WPI in the future wishlist

I was woundering about the sound options. I see that the sound plays when the installations begin, can an option be added to the audio options page that allows for the sound to start when WPI starts?

Also, I'd like to see an option in the audio options pane for volume control. I think a slider bar or just plain old text box where you could choose a percentage would be great. So far, WPI starts WM with the volume at 100%, I would like to be able to dictate that the volume is 30% (for example) when WPI starts WM.

Thanks!

-Daren

Fully qualified pathnames for images would be nice.

e.g. %ROOT%\Apps\Nero\wpi_image.png

My config.js is created by a batch-file which searches in the application-folder for wpi_image and sets picf[pn] to it.

e.g. picf[pn]=['%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Multimedia\\Codec - DivX Pro 6.6.1\\wpi_image.png'];

For this purpose I created a litte hack in program.js

function WriteBackPrograms(programs)
{
position="program.js";
whatfunc="WriteBackPrograms()";

for (var i=0; i<programs.length; i++)
{
if (IndentText)
textindent =' ';
else
textindent ='';

if (programs[i].picf != null)
{
if (programs[i].textl != "Top")
{
if (programs[i].textl != "Bottom")
{
pwidth=programs[i].picw;
pheight=programs[i].pich;
textloc=programs[i].textl;
desc[i+1]=imagelocationlr + programs[i].picf + imagepart2lr + pwidth + imagepart3lr + pheight + imagepart4lr + textloc + imagepart5lr + textindent + programs[i].desc;
}
}

if (programs[i].textl != "Left")
{
if (programs[i].textl != "Right")
{
if (programs[i].textl != "Bottom")
{
pwidth=programs[i].picw;
desc[i+1]=textindent + programs[i].desc + imagepart1t + imagelocationtb + programs[i].picf + imagepart2tb + pwidth + imagepart3tb + pheight + imagepart4tb;
}
else
{
pwidth=programs[i].picw;
desc[i+1]=imagelocationtb + programs[i].picf + imagepart2tb + pwidth + imagepart3tb + pheight + imagepart4tb + imagepart1b + imageparteb + textindent + programs[i].desc;
}
}
}
//check if an absolute path was set
if (desc[i+1].match(/img src=".*\\.*"/g) != null) {
//remove ./Graphics/
desc[i+1]=desc[i+1].replace(/src=".\/Graphics\//gi, 'src="');
//replace variables (e.g. %ROOT%)
desc[i+1]=ReplacePath(desc[i+1].replace(/src="([^"]*)"/gi, 'src="$1"'));
//get path to image
path_to_image = desc[i+1].replace(/.*src="([^"]*)".*/i, "$1");
//replace every "\" with "/"
path_to_image = path_to_image.replace(/\\/g, '/');
//build new description
desc[i+1]=desc[i+1].replace(/src="[^"]*"/gi, 'src="file://' + path_to_image + '"');
}
}
else
desc[i+1]=textindent + programs[i].desc;

prog[i+1]=programs[i].prog;
ordr[i+1]=programs[i].ordr;
uid[i+1]=programs[i].uid;
dflt[i+1]=programs[i].dflt;
cat[i+1]=programs[i].cat;
forc[i+1]=programs[i].forc;
configs[i+1]=programs[i].configs;
deps[i+1]=programs[i].deps;
excl[i+1]=programs[i].excl;
cond[i+1]=programs[i].cond;
gcond[i+1]=programs[i].gcond;
regb[i+1]=programs[i].regb;
cmd1[i+1]=programs[i].cmd1;
cmd2[i+1]=programs[i].cmd2;
cmd3[i+1]=programs[i].cmd3;
cmd4[i+1]=programs[i].cmd4;
cmd5[i+1]=programs[i].cmd5;
cmd6[i+1]=programs[i].cmd6;
cmd7[i+1]=programs[i].cmd7;
cmd8[i+1]=programs[i].cmd8;
cmd9[i+1]=programs[i].cmd9;
cmd10[i+1]=programs[i].cmd10;
rega[i+1]=programs[i].rega;
picf[i+1]=programs[i].picf;
picw[i+1]=programs[i].picw;
pich[i+1]=programs[i].pich;
textl[i+1]=programs[i].text1;
}

prog[programs.length+1]=null;
}

Are there plans to replace the static count of commands with an dynamic list?

