v4 Windows Update

UltimateSilence

Hello,

The Windows Update site isn't working on my computer. I'm running Windows 98 SE.

Now I know that there was a post that stated Microsoft "dropped" the feature, but couldn't someone create a workaround or verify this for me? I've used the packs here and it appears that I do not have most of the updates (Add/Remove lists 1 Internet Explorer update and 7 Windows 98 updates.)

I've tried WinDizUpdate (and it did list a total of 17 updates) but the add-on keeps crashing in Opera. An installation of Firefox did not rectify the issue; I cannot download the plugin.

Here are my updates.

Internet Explorer Q832894

Windows 98 KB896358

Windows 98 KB908519

Windows 98 Q823559

Windows 98 Q840315

Windows 98 Q888113

Windows 98 Q890175

Any help would be appreciated. I do apologize if I seem like I am complaining; I am not.

Windows Update, when it was working, was horribly incomplete. It has been superseded for many years by the unofficial compilations/packages found in this forum. There are a few to choose from, but the most recent package is Gape's/PROBLEMCHYLD's Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack 3. PROBLEMCHYLD has added numerous files to it, that it is now more updated than anyone can imagine. Read up on the latest developments, and as always, backup before you proceed.

Windows Update, when it was working, was horribly incomplete. It has been superseded for many years by the unofficial compilations/packages found in this forum. There are a few to choose from, but the most recent package is Gape's/PROBLEMCHYLD's Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack 3. PROBLEMCHYLD has added numerous files to it, that it is now more updated than anyone can imagine. Read up on the latest developments, and as always, backup before you proceed.

Thank you for the reply, Foxbat.

I agree partially. Windows Update seemed to be woefully inadequate...

I downloaded PROBLEMCHYLD's patch, and I've had problems booting since then. I have the executable on my computer, but the installed program never appears in the Add/Remove Programs "directory". The number of updates listed there (in Add/Remove Programs) seems small in contrast to what was listed on the forums. I hope I'm not doing something wrong.

Edited by UltimateSilence

The service pack does not add many entries to the Add/Remove Programs list because it would be overkill to have uninstallers for each individual update .There are HUNDREDS!

One of the drawbacks of compilation packages is there is chance that it may not go well with some configurations. It looks like you're one of the unlucky few. I hope you backed up as suggested. Keep that on hand, but don't restore anything yet. You should post on the service pack's thread your computer's specs, what other updates you have, the state of Windows before installation, and what happened so PROBLEMCHYLD can take a look at it.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Foxbat

I downloaded PROBLEMCHYLD's patch, and I've had problems booting since then.

Unless you explain to me the exact error you got after installing, then I CAN'T help you. Just saying it messed up your system doesn't help any of us.

The number of updates listed there (in Add/Remove Programs) seems small in contrast to what was listed on the forums.

That's because most of the updates are (OPTIONAL) except the main updates.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Did you see this?

Yep, WUv4 is history, along with just about everything Win9x-related.

Get your fixes from here/MSFN. See all links within said link and any advice given. Also see Sticky topics (at top of sub-forum).

The service pack does not add many entries to the Add/Remove Programs list because it would be overkill to have uninstallers for each individual update .There are HUNDREDS!

One of the drawbacks of compilation packages is there is chance that it may not go well with some configurations. It looks like you're one of the unlucky few. I hope you backed up as suggested. Keep that on hand, but don't restore anything yet. You should post on the service pack's thread your computer's specs, what other updates you have, the state of Windows before installation, and what happened so PROBLEMCHYLD can take a look at it.

Edited for grammar.

I've never thought of that before. I was just used to seeing them listed on a previous computer (which was formatted).

Thank you.

I downloaded PROBLEMCHYLD's patch, and I've had problems booting since then.

Unless you explain to me the exact error you got after installing, then I CAN'T help you. Just saying it messed up your system doesn't help any of us.

The number of updates listed there (in Add/Remove Programs) seems small in contrast to what was listed on the forums.

That's because most of the updates are (OPTIONAL) except the main updates.

After rebooting, explorer.exe will hang (nothing loads) and I have to reboot again. I did not experience this until after I installed Main Updates, Tweak UI 1.33 and the New Animated Boot and Shutdown Logos in Version 3.

• 4 weeks later...

Microsoft has the windows update for windows 98 to turn off?

Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 repeated connection, can not connect to windows update.

So there is no solution to it? V4 ...

Search for a long time have not been found.