Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Integrated the 8.2.3.1001 drivers into an XP SP3 disc. Selected the ICH9R textmode driver. (Gigabyte EP35 DS3R motherboard with the ICH9R southbridge.)
Where did you select the "ICH9R textmode driver"? When you integrate the Intel textmode driver, you have the choice between different Intel S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers, but not between different drivers. All Intel Controllers of all Intel chipsets are using 1 single driver named IASTOR.SYS.

Which Intel S-ATA Controller did you enable, the ICH9R S-ATA AHCI Controller or the ICH9R S-ATA RAID Controller?

It probably would have been a good decision to enable both of them.

Edit: AHCI works fine. But not RAID. I was thinking I needed to define volumes. But, for my XP install HD, it will be non-raid. BUT, controlled by the RAID controller because I have 2 other HDs that will be RAID 0.
You will only get your RAID detected, when you have set the related S-ATA Controllers to RAID Mode instead of AHCI Mode (if you want to run the non-RAID hdd in AHCI mode, you should connect your RAID hdd's with your JMicron RAID ports).

The further procedure depends on the question, if you have integrated the support of the Intel ICH9R RAID Controllers into your nLited CD (look to my first question above).

If you should be able to boot into XP after having enabled the RAID Mode of the Intel S-ATA ports within your BIOS, normally the Intel ICH9R RAID Controller should be detected. If not, try to run the EXE file of the complete Intel Matrix Storage Manager package you get here.

Edited by Fernando 1

When I checked the intel website the latest driver they have for download is 7.8 so it seems these new drivers are not release quality but beta drivers,...
The Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver package v8.2.3.1001 is not a Beta version. It has been officially released by Intel and digitally signed by Microsoft.
... so if I am right can the OP please have links for the 7.8 and 8.x floppy files so can use the stable version if want to?
If you want to use the older textmode drivers v7.8.0.1012, just look into my guide. Whithin the chapter "1. Preparation" take the drivers of point c) instead of a).

ok thanks, I navigated intels site as you said and it does show that version, their site I find a nightmare. Of course that version is unstable tho on my system with write caching enabled, I dont know about when write caching is off. So be careful. These 8.x versions are the first ones that allow write caching on non raided drives so is a new feature in the matrix storage drivers.

had a look at the known issues file and it included this so I wonder if this was it.

"2554680

File write performance degraded with Gen II drives and Cache On

Vista, Windows XP"

Edited by Chrysalis

ok thanks, I navigated intels site as you said and it does show that version, their site I find a nightmare. Of course that version is unstable tho on my system with write caching enabled, I dont know about when write caching is off. So be careful. These 8.x versions are the first ones that allow write caching on non raided drives so is a new feature in the matrix storage drivers.
Thanks for your reply and your comment regarding the different Intel textmode driver versions.

Here is my statement:

1. If there would exist any perfect driver, none of the chip manufacturers would spend a cent for the development of new ones.

2. I have put links to the newest Intel textmode drivers into my guide, because many users reported about a much better performance after having updated to the v8.x.x.xxxx series. Furthermore only these actual drivers do support Intel ICH10R chipsets.

3. Nevertheless you can use the older v7.x.x.xxx Intel textmode drivers, if you want to. I do present them both within my guide.

CU

Fernando

it might be a false alarm, I noticed only one drive seemed to be playing up, my newest one the samsung f1 hd, a quick google indicates this drive doesnt like command queueing which would explain why I have had problems.

Nice work here buddy thanks for these drivers, I already have quite a few drivers installed for the text-mode part of the install but it cant hurt to have more :D

Thanks again for these

it might be a false alarm, I noticed only one drive seemed to be playing up, my newest one the samsung f1 hd, a quick google indicates this drive doesnt like command queueing which would explain why I have had problems.
Maybe the textmode drivers of the newest Intel Matrix Storage Manager v8.5.0.1032 (Link) will solve your problem.
Nice work here buddy thanks for these drivers, I already have quite a few drivers installed for the text-mode part of the install but it cant hurt to have more :D
If you want the newest WHQL certified Intel textmode drivers for ICH7-10 chipsets v8.5.0.1032 dated 07/20/2008, you should take these ones:

32bit Intel textmode drivers v8.5.0.1032

64bit Intel textmode drivers v8.5.0.1032

Guest random_gigs
Where did you select the "ICH9R textmode driver"? When you integrate the Intel textmode driver, you have the choice between different Intel S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers, but not between different drivers. All Intel Controllers of all Intel chipsets are using 1 single driver named IASTOR.SYS.

