*confusion* which graphics card should I buy?

clidx

topic

i have a dual-core 3.3 ghz pentium 4, 1gb ram, and an intel 82915g onboard graphics card, gigabyte 8i915gv motherboard, with 1 pci slot, 1 pci-e x16 (that i would like to use for the graphics card). i can't afford to pay more than £100 or it's equal in USD.

if ANYONE can post ANY recommendations i would be really grateful, my graphics card has been bugging me for months...

thanks!

Get a 7600GT or a 7900GT if you want more power.

Also, the ATi x1950 or whatever its called is another good option (in terms of $$$$). But they get alot hotter than the GeForces.

Don't bother with the whole DX10 shebang. No games have a good implementation of it, and any that have DX10 look almost the same as their DX9 counterpart but significantly slower.

If you want DX10, I suggest you wait awhile and then build a new rig with a new generation of cards. GeForce9 series.

Edited by brucevangeorge

The GeForce 8600 GT is a great video card. It's the fastest card you can buy without blowing an entire paycheck for it at less then $200. The only thing faster in the nVidia lineup is 7800/7900 or 8800 which are all in the $400 plus range.

The ATi x1950GT cards seems to have one of the best price/performance ratio you can find now.

Check also the VGA Charts 2007 on Tom´s Hardware.

Just compare the prices in your local stores and the power you will get from the cards with that chart.

Why a local store? To return the card when it does not work on your mobo with PCI-E 4x... Most do work by the way ;).

I'm currently using a BFG nVidia GeForce7600 GS OC 512MB AGP, but I hear the PCI E counterpart is just as incredibly powerful.

PRICE: $140 CA

Yeah :( , I'm still stuck on AGP, never did do the MB upgrade I wanted, but will SOON! :)

Edited by XL-DJK95355

OK i'll go with either the x1950gt (if i can find pro for cheaper then i'll get that :P) or the geforce 8600

but according to some sites (it's really confusing with me, i'm a newb at it) they are crossfire/sli respectively and like i said i only have 1 pci-e x16 slot, 1 pci slot and i forgot to mention, one pci-e x1 slot. (i can get another spare pci slot if necessary by removing a pci ethernet adapter and using the integrated one)

EDIT ok i might get this http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-8600-256MB-2xD...3199&sr=8-1 it doesn't look like it's sli but i'm only saying that cos it looks like it only has 1 pci-e x16 card not 2, i don't have a clue what a sli card really looks like

would anyone recommend this (maybe jcarle or Messerschmitt)?

thanks to everyone who replied

Edited by clidx

The card can be used in SLI mode, like 2 or 3 cards connected together. But sure it works stand-alone ;).

Amazon isn´t the best place to buy computer stuff, so why not going to a local store?

I stopped recommending all ATI products a long time ago. They just don't hold up to nVidia at the dollar performance price ratio. It's no mistake that a lot of games have a splash screen at the beginning that says Designed for nVidia or Best on nVidia or things of the like. When's the last time you started a game that had ATI advertisement?

Did you know that game makers use both GPU brands? And even for CPU brands?

Some games check your hardware so they know what splash screen they need to play.

I don´t agree completely with you when you say that nVidia has a better performance price ratio; Some models from ATi do better for there price then nVidia and visa-versa. Don´t get me wrong, I´m more a fan of nVidia my self too, but there are some models of ATi that tickle me more ;).

clidx,

The linked card will outperform the nVidia 8600GT, that´s the ATi x1950Pro. And you make me laugh when I hear that an ATi Radeon 9500 (AGP by the way) is still 85 bucks at your local store :D.

Edited by puntoMX

thanks puntomx, i'll get the x1950 pro, but first i'll look around if it's any cheaper

and that's pc world, overpricing EVERYTHING... it was only about a month ago that i saw that price as well.

EDIT does it matter which brand it is, e.g. the ebay link is a sapphire radeon card but i found another, cheaper card using the x1950 chipset that's made by powercolour (or powercolor :D)

EDIT2 powercolor radeon x1950 pro extreme seems to have v. good reviews, i might get that? recommendations? thanks ( http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=25335 )

EDIT3 http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=22349

Edited by clidx

I stopped recommending all ATI products a long time ago. They just don't hold up to nVidia at the dollar performance price ratio. It's no mistake that a lot of games have a splash screen at the beginning that says Designed for nVidia or Best on nVidia or things of the like. When's the last time you started a game that had ATI advertisement?

What about the new 2600XT GDDR3 version? Its pretty **** good for the low price point.

Well, if you compare the 2600XT (DDR4) and the x1950pro, the x1950pro will be cheaper and you will get a higher framerate. The raw power of the x1950pro is about 20-30% higher then the 2600XT (DDR4). Check this link for example. The 2600XT is new so to get the design-cost back they have still higher prices then the older x1950pro.

But the 2600XT has a good part that it uses less power then the x1950pro, but it can´t "win" from the nVidia 8600GT...

clidx,

Looks good the last link you posted, make sure your PSU can handle it.

How much Amperes does it give max. on the 12Volt and 5Volt lines? Or what model/brand is it?

What about the new 2600XT GDDR3 version? Its pretty **** good for the low price point.
I guess it comes down to me also not trusting ATI like I don't trust AMD. I like things to be original and authentic, ATI/AMD just feels 2nd place to me.