Virtual PC 2004 Beta

xper

Our first thoughts on starting this up we found mostly everything to be the same as Connectix's Virtual PC 5.2, with minor changes in the settings/options and the Virtual PC Wizard as well as the Microsoft rebranding. The first thing we noticed was the removal of Linux, BSD, Netware and Solaris from the Guest Operating System Wizard list, which was bound to happen to Virtual PC in the hands of Microsoft.

What's your opinion on that MS removed Linux, BSD, Netware and Solaris from Guest Operating System Wizard list?

It's too be expected that they removed them. My only real question is did they actually remove support for them? Because quite honestly I don't care about the wizard at all. It's pretty much useless and anyone who could handle any of those OS's could easily set it up without a wizard.

SO basicly i'm perfectly happy if they still work. If they actually edited the code so that the other OS's dont' work then there is simply no hope of me ever using MS's version. My main use for Virtual PC is for running linux when i'm too lazy to reboot into a true linux mode. :)

Well Microsoft seems to have succeeded in alienating me from another one of my beloved software products once again. It seems that everything Microsoft gets their hands on, they destroy.

Granted, Microsoft owns it now and can do whatever they want with it, but the only thing they're going to end up accomplishing is losing customers. Because I'll tell you right now, the ONLY thing I used VirtualPC for was to run linux. I'm in a position now where I have to code in VB.NET, C# and ASP.NET and I need to run windows as my main OS, and I owned a license of Connectix VirtualPC to run Linux, because it ran Mandrake so well.

I'll tell you right now, I don't care if you CAN still use linux in the product or not. The underhanded move Microsoft pulled by removing these from the wizard, making it appear they're not supported to try to attempt to force people, again, into a Microsoft OS just forced me to move to VMWare.

Thanks Microsoft!

--NipsMG

What's your opinion on that MS removed Linux, BSD, Netware and Solaris from Guest Operating System Wizard list?

I think it's a shame. The whole point of that SW is to run any other OS within that environment. As others have said this is and has been a very usefull ability both for developers and regular users alike. Hopefully Microsoft wil rethink their position on this.

I'm in the Virtual PC Beta for a 1 1/2 months ago, and Virtual PC looks good.

Anyway, if you want to install Linux, go ahead as it's possible. MS only provide official support for all MS Windows guest and OS/2

Hi

When I try to run vitual pc 5.2 i get this error

"virtual pc is incompatable with PAE mode

this version of virtual pc cannot be run with PAE (physical address extension)

mode enabled on the host.

please disable this feature before runningf virtual pc again

any body knows what this meens please

Nigel

Ps i am using xp pro with sp1

• 2 weeks later...

The RTM does work with Linux - you just select 'other' as the guest OS.

I just installed RH8 and it works fine

Also, a feature noone else seems to have mentioned is that you now have virtual machine configurations as well as virtual hard disk files

So you can now port a whole virtual machine rather than have to port the VHD and risk windows triggering a reactivation