Some problems with USB HDDs/flashdrives

glentium

after HFSLIPed XP SP2 installation, I get message of USB drives installation and that I have to restart my computer.

This happens only with 1.5.0. The last RC I used was 1.5.0 RC7, and it doesn't happen at all on exactly the same source. I tested this a couple of times to make sure, alternately using RC7 and 1.5.0.

post-66411-1181803760_thumb.png

post-66411-1181803772_thumb.png

HFSLIPLOG.zip

can't tell, never downloaded/tried it... btw, just to be specific.. the message, of course, appears after I inserted the USB drive, not exactly after setup.. :)

Edited by glentium

I had the same problem with usb flashdrives. After careful examination, I noticed the flashdrive came preloaded with something called U3. I removed the U3 from the drive and all is ok. In fact, I just loaded a real machine with the latest final and the drive works fine (no reboots required).

Well... I asked about RC8 because, between v1.4.5 and 1.5.0, nothing was changed that affects driver installation. The only change from RC8 to the 1.5.0 final was the addition of the Microsoft Update shortcut in the Start Menu so if RC7 works RC8 should be the one that introduced the bug for you.

Are you using different HFSLIP work folders for RC7 and 1.5.0 final? Did you run RC7 again to verify that it's really working or did you just install from an already existing SOURCESS folder (or ISO)?

Personally, I'm wondering if this is really an HFSLIP issue. When I connect a new SATA drive in my computer and start a non-HFSLIPped Windows, I'm also asked to "reboot for the changes to take effect"...

It's the same working folder. Like I said, I rerun RC7 and 1.5.0, alternately a couple of times, alternately installed on a real machine, and the message only comes up when I installed using 1.5.0.

The only difference between those files is the addition of the Microsoft Update shortcut to the Start Menu from HFSLIPWU.INF. I'm sure that's not the problem but you can test it by removing MUWEB_SITE.CAB from HFCABS (or just swapping the HFSLIPWU.INF file).

Can you verify that both SOURCESS folders contain the same amount of files?