Which Intel S-ATA Controller did you enable, the ICH9R S-ATA AHCI Controller or the ICH9R S-ATA RAID Controller?

It probably would have been a good decision to enable both of them.

Yep, I'm blind. Picked the AHCI controller but not the RAID controller. Made a new XP install DVD and it detects them now. Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out how to rebuild my RAID 0 without losing the data on the drives ...

Edited by random_gigs

Yep, I'm blind. Picked the AHCI controller but not the RAID controller. Made a new XP install DVD and it detects them now.
Fine, that you succeeded at least.
Now I just have to figure out how to rebuild my RAID 0 without losing the data on the drives ...
If the MBR is on your RAID array, you have to rebuild it with the RAID BIOS utility.

Once the OS is up, you can do it by running the Intel Matrix Storage Control Panel.

fernando I will put the troublesome drive on jmicron controller for now probably and then go back to the newer drivers.
You can use the new drivers (they are running fine with my ICH9R RAID system), but you should keep in mind, that the Intel Matrix Storage Manager v8.5.0.1032 is part of the Intel Turbo Memory package.

If you want to use the Intel RAID Manager Control Panel from within any running Windows OS, it might be a good idea to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager v8.2.3.1001 and to update just the drivers from within the Device Manager.

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando, on the first page and above you state that the 8.5.0.1032 drivers are WHQL. When I update the drivers from your repackaged file on RapidShare using XP's Device Manager, XP complains that these are not signed (not WHQL). What did I do wrong?

How safe is it to use these drivers?

Last week I got my new PC and installed XP using 8.2.0.1001 following this guide. Worked great (thanks for your guide!), except for the eSATA (external) drive which would never hot plug. Just now I discovered the newer drivers in this thread and tried 8.2.3.1001 WHQL, which allowed me to hot plug the drive exactly once... Then I installed 8.5.0.1032 and now hot plugging seems to work (even more than once)! That would be great, but since I use this external drive to make backups of my system, these drivers should better be stable and safe (and yes, WHQL is no guarantee for that).

What do you think, should I stick to 8.5.0.1032, even if they are not WHQL? (on my system?)

Edited by XIII

8.2.0.1001 is now latest on intel site hmm so what did they do with 8.2.3.1001

Were those 8.2.3.1001 on their site then?

I got a new PC about 1.5 weeks ago and then checked for the newest drivers, which were 8.2.0.1001.

Fernando, on the first page and above you state that the 8.5.0.1032 drivers are WHQL. When I update the drivers from your repackaged file on RapidShare using XP's Device Manager, XP complains that these are not signed (not WHQL). What did I do wrong?
Probably nothing. It seems, that the Intel textmode drivers v8.5.0.1032 are not yet digitally signed for all Intel chipsets.
How safe is it to use these drivers?
The WHQL stamp doesn't have any influence on the function of a driver.
Last week I got my new PC and installed XP using 8.2.0.1001 following this guide. Worked great (thanks for your guide!), except for the eSATA (external) drive which would never hot plug. Just now I discovered the newer drivers in this thread and tried 8.2.3.1001 WHQL, which allowed me to hot plug the drive exactly once... Then I installed 8.5.0.1032 and now hot plugging seems to work (even more than once)! That would be great, but since I use this external drive to make backups of my system, these drivers should better be stable and safe (and yes, WHQL is no guarantee for that).

What do you think, should I stick to 8.5.0.1032, even if they are not WHQL? (on my system?)

I would stick with the newest drivers as long as they are running fine.

We probably can expect the official release of Intels Matrix Storage Manager version 8.5.x.xxxx very soon.

8.2.0.1001 is now latest on intel site hmm so what did they do with 8.2.3.1001
Were those 8.2.3.1001 on their site then?

I got a new PC about 1.5 weeks ago and then checked for the newest drivers, which were 8.2.0.1001.

They haven't yet updated their websites.

If you do a search for "8.2.3.1001" at Intel's downloadcenter, you will get the newer version. Look here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Se...d_nm=8.2.3.1001

Edited by Fernando 1