10 commands are much better than six but a lot of my applications need much more commands.

e.g. Microsoft Office Viewer need 21 commands for installing

"Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003 1.0.exe" /Q /C:"msiexec -i xlview.msi /passive /norestart /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=ReallySuppress"
"Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2003 3.0.exe" /Q /C:"msiexec -i ppviewer.msi /passive /norestart /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=ReallySuppress"
"Microsoft Visio Viewer 2003 2.0.exe" /Q /C:"msiexec -i vviewer.msi /passive /norestart /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=ReallySuppress ACCEPTEULA=1"
"Microsoft Word Viewer 2003 2.0.exe" /Q /C:"msiexec -i wordview.msi /passive /norestart /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=ReallySuppress"
office2003-KB914451-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB917346-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB919029-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB923272-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB923275-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB923276-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB924424-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB925525-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB920813-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB929064-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB924883-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB934180-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB934445-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB934041-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB936508-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB936048-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q
office2003-KB940604-FullFile-DEU.exe /Q

And three cleanup-commands (move startmenu-icons)

At this time a have two batch-files.

One application-specific setup.cmd (if necessary) and a global filtercleanup.cmd which extracts the cleanup-commands from a application-specific file.

I think it would be better to store all commands in wpi - but for this reason a dynamic list of commands is necessary.

Al

• 1 month later...

i want e option wich tells how much space all programs u selected take on hd

like wen u ad new soft in wpi u type the space the ap takes on hd

en wpi just ads all those number up en show it wen u select new software

sry for typos im dutch

Hola Kel and Co. First off, thanks a lot for coding this great little proggie. I used it for the first time last week, had all my silent installers ready and everything worked out of the box the first time. That's a cadeu to you guys. Only thing was the bug with the registry files getting doubleqoutes, but that info was off course available to the avid reader in the forum.

My question is:

I've had a long look at Dje's excell injection tool and I was fiddling around with WPI v6.2 myself to try some of it out but I was wondering what your thoughts where to using the functions that Dje introduces? I'm mainly thinking about having the possibility to load external config files as an option and then having those commands injected into wpi, ie like Dje does with say, offering the option to create Firefox profiles and re-installing all/chosen Firefox extensions.

Another good one from Dje's would be say, selecting a backed up My Documents folder, and either copy the contents to the new xp default location (or better yet, change the registry settings of xp to point to the backed up directory) That's basically just a selecet a dir and write the selected dir into the registry operation. But that would be usefull for all kinds of backed up data one has on other partitions from previous windows installs.

Any ways, my sixpence....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kelsenellenelvian, developers, and other users,

Just got back into updating my WPIW and came across something you might want to add it.

I have a category called Uninstall which contains a list of old programs to uninstall before the new ones get installed in a different category. What I need WPIW to do is restart after all the uninstall programs (from the Uninstall category) have been executed. Kind of a restart after category install complete command.

P.S. I know you can do several workarounds to get this to work but I thought it would be alot cleaner to add specific functionality to the progam.

Ummmmmmmmmm their is a %reboot% function built into WPI now.

Kelsenellenelvian

:) Yeah, I know but this function would be a restart after a category is finished installing, before the next category starts.

Lets say you had several programs that you want to install and serval updates to those programs which need to be installed after the program is installed and the computer has been restarted; The idea is that you will be able to do this without having to restart after each individual program install. You would just install all the programs then restart then the updates. Clear as mud!

Like I said earlier there are plenty of work arounds but an actual function for this would be alot cleaner

• 2 weeks later...

ETA, couldn't you just put a gif of a progress bar that says "? minutes remaining", I haven't found a progress bar that actually conforms to "real" time. Maybe have it switch to crazy numbers 40 minutes remaining, 800 minutes remaining, 2 minutes remaining.

I'm new here so I'm not sure exactly how fun you people are.

<==== see post number 1 newwwwwbbbbb

Warning: I'm seldomly serious about anything!

Had to edit again, I just realized I don't even have newbie status yet, I am the lowest of the low. :(

Edited by jackazz76

• 3 weeks later...

i want tho be able tho make prime catogary with sub catogory's for software selection

sry for my english here is example

security

antispyware

apname

apname

apname

apname

antivirus

apname

apname

apname

apname

firewal

apname

apname

apname

apname

I'm in the middle of tracking down which ?*&&?* apps are causing reboots during my WPI run.

Since there are at least two apps doing this (it seems) then the WPI_Log.txt gets wiped (twice), which means I get to fix the most recent offender, rebuild the DVD and start all over again.

This quick hack in installer_log.js appends to WPI_Log.txt if it happens to be there already:

if (ResumeInstall)
{
.... not here ...
}
else
{
// This is the new bit - try an Open before the create ....
try
{
logHandle = fso.OpenTextFile(logFile,8,false);
logHandle.WriteLine(getText(WPIInstallLogFile)+"\r\n");
logHandle.WriteLine("Installation started (possibly after a reboot) at "+LogTimeStamp()); // needs I18N here !!
}
catch (ex)
{
// Original Open code here (try {} catch{}) ....
}
}

• 3 weeks later...