New Windows Script version

Tomalak

• 3 weeks later...

They also withdrew WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe (including the localized builds) from the Download Center.<snip>
It's available with Microsoft now!

WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe (v5.6.0.8831 - 8/28/2007)

i extracted and compared the contents of both the old and the new 917344 - no difference - same files

• 6 months later...
They also withdrew WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe (including the localized builds) from the Download Center.<snip>
It's available with Microsoft now!

WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe (v5.6.0.8831 - 8/28/2007)

However, this download package now requires validating your edition of Windows to obtain the download. You have to be using a genuine Windows product to get the actual Script56 download for Win2000 & XP.

As far as I can remember, that's always been the case for the full package. The standalone KB917344 update is not (because it's a security update).

(Note aside: I used to have a link to standalone update on my XPSP2 hotfix list until a few weeks ago when I replaced it with KB942840. This newer update is not intended as a security update (it's only built on top of KB917344) and so this one does require validation. I made the switch on my list anyway because Windows Update wants you to have it.)

But the main problem remains: why haven't MS fixed the problem with Windows Script 5.7 after confirming it? It's just impossible to slipstream it.

• 10 months later...
Oy... 10 of the 11 WSH 5.7 files are just borked. Tested with Win2K+IE6 and WinXP (without IE7). Additionally, they aren't copied into DLLCACHE as a consequence.

The next test release will work around this issue but I do hope MS will fix this themselves.

BTW... The three package versions (2K/XP/2K3) are identical as far as HFSLIP is concerned.

Looks like the WSH 5.7 packages Microsoft released back in late August 2007 now have expired & broken digital signatures. That would explain why MS made the KB955360 hotfixes to resolve the problems. Took MS a while to recognize and fix the problems with their original WSH 5.7 packages by making hotfixes for them in late August 2008.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 year later...
Oy... 10 of the 11 WSH 5.7 files are just borked. Tested with Win2K+IE6 and WinXP (without IE7). Additionally, they aren't copied into DLLCACHE as a consequence.

The next test release will work around this issue but I do hope MS will fix this themselves.

BTW... The three package versions (2K/XP/2K3) are identical as far as HFSLIP is concerned.

Looks like the WSH 5.7 packages Microsoft released back in late August 2007 now have expired & broken digital signatures. That would explain why MS made the KB955360 hotfixes to resolve the problems. Took MS a while to recognize and fix the problems with their original WSH 5.7 packages by making hotfixes for them in late August 2008.

Except it seems that a similar 955360 hotfix to correct Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 wasn't released for that OS. JScript and VBScript 5.7 updates for Win2k have been released since, but as far as I can see, nothing for the other Script components in the Script 5.7 package from August 2007. Has anyone used Scripten.exe 5.7 in HFSLIP for Windows 2000 successfully?