Yes, kinda a hardware question

Messerschmitt

Hey, it is about hardware so I will gona post here.

How exactly, can you cary your desktop computer with you in a plane?

You know, a standard aluminium case so it will be lighter, and LCD display.

Is there a way? I mean it's impossible to pack it in your big bags, unless you want to retrive it from the airport in pieces. And it's to big to cary it in the plane with you.

I really need to know, since I do not have a permanent rezidence. And laptops are just way to expensive, costing 2x more for less than half the performance vs PC.

Anyone is transporting his PC with him and can give me some pointers? I'm not going to do this each week of course, but maybe once or twice a year (possibly with a return trip as well)

Edited by Messerschmitt

There is always Fed-Ex overnight. Just a thought. Less chance of it getting lost, if it is too big for carry-on.

Edited by RJM

I've put mine in my car when I was doing a lot of work on the road which wasn't bad but I don't think it would be prudent to bring a LCD panel on a plane. Even if it was able to fit under the seat there's a good change it's going to get ruined. I wouldn't even think about putting it in the overhead, somebody's going to throw their baggage on top of it. Then you have to think about security risks. They are going to want to open it up and check it out. I would think Fed-Ex overnight will cost you the equivalent of a laptop if you ship it more than one or two times.

Now what I have done in the past is I had a Lan boy box (which is quite small) and I just packed it well in my suitcase. Once I got to my destination I found a place like Walmart or Circuit City that has a 30 day no questions asked return policy and I bought myself a LCD Panel then returned it when I was done. (I know, not really ethical but then again neither are these companies, ever get a warranty on a PC at Circuit City then try to make a claim on it?) Sometimes you might get hit with a 15% restocking fee but that's still better than lugging a large monitor around.

Back before 9/11 when flying wasn't too difficult to bother with I would take my mid-tower on flights. Remembering that airlines (used to) provide counter to counter freight I just tried packing it into original case box and they accepted it with no fee so long as your total luggage doesn't exceed some amount. The box doesn't last long with the rough treatment from the airline crew. After 9/11 if they accept any of this at all they will probably X-ray it until it's a molten lump of metal or try to take it apart so you might want to use thumbscrews left on *loose*. Drives that get X-rayed by luggage detectors require warranty service in a short time so you might try to pull the drives and take those through carry on where the X-ray is much more mild and less likely to get lost.

You could go through all this crap from the Airline or just pay $25 ground shipping. The box will last longer and is much more likely to actually arrive. Losing your computer is a lot worse than losing your underwear.

I should add some details.

I live in Canada, but I don't think the country really affects how the checks are done or what limitations are getting imposed on you.

Prooly the transport within canada when I will be moving will not be so dificult.

As you said Fedex or UPS can do the trick, and no, I don't need it over night. I am ok with 4-5 days shipping.

The worst part is when I have to fly in Europe. Then there aren't that many options.

What I did with my previous computer was to strip down all the parts, put them within my clothes in the carry on luggage and move on, thing that worked since right now I am writing from my computer which I brought with me from Europe.

But this is a lot of fus, and with a possibility that they might get damaged. Also when I did that I couldn't take my case nor my powersource, nor my display (well I didn't had LCD's back then).

What I was looking at was to ship my computer as a hole + my LCD.

if you are flying to all of these places then im sure that you can afford a cheap 500$ laptop... that would obviosuly make things 1000x easier.

you can even go on ebay and get one for 200-300$.

I moved 6 computers with me from Holland to Mexico. I needed to buy aluminum computercases else 2 computers, the wooden box and some other stuff were above the 32kg that was the max for transportacion with extra cost.

Are you handy? If so then build your own box to transport that computer, use foam on the inside and make sure there is no play between computerparts and the box. on the outside you can put metal corners and finish them like car-subwoofer housings. Don´t forget to bold on some wheels and handles, some airports can give you along walk :P.

USE STOCK COOLERS! Well, no heavy weaght ones, those ones will snap of or break your motherboard in part. If posible use coolers taht are screwed on the mobo.