WinXP SP2 & IE7 - Desktop icon

CharlyBrown

Hello!

After I integrated all Updates, integrated WMP11 and IE7 (at T-13) I get a IE6 icon on the desktop that reproduces itself when clicked but does not start the IE.

When I open the startmenu I can find the correct IE7 icon that starts the IE7 without problems. Even additional registry tweaks (Phishing filter, etc) work pretty good with the 1.5.0R3 release.

I also tried to remove the desktop icon and reenabled it but then the same IE6-style icon apears and it does not start IE7. If you doubleclick it a new icon is created on the desktop "copy of Internetexplorer" (translated from German) - just as if you insert an already existing file.

I tested with v1.4.4 v1.4.5 and the 1.5.0R3. The first two cause the phishing-tweaks to fail, the last just has this strange desktop-IE7-icon problem.

Any ideas how to solve it? Has anyone seen this before?

It is not acceptable to just delete the icon from the desktop. I need a proper solution - it's not for my home-use...

where's you HFSLIP.LOG?

anyways, please check your HFs and make sure you didn't include HFs for IE6. I made the mistake of not deleting those IE6 HFs that where in HF folder when IE7 slipstreaming was first introduced to HFSLIP... :)

As glentium noted, can you post your HFSLIP.LOG file?

I didn't notice any (unknown) problems slipstreaming IE7 into a German XPSP2 source. The IE7 icons in Quick Launch and on the Desktop work as intended. I'll try the SVCPACK method now...

Attachment: HFSLIP.LOG (not the actual run but one of the non-functional ones).

I removed KB928090 that has been replaced by KB931768 but it makes no difference.

I also tried to integrate the IE7 ONLY (just with the IE7-named files in the HF folder an no other patches) but the effect stays the same.

-----------

Edit: I have that line in the ini (IE7SVCPACK=1 in HFANSWER.INI)...

IE7 works but the desktop-Icon is IE6-style and does not work. The Quick-Start Icon is IE7-Style and works. :-/

HFSLIP.zip

Edited by CharlyBrown

HFSLIP.LOG seems fine for the most part. You should also remove WindowsXP-KB896344-v2-x86-ENU.exe (for English and Japanese versions only) and WindowsMedia9-KB917734-x86-DEU.exe (for WMP9, not 11) but that shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.

Can you ZIP HFANSWER.INI and attach it to your next post?

Attached HFANSWER.INI as ZIP.

I'll try to find the German version of KB896344-v2.

----------

EDIT: The German Microsoft website links to the same patch that is only available as englisch or japanese version. It does not seem to be critical but I am not sure if I can drop it. Our WSUS may automatically detect that this patch is missing...

----------

For testing purposes I created two different compilations: WinXP-SP2 without anything added. So I just run HFSLIP to see what will happen with the desktop IE-icon: It works, IE6 of course.

Then I tried to implement everything except IE7 (WMP11 and all patches): It works fine but of course without IE7.

May it be a problem with the german IE7 installation or am I doing anything wrong?

Except this little issue I like your tool very much. It seems to be much better than alternatives (don't want to start a flamewar) because it does not limit the functionality of Windows.

---------------------

EDIT2:

I attached the LOG of the latest run with RC8 (File: HFSLIP_RC8-IE7_WMP11.zip). The Computer is installing right now and I'll report back if it worked. The Changelog for RC8 mentiones something about localized versions and desktop icons...

HFANSWER.zip

HFSLIP_RC8_IE7_WMP11.zip

Edited by CharlyBrown

>> Our WSUS may automatically detect that this patch is missing...

KB896344 is only available for English and Japanese versions of Windows XP. It doesn't apply to other versions.

>> May it be a problem with the german IE7 installation or am I doing anything wrong?

Well... You've seen my screenshot of WinXP SP2 German with IE7 integrated (SVCPACK method). The IE7 desktop icon works and I even removed it and placed it back. So right now I doubt it's a general problem with German versions of XP.

>> The Changelog for RC8 mentiones something about localized versions and desktop icons...

It mentions the "Show Desktop" icon ("Desktop anzeigen" in German), which is something different than the IE7 icon.

Edited by Tomcat76

I just started having this problem with the U.S. English XP SP2 slipstreamed, and IE7 (at T-13). I have not found the fix for it yet, but I have found that running the IE7 install again afterwords does fix the IE problem. I was not having this problem before I changed 2 things though:

1)Started using an unattended install through microsoft's setupmgr.exe.

