE6 in my slipstreams, so if anyone else is in the same predicament I can post how I was able to accomplish it.

Edited by Kilyin