New server not working......please give imput????

XPerties

[b:713d061fa1]Ok i posted this here for a few reason. #1 we dont have a straight "Hardware" only section. we only have XP related and this isnt XP related. #2 I need as much repsonce as possible and this gets the most being in here. #3 because I can, Im god!:) [/b:713d061fa1]

Ok i got second hand (was told it worked fine from a friend) a MB and a CPU.

MB= KT7A-RAID Abit

CPU= TBird 1400

Ok now everything else in there is brand new. I added the following.

Antec Smart power supply 350wat

512 Ram

Soundblaster (cheapy) card

Video card (8mb)

D-link ethernet

Cd-rom

Floppy

80gig Baracutta HD

Now as far as i have ever know you have one main connection to the MB from the PS. Thats the main power clip you attach it to the motherboard. Now i have the power button on the motherboard coming from the front of the case. So in theory thats all I should need. Promblem is AMD boards are new to me, this is actually the first one. Anyways

I push the button to turn the power on and nothin happens. NATA....ZIPPOOOO. Just sits there. Ok so I checked all the connections. Made sure nothin was loose and wiggle wires. I tried this well over 20 times. On a few trys the case fans got a short jolt and started to move but then just died. Now thinking it was a bad power supply I took it out plugged it into the wall and check it volts with a voltage regulater. I was getting plenty of juice. SO im looking at the motherboard now. Does nayone know of anything or anywhere I might not be hooking something up? Remember I have just the one main connection from the power supply to the MB connected. am i missing something? Oh yah I took the CPU out to make sure it wasnt thatand still got no boot up or MB screen. Nothin at all. Any suggestions

-XPerties

If you have other thing attached to power (floppy, cd etc) cut it of

and try again. Try only with MB and HD.

I didn't saw last sentence, sory.

I had same problem with AMD, Asus K7V ATX MB and Athlon CPU. I just exchanged cord power on floppy and CD and it worked.

Man u got some Serious probs, the only thing I could think of is that u recheck ur connections from ur case to ur MB make sure u got the right one connected for power....thou I assume that they are marked clearly. Your power supply is new so it shouldnt be that, even when u push the power plug in and out from the wall plug there will always be a little jolt of juice which will move ur case fan a little thats normal!!!

besides checking that ur cpu is in firmly, had a similar prob with the cpu not locking in properly on a friends even thou he had his heatsink attached it still wasnt sitting right and would only power when he pushed on it.

Im afraid ur board may be fried or something not right with it

hope this helps

Goodluck

loose balls, that is what it is, just tie a rubberband around your scrotum, and it will repair the damage, oooopppppssss wrong forum,

Uhhhh try looking on the back of the tower, and make sure the power voltage is set at whatever current you are using, I know i set it in the wrong setting, and it would not work, when I switched it back to 110V it worked fine. Another thing, is try try a spare PS if you have one, if not you can pick a cheap 300Watt up for around 25 bucks US.

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/troubleshoot/

try that site, kind of beginner, but does offer a way to test a p***y Power supply!

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm

and yet another site dedicated to ATX power supply troubleshooting

Scenario - Stone Dead.

You switch on your new system and there are no signs of life; the power supply fan doesn't turn, there are no sounds, no lights.

Power supply - Make sure the power cord is fully inserted into the power supply, that the override switch on the back of the supply (if so equipped) is turned on, that the voltage switch is set correctly. Don't neglect to make sure the wall socket you are plugged into is live by unplugging the computer and plugging in a radio or lamp to check.

Motherboard connections - Recheck the motherboard documentation for the proper connection of the leads from the front panel power switch. Don't settle for just looking at the switch connection to the motherboard; remove the lead, check that the terminal block matches the documentation then reconnect it. Undo the main power supply connection to the motherboard (this requires pressing in the clasp as you pull gently on the connector), inspect the connectors for damage, and reconnect.

Bad component - Disconnect the power cables and ribbon cables from the drives, one drive at a time, retrying power-up after each drive is disconnected. Without reconnecting the drives, remove each adapter card (leave video for last) one at a time, retrying power-up after each removal.

Motherboard components - Remove and reinstall memory DIMMs or RIMMs, inspecting for physical damage. Remove and reinstall the heatsink and CPU, double checking the CPU fan is connected to the proper terminal on the motherboard. Never attempt to power up the system without the heatsink installed.

Switch - In extremely rare cases, the power switch on the front panel may be faulty. You can use a continuity checker or Ohm-meter to check the switch, or you can carefully, carefully, take a screwdriver with an insulated handle and momentarily short the two pins where the switch lead connects to the motherboard. Although the switch works on low voltage, you may be startled if and when the machine comes on and rake the screwdriver tip across to motherboard, so don't try this unless you have some experience working with live systems.

Remove the motherboard from the case and check for loose screws, extra standoffs, and anything else that could cause a short circuit to the motherboard circuitry. Reinstall the motherboard in the case and reinstall the video adapter, then try powering up.

