New J2se Today

Here's the documentation on it:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/...ide/silent.html (make sure you don't use a space between /v and "/qn like they've outlined in their examples, because it won't work)

I've been sprucing up my sun java installation just a few minutes ago, this is what I use to install core java files, and integrate into IE:

j2re-1_4_2_01-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1"

Then the following reg changes:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Disable Java Update Check on Startup
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"=-

;Hide Tray Icon when Java is used in browser **Version sensitive!**
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\1.4.2_01]
"HideSystemTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

can i use j2re-1_4_2_02?

There's a 1_4_2_02?

The offline windows download installation points me to the 01 release: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

EDIT: weird, just checked this page and its at 1_4_2_03 now, but the javaupdate check on build 01 says there's no new updates available.

but the swith for 1.4.2_03 in different or not?

and also....i must download 1.4.2_03 JRE or SDK?

I haven't used the sun version of java in a while. I know there was a thing on the MS website about replacing the MS implementation with the sun version due to the agreement. Are there any special considerations if you already have the MS version installed and want to install the sun version?

If you use SP1a, there is no MS JVM involved.  Just don't install it.

I'm not using sp1a, i'm using the straight sp1 and in addition I had already installed the Vm3810 as well. Any special considerations for the latest version of sun java under these circumstances?

an MS Java VM Removal tool went into beta just recently at Betaplace, might be a while before its final.

Aaron,

Are you saying that there are some problems with installing it when the MS Java is installed? Or you just saying that there will be a tool to remove the MS java if someone wants to?

My problem with Sun Java is that it insists on creating files and directories at the root of my user profile directory. I searched all over Sun's site off and on for a week, and could not stop the files from being created, or at least define their location, even though the documentation indicated it was possible. May have just been me, but it bothered me so much I gave up on it: which is a shame, because it would make sense to use the "original", maintained java. Anyone figured out a way around these issues? (I don't remember the exact files created, but I believe the names started with ".jp". I believe there was a cache directory, and a trace log). Do you still have these files in the newer versions?

@Spooky: If my memory serves me correctly - it was over a year ago - I was able to have both installed, and choose which plug-in to use in IE. I would bet that the tool is part of the Sun/MS settlement.

Here is a tip:

If you run the EXE for the java install. Change to your temp directory. In one of the subdirectories will be:

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01.msi

or whatever the current version is. Its much quicker in most cases since you dont have to extract any files.

agressiv