Search People! Search!

Zxian

:realmad:

I'm starting to get somewhat annoyed by people who don't search before asking a question. A simple Google search will probably give you all the answers to your question.

*grumble grumble*

I can understand that there may be certain things that aren't so easy to find an answer for through search engines, and that's fine to ask a question about, but there are other things that people can easily find on their own.

I just hate being Capt. Obvious....

Maybe mods should add an XPlode EULA-style forum rules for new members (anyone who follows the XPlode section knows what I'm talking about). That way people will actually read through and understand the rules a little better. (no more of these "It doesn't work", "Help me...", and "XP Troubles" titles)

I iz l33t usar dat ned biiiiiig helpz! plz!!!!

**peeing myself**

Alanoll has nice search tips Here, but lots seem to skip the whole rules, search thing. Maybe search tips could be it's own sticky along with the welcome. Probably wouldn't help, but couldn't hurt.

Edited by dman

Well I can understand frustration with the same questions asked over and over, but let me point out that some like to get their information from MSFN, not some website Google points out.

Although I am not a very verbose user, I visit MSFN every day, and it has become my number 1 source for information. Before asking questions, I always use the MSFN forum's search capability, but I am not going to go to external (i.e. Google results) resources if I can't find it here first. I like *this* community, and I will ask my questions to *this* community.

Well I can understand frustration with the same questions asked over and over, but let me point out that some like to get their information from MSFN, not some website Google points out.

Although I am not a very verbose user, I visit MSFN every day, and it has become my number 1 source for information.  Before asking questions, I always use the MSFN forum's search capability, but I am not going to go to external (i.e. Google results) resources if I can't find it here first.  I like *this* community, and I will ask my questions to *this* community.

I agree with that, but not everyone is even using the internal search engine at MSFN...

On a side note, when I use the embedded Google search at the top of every page, the search works only the first time. It brings up the results with what I searched for in the box at the top. If I select forums and click search again for the exact same text, it finds nothing.

Of course, your search link at the top right of every page works perfect. But that puts more server usage on MSFN, so I tend to not use it.