What 'Gold Bar'?

celtish

When I'm installing stuff I occasionally get this message:- 'Important Message: You may need to click the gold bar at the top of the browser window to allow the install'

I've yet to see any 'gold bar'.

Can any member shed any light on this? :wacko:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT??? I have never heard of this. Can you recreate and take a pic?

There is nothing to see apart from the message (which is on the website itself, it's not an error popup) and the last time it happened was when I was installing Adobe Flash from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/. I have also got the 'gold bar' message on the M$ site. I sometimes also get a message something like xxxxx is linked to missing export (or maybe import) kernel32.dll xxxxx"

postscriptum - just been back to that site and none of messages showed. I've just updated kernel32 and I'm wondering if that was the 'kernel' of the problem :blink:

Edited by plonkeroo

What you're referring to is the Internet Explorer InfoBar, which is found on XP SP2 and later. This is normal behaviour to prevent malware from automatically installing themselves without your consent.

Many thanks for that info, I've wondered about the gold bar thing longtimes, but if it's an XP thing what would it have to do with my Win98SE? PS - Come to think of it, I have seen it when I'm running FireFox.

:blink:

Edited by plonkeroo

What you're referring to is the Internet Explorer InfoBar, which is found on XP SP2 and later. This is normal behaviour to prevent malware from automatically installing themselves without your consent.

Thanks for that info, I've wondered about the gold bar longtimes, but if it's an XP thing what's it doing on my Win98SE - IE6 and FireFox, actually?

It's not an XP thing. It's browser-specific. IE6 and Firefox both have the bar.

Thanks for that info, I've wondered about the gold bar longtimes, but if it's an XP thing what's it doing on my Win98SE - IE6 and FireFox, actually?

So why have I never seen it on IE?

Well you apparently have a version that's not XP-SP2.

It's possible that you have you security settings set to the very minimum.

The "goldbar" was first made for IE 6 running on XP sp2 and server 2003 SP1. both of these contain an IE sp2 but this SP2 was only made for these OSes so they made it apart of the service pack. You WILL NOT find this bar on ANY other version REGARDLESS of your security settings.It's just a majority of users use this so these sites automatically tell you to watch for the goldbar. Firefox uses this bar, yes.