New Gaming / Graphic system needed

tim_ver

I am trying to get a new pc for Grphic design and gaming one that will have enough power and not need any updates in hardware for at least a few years. I have been looking for a long time and figured prices are pretty good now.

Here is what I have for the package so far:

1- COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $199.99

1- BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $529.99

1- BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOCE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $399.99

1- Thermaltake W0116RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 750W Power Supply $189.99

2- OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P13332GK $799.98

($374.99 each)

1- ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard $349.99

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - $135.99

1- Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 Merom 2.33GHz Socket M Processor Model BX80537T7600 $642.00

I am not sure on the video card so both are listed but only need one of them and I am leaning towards the BFGR88640GTSOCE now. I read they get really hot so how do I counter this well (Fans)? Also on the CPU is this good or should I go with the Intel core 2 Extreme chip by Intel? Also for mother boards is this a solid board? I have seen some ABit boards that go up to 32gig this Asus goes up to only 8gb. The 2x4gb Memory is hard to find in DDR3 and pricy so I went for 2x1gig x2 for 4gig. Not sure if I need 4gig or not please respond.

I want to run if worth it the Windows XP 64 bit or Vista but Vista is not even to service pack 2 so I want to stick with more stable OS like Windows XP Sp2 which I heard 3 is on the way next month.

Ok chime in please ask any questions needed.

Thanks

There's a couple of things.

1) That processor is a mobile processor and does NOT go with that desktop board.

2) The price for the memory is outrageous.

3) There's no significant reason at this time to go with DDR3 instead of DDR2.

If you want something that's going to last a long time and you won't need to upgrade for a long time and you have the budget, go with a QX9650 processor, 8GB of DDR2 (4 x 2GB), and the 8800GTX. Obviously, you'll need to verify that your power supply meets the requirements and you'll need to pick another motherboard which is DDR2 based and supports the QX9650.

And before anyone whines that you don't NEED 8GB for graphic's design, no, you don't, but if you want fast(er), you do. Photoshop itself is a pig when working will large high resolution multi-layer images.

To continue:

- 4GB would be the minimum indeed, 8GB, I don’t know but you could take 2x 2GB for example and yes, DDR2.

- For the Video Card look at the 8800GT best price/performance rating for high-end gaming cards.

- Motherboard, again from ASUS or Gigabyte, take a look at the Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6 for example.

- CPU, Quad cored indeed, one from the Q(X)xxxx series would fit like jcarle also stated.

Ok, Thanks.

I now have for a CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor. And to keep it cool a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler.

And for Memory I can not find any that is DDR2 1333 to match up with the CPU, All I can find is a lower number than 1333 and it will slow down the performance I have been told. Best is even and then second is Memory higher then Cpu. Aand the CPU is 1333 mHZ for FSB.

Is this true?

If you can, wait for Phenom. The higher end models.

If nothing else, it will force Intel to play a pricing war over the middle-low end. That means savings!

That and the 8800GTS is getting a refresh. Its going to be cooler, smaller, and a bit faster. Don't know when its going to happen, but you can always use an 8800GT if you can get your hands on one.

And if you're hell bent on an Intel, get the Quad instead. Its great for rendering, the duo is better for games (few games use 4 cores, that's why).

Edited by brucevangeorge

When is the Phenom coming out or due out?

What about the Memory? What is good?

So on the CPU the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - $529, is the way to go? This is great for GAMES and Graphic design? I also see it is only 1066mhz for FSB.

For video it is BFG you are talking about? So I should wait on this also, when is the new look coming out?

Thanks

Just normal DDR2 800MHz, you don’t need the RAM to be on the same speed as the FSB and 333MHz (667MHz DDR) will be 1:1 with he Quad pumped FSB (1333MHz /4=333MHz).

For the CPU you would do better to buy a Q6600, and yes it’s 1066MHz FSB, but there will be almost NO difference if it had 1333MHz FSB.

Some motherboards have the multiplier unlocked. For example a Pentium E2180 works normally on 10*200MHz =2GHz, but also 6*333MHz =2GHz. In this case we go from a FSB on 800 to 1333MHz and there we can see the difference in performance. The only thing that could be a problem is that the CPU uses more power when idle (like we have computers to stand idle the whole day :P). Intel uses Speedstep technology that drops the multiplier down when idle, using less power and generating less heat.

Differences between the 8800GT and the new, still not released 8800GT, are 16 shaders. So the GT uses 112 shaders and the GTS 128 shaders. nVidia for sure is waiting till almost all there older GTS and GTX GPUs have been sold in December...

When is the Phenom coming out or due out?

Its here. Its having the same problems the Core2s had when they arrived. BIOS updates to follow.

So on the CPU the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - $529, is the way to go? This is great for GAMES and Graphic design? I also see it is only 1066mhz for FSB.

OMG! That seems expensive. If you need a CPU, right away, look at the Q6600. Or if you can wait patiently, let AMD straighten out the Phenom debacle.

For video it is BFG you are talking about? So I should wait on this also, when is the new look coming out?

The new nVidia GeForce 8800GTS will be here at around Christmas time. Its supposed to have a smaller die (like the 8800GT), more & faster memory and a clock speed bump. It will run cooler and use less watts too. That means the fans will run slower and it will be silent!

If you can wait a bit for all the goodies to appear, I suggest you do so.

nVidia is also coming out with the new nForce chipset series for AMD motherboards too (also Hybrid SLi in early 2008 which uses discrete and integrated graphics together or separately for performance or power savings at the click of a menu). This Christmas/Early 2008 will be very interesting.

The new nVidia GeForce 8800GTS will be here at around Christmas time. Its supposed to have a smaller die (like the 8800GT), more & faster memory and a clock speed bump.

To add: It’s the same GPU. The GT has 16 Stream Processors disabled of the 128, the 8800GTX will have all 128 Stream processors and could be clocked higher on core and RAM, but last specs are still not released.

Ok so I should wait until Mid January 08 for the new items to come out, then buy them? What will the cost be like for these new items? I would think high since they are new. Or should I get what I am after now then as the pices should drop with newer items replacing them.

Thanks