SATA DVD Drives

As SATA DVD drives have come right down in price, was considering getting some for my PC and removing my IDE ones.

My question is do they work like IDE ones when installing windows? As in they just work, cause with connecting them to the SATA controller, as with hard drives, you need the Sata drivers to see them, that the same with DVD drives?

Just wanna make sure as I havent installed any yet.

You have to aware of one thing though!!!

Not all SATA controllers support SATA ATAPI properly, this is especially true of chipsets such as older SiS, VIA and Promise controllers. Most modern motherboard on-board SATA controllers though usually have no issue. Nonetheless, there's a lot of advantages to running SATA optical drives. I would never be able to run four drives simultaneously without SATA.

When necessary, I run my 'old' IDE DVD combo r/w drives on SATA with the use of a few SATA/IDE paddle card converters.

Works great. The coverters I buy all have JM 20330 chipsets. JM makes chipsets to run ATA100/133 to SATA 1.5 and 3.0 channels.

However, I also note that SATA-only mobos are few and far between. Usually there is at least one ATA133 connector available. And we all have piles of ATA cables in that box in the basement to go along with those perfectly useable DVD combo drives.

Edited by newsposter

However, I also note that SATA-only mobos are few and far between. Usually there is at least one ATA133 connector available.

We had to search for our old SCSI cards to put a cdrw in a user's pc, the new PC we have received this year have no IDE connector. There is still a floppy connector though.

the only reason id wanna keep my current ata drive is cause its chipped region free, and i watch all my movies on my comp, surround sound - sounds ace, i know u can flash rom drives, but always a chance of that killing ur drive!

the fact SATA drives are same price as ATA drives now makes me wanna change to them.

Also, on the note of mobo connectors, we had a new server at work, no floppy connector on board, have to use USB one if needed.

Fasing out old connections? maybe?

the only reason id wanna keep my current ata drive is cause its chipped region free, and i watch all my movies on my comp, surround sound - sounds ace, i know u can flash rom drives, but always a chance of that killing ur drive!

By the way, my four SATA based Pioneer DVR-212Ds are all rip-unlocked and region free.

Edited by jcarle