WinXP SP2 & IE7 - Desktop icon

CharlyBrown

It isn't just dotnet2.exe or the roots update that fails with a network install, but anything in HFSLIP.CMD that refers to files in the Windows source. The path to the I386 folder is determined (among other things) by checking for a drive letter from C to Z, which won't do the trick for a network install.

Executables used to install fine in the past because they were installed from SVCPACK.INF. But this was changed because people wanted the ability to install .NET before any MSI files that require .NET. MSI files must be installed from a batch file so the only (easy) way to accomplish this was to install the executables from the batch file as well.

Replace HFSLIP.CMD in SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK with the one that's in the attached ZIP file. Then start the network install.

This HFSLIP.CMD file doesn't hide. It gives some output while the path to the I386 folder is determined in the old way, and, if necessary, in a new way. Please let me know what you see.

The plan was to get this done for 1.5.0 but you're the first "network installer" to give me an HFSLIP.CMD file to work on.

HFSLIPCMD.zip

This HFSLIP.CMD file doesn't hide. It gives some output while the path to the I386 folder is determined in the old way, and, if necessary, in a new way. Please let me know what you see.

Output:

HFSLIP variable could not be defined
Testing alternate method
Press any key to quit
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste...

No additional error messages.

The plan was to get this done for 1.5.0 but you're the first "network installer" to give me an HFSLIP.CMD file to work on.

Now you have someone that does it. ;)

It's already running pretty good compared to other slipstreaming projects. Great job! I also build a slipstreamed Windows for my home use. :)

----------------------

EDIT:

As expected by the errormessage from above: Dotnet2 is not installed.

The IE7 customization has failed. The startpage is still the msn site.

Edited by CharlyBrown

As expected by the errormessage from above: Dotnet2 is not installed.

The IE7 customization has failed. The startpage is still the msn site.

That was to be expected. The batch I gave you quits if the HFSLIP variable couldn't be defined.

This is a bummer. I read on a page on the MS server that the PUSHD command was supposed to temporarily map a network folder to a drive letter. Apparantly not (or I don't get it).

EDIT--

Super Magician has something. I'll give an updated batch below.

Edited by Tomcat76

This is a bummer. I read on a page on the MS server that the PUSHD command was supposed to temporarily map a network folder to a drive letter. Apparantly not (or I don't get it).

Have you tried using SUBST? Also, in order to have PUSHD temporarily map a network directory to a drive letter, you need to enable command extensions, which you didn't do. :D

Edited by Super-Magician

You should have just asked me for one :hello: . I remember giving you guys a lot of grief way back when (years is it now?) with network installs (still have yet to do a CD based install using HFSLIP) but since CD based support only, I worked around my issues by setting "Multiboot cd path" to "source\" and having I386 and other directories copied local before running XP setup (in my "unattended install" installation script):

COPY 'Z:\IBM\' "C:\SOURCE\" /c /h /s
$SetupFiles = 'C:\SOURCE\i386'
Shell '%COMSPEC% /e:1024 /c ' + $SetupFiles + '\winnt32.exe /unattend:' + $AnswerFile + ' /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /makelocalsource:all'

then my hslip.cmd starts off like:

@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CMDOW.EXE CMDOW @ /HID
Title HFSLIP
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\source\I386\SVCPACK SET HFSLIP=%%i:\source\I386

It does add time to the install process making the local copy, but it works GREAT. Local I386 in case it's ever needed, no need to search for a CD.

Also note, I boot the targeted workstation from a boot CD into a winpe environment (instead of DOS based network install[MUCH better]) where I select what type of machine (manufacturer) I'm building, input of computer name, laptop/desktop and Domain machine will be a member of. Click on OK and there goes unattened install of XP/Tablet PC/Win2k3.....

I can't believe this... I had it in my test file... :D

@CharlyBrown: try the attached file. It will pause to display whether the variable could be defined or not, but will continue after that even if the variable couldn't be defined.

Thanks... I'll try it tomorrow.

Little bit off topic: Right now my system @home is making some trouble. During the install (HFSLIP from a CD) it has some problems with "ASMS". If I can't find the reason for this strange error message (didn't write it down... sorry) I'll open a new thread for it.

-------------------------------------------

Edit3: *grumble²* ... The IE-Problem IS solved... Forget my first two edits... ;)

-------------------------------------------

Edit 4:

That's the message.

BTW: There is no subst in the CMD.

Edited by CharlyBrown

OK, but did either .NET 2.0 *or* the roots update install?
BTW: There is no subst in the CMD.
Is it needed? The PUSHD command is supposed to assign a drive letter to a network share; I'm then using DIR /B to determine the path and store it in the %HFSLIP% variable. I wish I could test this better myself but I haven't been able to find out yet how I can browse the network through a command prompt like with My Network Places.

Hmmmm... Sorry but I did not check if the roots or .net installed. *doh*

You can show mapped drives with "net use". I know that it's not very nice but once I handled such output by writing it into a .txt-file and then filtering it with "sed".

OK. Please stop testing for now. I rewrote all sections that handle HFSLIP.CMD and SVCPACK.INF, and am now testing if everything still works as intended on a regular CD-based install. I'll post a new test release later.

For network-based installs...

* silent executables will work for sure

* msi files, the roots update, AutoIT scripts, reg files and inf files is still a question mark (that's for you to tell me :))

* installation of Recovery Console won't work

No error messages but dotnet2 is not integrated.

The file dotnet2.exe is located in: HFSLIP\HFSVCPACK.

Is this still correct or should it be placed in HFSLIP\HF?

Less important: The branding.cab does not work. It seems to be ignored.

EDIT: The branding.cab inside the IE7 installer seems to be damaged! I tried to extract it with 7zip but got an error message. The Branding.cab that I added into the HFCABS folder is OK. Can you check that?

EDIT2: The file is just empty. That's why I get an error message when I select "extract files".

Edited by CharlyBrown

No error messages but dotnet2 is not integrated.
It is not in SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK?
EDIT: The branding.cab inside the IE7 installer seems to be damaged! I tried to extract it with 7zip but got an error message. The Branding.cab that I added into the HFCABS folder is OK. Can you check that?

EDIT2: The file is just empty. That's why I get an error message when I select "extract files".

HFSLIP doesn't copy BRANDING.CAB but its content. If it's not too big, can you attach it here?

It does not seem to copy any content OR it fails.

Attached branding.cab. That's the one that has failed every time.

Today I created a new one that I don't have right now and that I did not test yet. The new one is on the test-system in our company and it is a little bit different. I tried to keep it simple.

IEAK creates a setup.exe to force the branding on an already existing installation. I tried it on a test system and it worked pretty good that way.

----------------

dotnet2.exe: I'll tell someone to check it or we would have to wait until Friday..

BRANDING.CAB

You are talking about the "IE7 installer" so I guess you didn't slipstream it this time. INSTALL.INS from BRANDING.CAB should be inside IE7_INST.EXE in that case. Can you verify that it is?

BTW... Was this file created with IEAK7? I'm having a hard time believing that because of this:

Wizard_Version=6.0.5730.1001

dotnet2.exe

If placed in HFSVCPACK, it should've been copied into SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK just like before. The only difference is that the current test release initiates the install from SVCPACK.INF (just like in the old days) instead of from HFSLIP.CMD.

You know... I'm beginning to think that there are files that fail to copy on your computer. The first ASMS.CAB file you gave demonstrates a problem that's really puzzling me. But I can only say that for sure once you follow up on my last post in the other thread.