About RegEdit

celtish

Can't go into regedit any more because it won't close down on demand. Just stays put, freezes everything up and forces a reboot.

Any fix, anyone?

Edited by plonkeroo

How big is your C:\Windows\System.dat and C:\Windows\User.dat files? Might be important as I've heard of problems with massive registry files around 9 megs before. Mine are 5,537K and 1,285K with no problems here.

plonkeroo :hello: :

Agreed that this could be the problem. Go here

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip3.htm

and read on How To Compact... There is also a link to a "fixed" REGEDIT.EXE.

Bear in mind that this may not cure the problem. There is also an MS article on the subject. Also note that you might not be safe in using REGEDIT while in Internet Explorer/Windows Explorer, since the registry is being "tapered with" by this. Lastly, is you AV software checking to see if YOU are tampering with it?

(hope MDGx appreciates my "plugs" to his Tips 'n Tricks... been using them for years)

Edited by submix8c

You will probably want to do some registry cleaning to pare down invalid entries. Then compact it. Some good ones are: JV16 Power Tools, Easy Cleaner, Reg Seeker and Crap Cleaner also has a reg cleaner. Sorry, do not have links now as it is getting late. Be sure to use the backup function of the cleaner when using it. JV16 Power Tools has an older vesion 1.3.0.196 that is freeware, the newer releases are shareware.

You will probably want to do some registry cleaning to pare down invalid entries. Then compact it. Some good ones are: JV16 Power Tools, Easy Cleaner, Reg Seeker and Crap Cleaner also has a reg cleaner. Sorry, do not have links now as it is getting late. Be sure to use the backup function of the cleaner when using it. JV16 Power Tools has an older vesion 1.3.0.196 that is freeware, the newer releases are shareware
JV16 and my machine have never got on but Easy Cleaner, Reg Seeker and Crap Cleaner are in use. As is CleanSweep and Registry Drill (which is an excellent compacter. Would like to do some manual cleaning too but how can I do that when RegEdit is out of service! Edited by plonkeroo

plonkeroo :hello: :

Agreed that this could be the problem. Go here

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip3.htm

there are TWO fixed REGEDIT.EXE files. One from the site MDGx mentions and the one Tihiy made a few years ago (it was a modified ME Regedit.exe file that can work under Win98) The WinME Regedit.exe file has a Favorites option and the ability to memorize what registry key that was last edited after exiting RegEdit. The 4.90.3000 Regedit.exe file is no longer available from the RapidShare site (I'll have to tell MDGx about this and send him the 4.90.3000 RegEdit package)

Replace the Regedit.exe file with either of the "fixed" regedit.exe files.

There's a TweakUI option on the Repair tab that allows you to Repair RegEdit. not sure if that'll work.

plonkeroo :hello: :Agreed that this could be the problem. Go herehttp://www.mdgx.com/newtip3.htm

there are TWO fixed REGEDIT.EXE files. One from the site MDGx mentions and the one Tihiy made a few years ago (it was a modified ME Regedit.exe file that can work under Win98) The WinME Regedit.exe file has a Favorites option and the ability to memorize what registry key that was last edited after exiting RegEdit. The 4.90.3000 Regedit.exe file is no longer available from the RapidShare site (I'll have to tell MDGx about this and send him the 4.90.3000 RegEdit package)Replace the Regedit.exe file with either of the "fixed" regedit.exe files.There's a TweakUI option on the Repair tab that allows you to Repair RegEdit. not sure if that'll work.
It is the 4.90.3000 version I'm using since yonks. I am right now looking up the MDGx link you cited.

It is the 4.90.3000 version I'm using since yonks. I am right now looking up the MDGx link you cited.

as I said before, the link that points to the Rapidshare site from MDGx's site has stopped working since Rapidshare removed the 4.90.3000 Regedit files.

using FoxitReader instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader is a better alternative and is lightweight, loads MUCH faster than Adobe Reader and uses much less disk space and uses few registry entries.

If any of you guys have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your machines, DUMP THE PROGRAM and get FoxitReader if you just want to view PDF files. I'm getting rid of Adobe's bloated Acrobat Reader program on all of my computers and installing FoxitReader on those that don't have FoxitReader.

I'll try to send MDGx version 4.90.3000 of the modified REGEDIT.EXE file Tihiy made sometime today

Foxit is a good reader program, but often has issues printing. Some websites will not let you use Foxit to do forms either, ie: Turbotax. I keep a low numbered version of Adobe on my system, ie: 4.01 or 5.01 and if it does not work, (have not had that problem), I have Foxit as a back viewer. There is also 2 Adobe reader speedup utilitys that are small one time use items that greatly improve the loading of acrobat reader.