If you still have no power, than the problem is most likely a defective power supply or defective motherboard.

Big Booger

I have had this happen on a few seperate occations. One particular time i was upgrading a cpu, when i went to start it up, i got nothing. i fiddled around with all the hardware, made sure everything was seated correctly, but still got nothing. i swtiched pci cards around and once again made sure thigs were tightly in order...and it started up, to this day i have no idea why it happened :WTF?:

On another occation, i was helping a friend set up a system, and once we got all the part togeather, it wouldent start. we tryed everything..no go. We took the mobo back, and the guy said it had been fried, most likely by static shock, he advised us to wear anti-static wrist guards when install or touching computer parts.

Im not sure what the deal is with your system, it sounds to me that you fried it. Did you bild it on carpet, did you use antistatic guard? try poping the new hardware in another system and make sure each piece of hardware is not causing the problem, if each one is working then you know that somthing is wrong with the mobo or the power suply.

goodluck

:beer

-drew

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you correctly connected the case's power switch to the "Power On" switch header (pins 8-9) on the PN1 header on the motherboard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok well that is what I was doing wrong from the begaining. I was readyin PN1 from laft to right instead of right to left. But NOW I can get power. I turn it on it starts to run, fans going and everything but then a straight steady beep comes on and then the power shuts off. I powered it on and took out one thing at a time to see if the beep and power down would stop. First RAM, HD, CD-ROM, Floppy....still samething now. So Im going to try to clear the CMOS and see if that helps. Ill get back to you

-XPerties

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

for the long continous beep, must be MOBO, keyboard, or PS, try a new keyboard first, and if it still doesnt work, try the Power supply test, using the paperclip on the green and black wires on the PS. THe link above in my previous post will show you how.

Though, I think you might also have bad memory, if there is anyway for you to test the components to insure that they are working, I would do so, as stated in drewdatrip's post.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/

depending on your BIOS, this site offers the best information about the beep codes!

Big Booger

I appreciate your advise but it seems the beep codes are saying a cont. beep means memory promblem. Well I took out the ram and turned it on and it still gave me the cont. beep and then shut down in about 2-3 sec. I also took out the floppy, HD, cd-rom and it still gave me the beep and shut down. Im going to try the CMOS reset and if that doesnt work take the sound card, then the ethernet and finally the vid card out and see if i get the cont beeps and shut down still. Ill keep you in formed.

-XPerties

I think you definately have a memory problem,because you say you are getting identical beep signals,whether the RAM is installed or not.Is the 512mb RAM on one stick?If it is try putting it in the other dimm slots.I have heard that some Abit KT7 series boards are temperamental using 512mb singles.For reference,number 1 slot is the farthest away from the cpu.Have you tried another stick of memory?Each time you move the RAM reset the CMOS.Hope that helps.Good luck

Well I figured it out. I think the promblem could have been a few things but I cleared the CMOS out and put it together out of the case. Im not sure if the case was not grounding it right on the rear of the MB, So i changed the spacers with new ones. I got it working and had a crappy 5 gig drive i through in and loaded 98 on it. Seems to be ok, only thing now the f***ing floppy stop working. This bios is to got dam complicated. f***ing Raid board blow a** as far as Im concerned. Ill probaly just end up buying a new board considering this board doesnt support the XP chipset, I may want to upgrade it later. Besides seems the T-bird is alot faster than my Pent III 1ghz in my personal computer. I might get really wild and swap everything around. Anyways andone looking for a raid board? lol

-XPerties

I build 'used' PCs daily and have learned a few tricks that come in handy when rebuilding a PC.

Maintain at least one tower with a good power supply, a two foot power cable that connects to the motherboard, and 18 inch cables for the floppy drive, CD-ROM, hard drive, etc. Atop a work bench, place the mobo with CPU on an antistatic mat (important). Install a cheap plug-n-play video card, RAM, connect the mobo power cable, and power up the PC. You can then troubleshoot almost any configuration problem without being forced to remove or reinstall components (espically the mobo) and prevent handling damage.

Cases that have been moved (transported in vehicles without packaging) are prone to loose connections, espically the power cable from the on/off switch to the power supply. I always examine the cable first when the power supply tests operational, yet there is no power to the power supply fan. A cheap 15 cents connector is usually the problem. At times the cable may just be loose and needs a solid push to seat it porperly. Important...this little connector can also be seated correctly when the case is turned upright...when the case is laid on its side the connector can come loose. That is why sometimes the system powers up and sometime it does not. Just depends on the method a technician builds his machine.

MSNwar - The FatMan

What is so good about that soyo dragon plus mobo? I saw a link to a soyo site with the mobo, it has a lot of good features (which everyone would obviously want, and go to buy it straightaway) but is it reliable/stable? I've heard no reviews on it.