Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Finally installation with slipstreamed drivers was successful!

(Clean win_CD + SP3 + intel sata drivers for all Intel's chipshets + Jmicron sata/pata drivers) plus (IE7 + WMP11)

Thanks for your report.

This verifies the information, that it is possible to check all available Controllers at the textmode driver popup window while processing with nLite.

In case someone is interested i write down a way of enabling AHCI after installation of XP on Intel ICH9R:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) download intel AHCI drivers version 8.2.0.1001

1) copy iastor.sys to windows\system32\drivers\

2) install modified iaAHCI.inf (*)

3) reboot

4) change in bios from IDE to AHCI

5) and vouala! AHCI ENABLED!

(*) Change line 44 from:

44 : %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106

to:

44 : %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106

44b: %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106

line 54 from:

54 :%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106

to:

54 :%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106

54b :%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106

line 214 from:

214 :PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

to:

214 :PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

214b:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your detailed workaround how to switch the Intel ICH9R SATA Controllers from the IDE to the AHCI mode without the necessity of a reinstall of Windows XP.

This may help other users.

CU

Fernando

thanks very much Mr Fernando 1

i was have a problem in setup xp on compaq presario 6500

your efforts was very great and solved my prb

thanks again man

Welcome at MSFN Forums and thank you for your encouraging feedback!

Greetings

Fernando

Fernando this seems like great information. One question though.

Lets say I've already installed XP. Now I want to sysprep and image this PC for deployment across platforms with dissimilar hardware. If I slipstream these drivers into the installation, and perform the installation... will it keep the files in windows/inf or somewhere on the hard drive so that I can reference the image to search that location for the HDD controllers?

Lets say I've already installed XP. Now I want to sysprep and image this PC for deployment across platforms with dissimilar hardware. If I slipstream these drivers into the installation, and perform the installation... will it keep the files in windows/inf or somewhere on the hard drive so that I can reference the image to search that location for the HDD controllers?
If you had deleted the folder "NLDRV", where nLite usually stores all integrated drivers, you still have the previously installed Intel Controller drivers within your Windows folder.

The textmode driver itself named IASTOR.SYS is within the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder, whereas the associated INF file now is named "OEMxx.INF" (xx means any digit) and stored within the WINDOWS\INF folder.

Excellent, so then I'd only need to refer sysprep to the windows\inf folder. Thanks for the info.

Update, with your provided drivers I am finally able to get a single image working across every hardware platform I've tested so far in the corporation. Thank you sir. It seems so easy now, but man it was tough before... but I guess that's always the case when you're delving into things you have absolutely zero experience/knowledge of. =)

Hello

Thanks for all your time put in this but i am getting a issue. The problem is with Intel ICH9R using raid, i have tried the modified drivers but once every things loaded up and it's time to select a partition i only see 2.

There's 6 HDDs setup in Raid 1 ( 2 HDDs ) and in Raid 5 ( 4HDDs ). The raid 1 is is split up into 3 partitions so i can install to OS's to the Raid 1 but it seems like it's not possible due to it only seeing one partition even though there's 2 or more partitions on the raid 1.

Did i miss some thing out or is this is how it is. and i do not really want to use 250GB for one OS when only 40GB will be used.

Thanks.

Thanks for all your time put in this but i am getting a issue. The problem is with Intel ICH9R using raid, i have tried the modified drivers but once every things loaded up and it's time to select a partition i only see 2.

There's 6 HDDs setup in Raid 1 ( 2 HDDs ) and in Raid 5 ( 4HDDs ). The raid 1 is is split up into 3 partitions so i can install to OS's to the Raid 1 but it seems like it's not possible due to it only seeing one partition even though there's 2 or more partitions on the raid 1.

Did i miss some thing out or is this is how it is. and i do not really want to use 250GB for one OS when only 40GB will be used.

1. Why did you integreate the modified driver version? ICH9R S-ATA RAID Controllers are fully supported by the original WHQL signed driver version.

2. Where is your Boot partition with the MBR (usually drive C:)? Is it inside or outside the RAID arrays?

3. Why do you think, that you have to install the OS onto tha complete 250 GB sized hdd? After having chosen a hdd for the OS installation, you are able to create a partition with a size you want (40 GB for example).

Edited by Fernando 1

1. Why did you integreate the modified driver version? ICH9R S-ATA RAID Controllers are fully supported by the original WHQL signed driver version.

2. Where is your Boot partition with the MBR (usually drive C:)? Is it inside or outside the RAID arrays?

3. Why do you think, that you have to install the OS onto tha complete 250 GB sized hdd? After having chosen a hdd for the OS installation, you are able to create a partition with a size you want (40 GB for example).

Well when i integrated the IMSM drivers to the nLite install no Raid setups showed up. All though these were of the motherboards CD as the ones downloaded of the INTEL site had there files in a .cab file which seems i cannot open.

Well i prebuilt the raid 1 under a all ready installed OS. And partitioned it as XP1, XP2 and spare. I do not know what you mean by inside\outside the raid arrays.

Well the Raid 1 was made and partitioned but when i booted up of the DVD i made it just showed me the two Raid setup as there full size.