2)Started installing the .NET framework 1.1, 2.0, and J# through 0_dotNET11SP120-VJ1120.exe at T-13

Are you doing either of these or anything similiar Charley? I will experiment with this a bit and let you know if changing the way either of these are done fixes it for me.

Edited by thebrian

Hello...

I have removed two patches from the HF folder that had the ending -ENU. All others are for the german version of XP.

The RC8 build failed as well: The IE7 icon is still an IE6 icon that does not work. :-(

>> May it be a problem with the german IE7 installation or am I doing anything wrong?

Well... You've seen my screenshot of WinXP SP2 German with IE7 integrated (SVCPACK method). The IE7 desktop icon works and I even removed it and placed it back. So right now I doubt it's a general problem with German versions of XP.

OK, but where is the difference? Why is it failing when I do it? I have to get it working as it is on the screenshot that you posted.

Let's try to find the difference...

I use a legal Volume License Key version (aka Corporate Edition). We have a select contract with MS... The folder "source" contains everything from an original WinXP SP2 (German) CD.

Operating system on the PC to run HFSLIP: Windows XP SP2, all patches installed.

HFSLIP was started as local administrator.

Can you please try to integrate IE7 and the IE7 rollup-package only - no other patches?

But, well... all other integrations (WMP11, patches) work. So I doubt that this is the problem. :-/

>> The Changelog for RC8 mentiones something about localized versions and desktop icons...

It mentions the "Show Desktop" icon ("Desktop anzeigen" in German), which is something different than the IE7 icon.

Should I try one of the other integrations of IE7?

I am afraid of the missing .png transparancy and users who will complain about it...

-------------

@the Brain:

I tried to integrate .NET 2.0 but it does not change anything.

I will not test to install IE7 after integrating it. I have to get it installed without user interaction. Only the T-13 or the direct integration are possible options right now. We have to enroll Windows to ~250 Computers and it is not acceptable to install IE7 by hand at each PC.

Does someone know where the desktop IE icon is handled in the registry? A Registry-Tweak would be an acceptable option...

I just took a closer look at your log file. I don't know if that's the source of the problem, but if you want to slipstream WMP11 you need to include WindowsXP-KB898543-v3-x86-ENU.exe. Not slipstreaming this MSOOBE hotfix will cause MSOOBE to fail to run (and possibly other things) when slipstreaming WMP11. This is explained on the Important things to know page but I forgot to add it to my hotfix list when incorporating WMP11 into it yesterday.

If the source OS is not English, HFSLIP will only slipstream msobmain.dll from it; that's enough to fix the MSOOBE issues.

On a side note... You should remove WindowsXP-KB923689-x86-DEU.exe, and you probably want to have WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-DEU.exe in.

*lol*

After you mentioned the one "English / Japanese only" patch I found the other one and removed it as well. I'll add it again...

I tried so many combinations already that I don't wonder that KB927891 is missing...

Important: I also tried to integrate IE7 only. So just the IE7 installer and the patches that are named IE7*.exe. No WMP11 and no other patches. The result was as bad as usual. I doubt that it has anything to do with WMP11 or any other patch.

Just to be sure that it is no typo: Could you please send me your hfanswer.ini and a list (dir /b HF\*.*) of all patches that you include to get the fully functional slipstreamed version?

Do you use special versions of the programs in the HFTOOLS? Maybe I have one file with an odd version inside :-/

I just took a closer look at your log file. I don't know if that's the source of the problem, but if you want to slipstream WMP11 you need to include WindowsXP-KB898543-v3-x86-ENU.exe. Not slipstreaming this MSOOBE hotfix will cause MSOOBE to fail to run (and possibly other things) when slipstreaming WMP11. This is explained on the Important things to know page but I forgot to add it to my hotfix list when incorporating WMP11 into it yesterday.

If the source OS is not English, HFSLIP will only slipstream msobmain.dll from it; that's enough to fix the MSOOBE issues.

If your source came with SP2 you may want to make sure you remove everything from the SVCPACK folder. Some newer SP2 sources install a non-public IE6 patch.

My source was originally "Gold", manually updated to SP2.

I was not using the MSOOBE patch, because I didn't want OOB to run, but I put the patch in there now. Also, I did find the IE patch in my source's svcpack folder, and removed it (cleared out the whole folder). The source I was using was the latest XP downloadable image from MS Volume Licensing. I'm slipstreaming a new image now, and will try installing on MS Virtual PC once it's done, and let you know if that did the trick.