Which one would you choose?

vegettoxp

Hey Guys, I just did a quick price check on the two brands of power supplys and I was suprised to see that I can get more watts for my money with OCZ. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on which one would you choose if you were in my spot.

OCZ Model that I am looking at is:

OCZ GameXStream 850W- OCZ850GXSSLI or 1010W - OCZ1010GXSSLI

The Enermax Power Supply that I am looking at are:

Enermax Galaxy EGA850EWL or Enermax Infiniti 720W

In my opinion when I did the quick price check, OCZ really got my attention. I am not a Hard-Core Gamer. The Power Supply that I end up picking would have to put up with:

Intel X38 Chipset, Intel Quad-Core Processor (45-nm)

Asus or Intel Motherboard

2 Roms

4 HDs, One of them Raptor X

I have a CM Stacker 830 With all seven 120mm Blue LED Fans

And Plus other stuff that I have or will have in the system.

This was just a quick list of things the power supply should be able to handal. So guys tell me if you were in my spot and you had to pick between OCZ or Enermax Power Supply, Which one would you choose?

THX for all your help! :thumbup

P.S. Fusion :hello:

wowza, it'll look good, but that thing will be really loud. as for the fans, Antec Tri-Cools? keep em' all on medium and you'll notice performance, not too much noise, and it'll keep cool.

I'd suggest Enermax Galaxy, enough power, and the Galaxy line is good...not even loud with the amount of power it pushes.

1Kw is extreme overkill for that system, even with what is has inside.

I have a CM Stacker 830 With all seven 120mm Blue LED Fans

Ouch! 7 (120)Fans. You might as well put the whole PC in a freezer. :P

That's a hard choice.

I suggest to check the cutomer reviews on NEWEGG for both products. It could give you a better opinion.

Ugh - the Galaxy is horribly loud. I was next to that thing at SPCR and... *shudders*

Get yourself the Seasonic M12-700 or Corsair HX620. Both have plenty of power, and are much better quality. Trust me - with the components you're using - you don't want to skimp on a cheap PSU.

I am not a Hard-Core Gamer.
Intel X38 Chipset, Intel Quad-Core Processor (45-nm)

Asus or Intel Motherboard

2 Roms

4 HDs, One of them Raptor X

LOL! The above statement contradicts everything else. Add in an 8800GTS like you mentioned in a post later and it makes no sense at all!

Anyway, I'd start to think more carefully about what you really need the PC for. Workstation? Graphics design? (3D & 2D) Mainstream Gamer Machine/High End General Purpose? Or a hot, screaming, expensive banshee of a PC that will devour everything you throw at it. Mostly games.

Edited by brucevangeorge

Thats a waste imo, you don't need that many watts. You're overlooking Quality and Efficiency. That whole system you described including the 8800 GTS, which you also probably don't need, would only need 300-400 watts at most at load.

also as brucevangeorge points out what are you using the pc for? If you are not a 'hardcore gamer' whatever that means, why do you want a 8800 GTS? That can only be justified for gaming at large resolutions, think 22" monitors and up.

7 120mm fans is just overkill, I bet a lot of the fans are fighting against each other just wasting electricity and making noise, you could probably cut that down to a few fans and it would probably help it cool better or same with less noise.

Well Guys just to clear something up.

My usage on my PC is Web, Photoshop, Multi-Media, Burn Stuff and Play Games here and there. I might do Over-Clocking when I get my processor.

Why I am buying a 8800 GTS, because I just bought the Samsung 226CW Display (22") and I want to have a really good graphic card to go with it. I know its overkill and the only game titles I play are Need For Speed and Madden. But I still wanted a good card that will do what I need it to do and it will also make Vista Happy and Make me Happy. Thats why I plan to get the 8800 GTS Graphic Card.

Regarding the Seven Fans, like I said I have a Stacker 830 and the reason I am using all the fans are because I don't want to have heat problems in the case. Plus all the fans are gona be controlled by Fan Controller that I bought. I rather do this then be sorry later.

P.S. Fusion

well, i used to have a rig with 11 fans. changed the case and heatsinks [the case is similar to a Stacker] and now its got 3 fans [not counting the PSU]. and it was a dual processor computer. i don't think you'll have a heat problem any time soon.

unless you need the 8800, why not go a little lower to save money? i mean its not a race to have the most expensive rig out there...i read an article about a guy in austrailia who put 12,000 into a computer, and if you let me loose on newegg i could make a better rig for less than 12,000.

My usage on my PC is Web, Photoshop, Multi-Media, Burn Stuff and Play Games here and there. I might do Over-Clocking when I get my processor.

You don't need an 8800GTS for that, or a power supply that will rival most ovens.

Also photoshop uses a good processor and plenty of ram more than a good video card. Take that money and spend it on a fast drive to use as a scratch disk. To avoid slowdowns.

Why I am buying a 8800 GTS, because I just bought the Samsung 226CW Display (22") and I want to have a really good graphic card to go with it. I know its overkill and the only game titles I play are Need For Speed and Madden. But I still wanted a good card that will do what I need it to do and it will also make Vista Happy and Make me Happy.

nVidia integrated graphics make Vista happy. You don't need to go overkill for that. Or Madden and Need for Speed. They will both run ok with integrated graphics, and even better with something like a 8600GT.

Regarding the Seven Fans, like I said I have a Stacker 830 and the reason I am using all the fans are because I don't want to have heat problems in the case.

A good fan arrangement will help much better than lots of fans. You need to tweak around with the airflow in the case. You need 3 fans at most. Or 4 very silent ones since they don't move that much air. You just have to know how to arrange them and how to seal the case to make sure the air goes exactly where you need it and not leak through crevices or unsealed openings. Some sticky electrical tape and card paper will be good for 'sealing' parts of the case.

Hey Guys, thx for all the inputs. I have learned a lot from you guys. Regarding the 8800GTS, I am only getting that card because I plan to keep it for 3 Plus years. So if you guys think that I should go the route of 8600, Let me know. The BIGGEST reason that I am looking at the 8800GTS is the on-board Memory. 8600GT has 256 and 8800GTS has 320 or 640. I have heard that there is NO Big difference between the 320 and 640. So would you guys recommend me that I go with 8800GTS 320MB or you guys still think I should go with 8600GT. Just to give you guys more info, I also want my garphic card to be HD Ready. Later when HD or Blue-Ray drives become avaiable for Lower prices I might get one. So if you guys can give me more input on this topic it would help me out even more. I will checkout the 8600GT. Just for FIY what is the BIGGEST Difference between 8600GT and 8800GTS?

Regarding the Seven Fans I can cut down on them. If someone in here owns a Stacker, can you guys share you Stacker Setup with me Please!

Once again thx for all the input guys!

P.S. Fusion