How To Limit Internet Access

minghia

Hey,

I have a small network at work...

Basically a Windows Server 2003 machine that shares the internet to about 12 workstations.

Basically, I want to let the users on those workstations to go to 1 internet website only, and block them from going to all others (maybe have a username/password) box that pops up whenever they go to www.google.com for example, or any other website apart from mycompany.com.

How can I do this?

I don't want to buy MS ISA Server, or start messing with policies, is there any other quick/easy way to do this with Windows? With freeware ?

Thanks

For a free fix go to each of the 12 clients stations and do this to each. (This works on my XP Pro and should work on other Windows O.S.)

Bring up IE. Go to the company web site. Once there click on "Tools" in the tool bar and then click on "Internet Options". Now set the the "Home page" by clicking the "Use Current" button. This should set the default page that comes up when the blue E icon is clicked on to bring up the company web site.

Now right click on the tool bar and when the window pops up uncheck the "Address Bar" by clicking on it. This should make the "Address Bar" disappear. Of course if you have any savy computer operators they will figure out how to get the "Address Bar" to reappear. There should be a tweak to remove the "Address Bar" out there somewhere.

Now if there is a need for more that one site to be accessible you can always add quick links to the tool bar for each site to be accessed. I have 6 quick links in the tool bar now and can go to each site with one click of the mouse...

Well here is one idea.....

:)

I wonder if there is a way this can be accomplished with the Windows HOSTS file? Its been used to redirect sites to localhost, but adding every site in existance would be a major task, but I was wondering if the opposite could be done.