Winamp 5.0.4 MSI release

Alanoll

Alrighty, here it is.

Background:

This MSI is meant as a complete replacement for the NSIS installer for Winamp. It is a complete recreation of the installer in the Windows Installer format. This conversion allows for command-line switches to be used.

NOTE: This installer is not SILENT by default. You must still use /qb or /qn like you normally would.

For more information, if you don't understand anything here (besides the INI part) refer to here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=17412

Switches:

I'm lazy, and don't want to type up ALL the switches individually, so I believe I'll use an image.

components.png

The switches are in the colum just to the RIGHT of all the components. They match up with the components they're in line with.

Additional switches are

Xfull = Install ALL components.
XName = Username for Pro registration
XKey = Product Key for Pro registration
XDesktop = Creates the Desktop shortcut; Default is 1
XQuicklaunch = Creates the Quicklaunch shortcut; Default is 0
XStartmenu = Creates the Startmenu shortcuts; Default is 1
XAllShort = Creates all shortcuts; Default is 0
XSkinsetting = Specify the SKIN to use in Winamp.
XINET = Specifies what internet connection you want. 0 = Always; 1 = Modem; 2 = Not Connect. Default is 2

Usage:

To install a component, you MUST tell the installer to install it. By DEFAULT only the main executable (winamp.exe) is installed. All switches are =0. To signal to the installer to install a component, add the switch to the command line with =1.

Examples:

To install Audio and Video

winamp.msi Xaudio=1 Xvideo=1

To install Agent

winamp.msi Xagent=1

If you wanted EVERYTHING then use

winamp.msi Xfull=1

and everything will be installed.

The ONLY ones this does not apply to are XUser,XKey, and XSkinsetting. They are all strings, so use whatever you're supposed. If you used "Joe User" to register Winamp, then use

winamp.msi Xuser="Joe User" XKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

INI Usage:

Now for the fun part. New in this release is the ability to use an INI file rather then type it all out at the command line. This file can be called anything, and can be anywhere, because you specify where it is. If the path is not correct and it can't find the file, then the installer may perhaps error out on you.

INI Syntax:

[SETUP]
XAUDIO=1
XVIDEO=1
XNAME=Joe User
XKEY=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

I only included a set of the of arguments you could use. They are the exact same names and usage as from command line from above.

Save this file ANYWHERE you want, and call it ANYTHING[/] you want. As long as you know where and what it's called.

After you have create your INI file, start the install with

winamp.msi INI="%CDROM%\Unattend\winamp.ini"

the quotes ( " ) are only neccesary when there are spaces, and when used MUST enclose the whole argument. %CDROM% does NOT have to be %CDROM%. If you're files are in %systemdrive%\install\winamp, then use

winamp.msi INI="%systemdrive%\install\winamp\winamp.ini"

I think that's all.....ohyeah.....this screen was added to the installer.....

newscreen.jpg

Download Link: Linkage

Last Update: 8/13 16:48 GMT

@Alanoll good work dude! specially the .ini part :) , but tell me if this would work:

winamp.msi Xfull=1 Xagent=0 Xuser="Me" XKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

ps: the skin screenshots during installation rules!!

hate to tell you, but no that line won't work. I didn't want to get into complex boolean expressions, so it's simple OR's (if that meant anything to ya :))

Xfull=1 overrides Xagent=0 basically.

One reason INI is good.....don't need that really long commandline to accomplish that. If there are enough bugs in this installer, I'll see about adding in more checking for switches or if I get bored tonight (which is what this installer is, I was bored last night)....

hate to tell you, but no that line won't work. I didn't want to get into complex boolean expressions, so it's simple OR's (if that meant anything to ya :))

One reason INI is good.....don't need that really long commandline to accomplish that. If there are enough bugs in this installer, I'll see about adding in more checking for switches or if I get bored tonight (which is what this installer is, I was bored last night)....

ok... i want to check if i understand it all good. the msi u have created is 5.04 and i can remove my own winamp? and i can choose between 2 ways to install winamp. with ini i can more specify my wishes?

i create a winamp.ini with inside:

[setup]
Xintex=1
Xmodernskin=1
Xaudio=1
Xvisual=1
Xextra=1
Xdircont=1

and other things are disabled by default? (i dont know what xintex and xdircont are but if i dont like them i remove them the next time...)

and in my cmd come a line with:

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Winamp\winamp.msi /qb

because you say NOTE: This installer is not SILENT by default. You must still use /qb or /qn like you normally would.

have i understand this all right?

look at the above screen shot. If you tell setup to install something that has child (Audio for example), if you specify xaudio=1 but xwma=0, xwma will still be installed because the parent setting overrides the child.

But yes, ANYTHING you don't set =1 will not get installed, as long as you do not set =1 to the parent with =0 to the child. If you don't want all Audio for example, then just exclude it and select the children you want to install.

you put the slash wrong. it's /qb not \qb :)

The INI and commandline do the same things. INI is just cleaner as there isn't a command that goes over 100 characters in length.

But you must specify the path to the INI file to use with INI="PATHTOINI\winamp.ini" when calling the msi.

look at the above screen shot. If you tell setup to install something that has child (Audio for example), if you specify xaudio=1 but xwma=0, xwma will still be installed because the parent setting overrides the child.

But yes, ANYTHING you don't set =1 will not get installed, as long as you do not set =1 to the parent with =0 to the child. If you don't want all Audio for example, then just exclude it and select the children you want to install.

you put the slash wrong. it's /qb not \qb :rolleyes:

The INI and commandline do the same things. INI is just cleaner as there isn't a command that goes over 100 characters in length.

But you must specify the path to the INI file to use with INI="PATHTOINI\winamp.ini" when calling the msi.

ok i have understanding it all good.... i knew that about the switches who overides the smaller switches. so i go build the msi now in....

after that i go to sleep. tommorow i will be back :)

edit: i dont noticed your last line

so it must be:

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Winamp\winamp.msi /qb /INI="install\applications\winamp.ini"

?

edit: ahhh i am sorry. it is 3.31 in the night here and i am a bit sleepy but i mean ofcourse this

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Winamp\winamp.msi /qb /INI="%systemdrive%\install\applications\winamp\winamp.ini"

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Winamp\winamp.msi /qb /INI="%systemdrive%\install\applications\winamp.ini"  

Full path must be specified in INI file. I couldn't quite get the code write to use an INI file in MSI directory or anything.

hate to tell you, but no that line won't work. I didn't want to get into complex boolean expressions, so it's simple OR's (if that meant anything to ya tongue.gif)

of course :) , that was what i thought but i want to full install winamp without winamp agent and i don't wanted to set all the others switches to 1 :rolleyes:

ok thanks Alanoll [...] downloading and building the .ini file...

Installs quicklaunch in systemroot which has this directory structure C:\C:\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Winamp.lnk

Another error I found. Still its not serious just a minor quirk. Again Alanoll thanks for your efforts.