22" Lcd Monitor

ripken204

so what is the best 22" monitor out there?

i was looking into getting one a few months ago

i was originally thinking about the Samsung 226CW but i still cant find them anywhere

so is there a new beast monitor out there or what?

I have the Samsung 226BW, doesn't get much better then that IMHO.

well i am just afraid of the panel. there are so many now..

Who cares what panel you get? That whole panel controversy is just crap. In the end, it's all the same thing.

Edited by jcarle

I have the Samsung 226BW, doesn't get much better then that IMHO.

well i am just afraid of the panel. there are so many now..

Who cares what panel you get? That whole panel controversy is just crap. In the end, it's all the same thing.

well that's your opinion. go ask all of the people that recevied the bad panels. there are even reviews comparing multiple panels side-by-side.

So the higher the number for contrast the better? How about a 800:1 contrast ratio; 500 cd/m2 brightness?

Thanks

I prefer higher contrast, and lower brightness (than average) since most screens are already too bright, and I like to be able to use them at night without burning my eyes out.

800:1 is too low by today's standards, and industry average. I wouldn't buy it.

I'm using an 800:1 LCD right now, its standard, nothing spectacular. I would gladly trade it in for a 5000:1.

Doesn't Samsung have the new 5000:1 LCD panels out soon?

That's a dynamic contrast. The actual contrast is either 800:1 or 1000:1. Samsung is pulling the same "trick" when listing their specs (they list a 3000:1 contrast ratio).

Dell just came out with a new UltraSharp 22" (the 2208WFP). It has the 92% color gamut like the new HC version of their 24" and 30" monitors (oddly, the 27" had it long before those two models). Most typical LCD monitors have ~72% color gamut. The 2208WFP is on sale right now for $298 ($41 instant savings).

Short of that I wouldn't look at anything other than the Samsung 226CW, which, as you found out, is near impossible to find anywhere. Even PriceGrabber doesn't list it anywhere. My understanding of the difference between the 226BW and the 226CW is much like the difference between the 2407WFP and the 2407WFP-HC...it has the new higher 92% color gamut. I'm not sure why no one is carrying it though. Maybe Samsung dropped it already?