Replacing Notepad problem

I use the below batch file to replace Notepad with Notepad2. It works fine after install but not unattended.

I do it with the <FirstLogonCommands> section in the oobeSystem pass. I have other synchronous commands that work fine but not this one.

The problem is with takeown or icacls.

At this stage of install the <FirstLogonCommands> are launched with elevated privileges. Either of those commands with elevated privileges must be the problem.

The notepad.original.exe files do get created but that's it.

I can't do any vmware testing because my s754 amd64 does not allow a guest 64bit OS, only a host. It's an early revision that has that limitation.

Testing requires burning a DVD and reinstalling.

Any ideas?

@echo off

cd /d %~dp0

takeown /f %Systemroot%\notepad.exe
takeown /f %Systemroot%\System32\notepad.exe
icacls %Systemroot%\notepad.exe /grant "%username%":f
icacls %Systemroot%\System32\notepad.exe /grant "%username%":f
::IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64 (bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions "DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS")

copy %Systemroot%\notepad.exe %Systemroot%\notepad.original.exe
copy %Systemroot%\System32\notepad.exe %Systemroot%\System32\notepad.original.exe

copy notepad2.exe %Systemroot%\notepad.exe /y
copy notepad2.exe %systemroot%\System32\notepad.exe /y

exit

i think its easier to replace the original notepad.ex_ located in i386 folder with notepad2 file. of course you'd have to rename and cab the notepad2 file.

EDIT: sorry, i see your talkinkg about vista, so this method doesnt work.

Edited by zeko

Yep, easiest solution is to mount your wim, inside the windows dir & system 32 folder simply replace your vers of notepad & rename it to notepad.exe not cabbed with the current vista notepad.exe. I have done this countless times no problems.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

Yep, easiest solution is to mount your wim, inside the windows dir & system 32 folder simply replace your vers of notepad & rename it to notepad.exe not cabbed with the current vista notepad.exe. I have done this countless times no problems.

Yes, thats the way to do it, i replace more files there witout any problems.

@ Zeko

You could have a look around for just the waik tools & if running xp sp2 & put all the tools in the windows/system32 dir, just right click & install the inf in the package. Theres plenty of info how to mount wims on this board.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

Thanks for the advice. It was actually easier then I thought it would be. Worked like a charm.

zeko: please don't hijack this thread. Start your own if you have questions.