Well when i integrated the IMSM drivers to the nLite install no Raid setups showed up.
What do you mean with "IMSM drivers"? I have never heard about this sort of drivers.
All though these were of the motherboards CD as the ones downloaded of the INTEL site had there files in a .cab file which seems i cannot open.
That is why I have prepared the actual Intel textmode drivers for an easy integration and uploaded them separately. You will find all links within the first post of this thread.
Well i prebuilt the raid 1 under a all ready installed OS. And partitioned it as XP1, XP2 and spare.
The normal order is the following:

1. Creation of the RAID

2. Installation of the Operating System(s).

Which OS were you running while creating the RAID and what happened after the reboot?

How did you get the needed Intel RAID drivers installed onto your running OS?

I do not know what you mean by inside\outside the raid arrays.
Sorry for my question. Since you have 6 hdd's, 2 of them as RAID1 and the rest as RAID5 array, you obviously don't have any hdd outside the RAID.

Correct question: Where is your active partition containing the Master Boot Record, within the RAID1 or within the RAID5 array?

Well the Raid 1 was made and partitioned but when i booted up of the DVD i made it just showed me the two Raid setup as there full size.
Please explain, what exactly you have done.

What do you mean with "RAID setup"? When you have successfully created a RAID, it is a "healthy" RAID array, but no RAID setup.

What do you mean with "IMSM drivers"? I have never heard about this sort of drivers.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

That is why I have prepared the actual Intel textmode drivers for an easy integration and uploaded them separately. You will find all links within the first post of this thread.

I am trying them but there not working as needed.

The normal order is the following:

1. Creation of the RAID

2. Installation of the Operating System(s).

Which OS were you running while creating the RAID and what happened after the reboot?

How did you get the needed Intel RAID drivers installed onto your running OS?

Both Raid 1 and Raid 5 arrays were made on bootup by using CTRL+I on boot up. Raid 1 is made on the 1st 2 HDD's.

I use XP X64.

There is a 7th HDD which contains my old install. Which i am using now, once the raid setups have been made i partitioned the Raid 1 to my requirements and made the 1st partition active..

Then shutdown the system to remove the 7th drive, change bootup options so DVD player boots 1st and Raid 1 second.

Sorry for my question. Since you have 6 hdd's, 2 of them as RAID1 and the rest as RAID5 array, you obviously don't have any hdd outside the RAID.

Correct question: Where is your active partition containing the Master Boot Record, within the RAID1 or within the RAID5 array?

my 7th HDD would be the one out of Array so yes i do till i shutdown to remove the 7th HDD.

What do you mean with "RAID setup"? When you have successfully created a RAID, it is a "healthy" RAID array, but no RAID setup.

I used to run a single drive and Raid 5 with the single drive being the one that the system boots the OS. Now i don't want to use the single drive no more and put it in another system and just use my 6 SATA drives.

I've been able to install the OS to the Raid 1 but had to format it and use the total size of the disk to install a fresh OS to it.

Maybe when i partitioned the Raid 1 in windows messed it up so the WINXP CD could not understand the drive correctly ?.

And many thanks for your help and patience.

'AsRock_SD'

try this:

1)prepare the partition (you said 40gb) for the os, as primary active (example: with paragon partition manager)

if this 1st step dont work for you (try to setup xp from cd again) then:

2)add mbr of xp (all from xp to 2003 x64/86 same mbr) to this 40gb. ( bootsect or similar program)

3)take an image (example: ghost11 and many others) of os on your 7th disk.

4)put the image on the partition of 40gb. (**all files on 40gb will be deleted)

5)remove 7th disk, and start computer with this raid disk which includes 40gb.

as i see Fernando 1's drivers works nicely with you, i guess you need help on setuping os rahter then integration of intel sata and raid drivers as you already integrated.

good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by Lancelot_Real

'AsRock_SD'

try this:

1)prepare the partition (you said 40gb) for the os, as primary active (example: with paragon partition manager)

if this 1st step dont work for you (try to setup xp from cd again) then:

2)add mbr of xp (all from xp to 2003 x64/86 same mbr) to this 40gb. ( bootsect or similar program)

3)take an image (example: ghost11 and many others) of os on your 7th disk.

4)put the image on the partition of 40gb. (**all files on 40gb will be deleted)

5)remove 7th disk, and start computer with this raid disk which includes 40gb.

as i see Fernando 1's drivers works nicely with you, i guess you need help on setuping os rahter then integration of intel sata and raid drivers as you already integrated.

good luck :rolleyes:

partition manager is out of the question as it costs $$.

Did not have hassles like this with my older NV chipset that will see the partitions lol...

I have found a temp solution for now and thats by when making the Raid 1 on start up only use 1/2 the space this allows me to make 2 Raid 1 configs. Not my favorite way of doing it but it's all i have really for now. Hopefully some will post a solution to this maybe i did some thing wrong ?..

Thank you both for your time :).

Intel Matrix Storage Manager.
Ahhhhhh, thanks.
I am trying them but there not working as needed.
What happened exactly?

I used to run a single drive and Raid 5 with the single drive being the one that the system boots the OS. Now i don't want to use the single drive no more and put it in another system and just use my 6 SATA drives.

I've been able to install the OS to the Raid 1 but had to format it and use the total size of the disk to install a fresh OS to it.

Maybe when i partitioned the Raid 1 in windows messed it up so the WINXP CD could not understand the drive correctly ?.

All your problems may be induced by the change of your boot partition from your single hdd to the RAID.

Before you created the RAID1, you should have done a low level format of both hdd's.