Need to upgrade Video card

tb582

I currently have a 3d labs VP 880 Pro that I have used for the past two years. With my Iwill DH-800 mobo, I'm starting to feel that its time for an upgrade. As I would like to run XP pro and vista - I think I would like to go with something by Nvidia? Over the next couple of months I hope to make a decision as to what card to get...

It needs to be excellent at video such as After Effects, Premiere, photoshop but also good when using Maya 8 etc...

What do you guys think of this card: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814133125</a> What type of performence boost would I see?

Any other suggestions? I would like to stay in the 700.00 range.

Edited by tb582

WOOOW!!!! thats expensive!!!...........but its a good card.......but form what i read....that 3dlabs card....uses nVidia GeForce 5700 chipset.......

3d Labs

but you will see a increse in performance.....but by how much im not sure....

thanks for your replies, I know it seems like a lot of money but I think I paid around the same amount for my 880 pro - My main concern is that it is going to be good with video, and some 3d work - if anyone has any suggestions of cheaper cards and same performance I'm all ears.

i tell ya one thing...im not sure.....

but i reackon you may benifit from buying a new motherboard which supports PCi-E and another card...not sure yet which one

...but wait till ripken comes across this topic...i would mention puntomx.......but i havent seen him for a while....hasnt signed on msn for a few weeks either :S

Edited by 3aces

lol, i love it when people put threads in the wrong sub-forums.

if your going to be working with maya and other similar software then you definetly need a good card. the 8800gts/gtx is the perfect card for gaming and design. but the quadro still wins when it comes to handling large models.

8800's are only pci-e tho. i would have to agree with 3aces here, but it depends on your budget. see we run into a big problem here, if you move to pci-e then that means new mobo, prolly new ram and cpu also. you will have to do an upgrade eventually but its your choice. do you work for a company? or is this for kind of a personal use?

As 3aces said, for that money you can get yourself a new mobo, CPU (if you already haven't got that to go with the new mobo) and graphics card on PCI-Express. You'll definitely see the difference.

EDIT:

@ripken, you beat me to it :P

Edited by nitroshift

just a note can you list your current spec.....we can try and avoid making you buy a whole new setup if we know what you currently have

Current Setup:

Iwill DH-800 mobo

Dual 2.8 GHz Xeon Noconas

3.0 GB of RAM

3d Labs VP880 Pro

just a note can you list your current spec.....we can try and avoid making you buy a whole new setup if we know what you currently have

Current Setup:

Iwill DH-800 mobo

3.0 GB of RAM

3d Labs VP880 Pro

:thumbup BUMP

Current Setup:

Iwill DH-800 mobo

3.0 GB of RAM

3d Labs VP880 Pro

Sorry :)

Right what speed does your RAM operate at??

In all honesty, by reading your specs and what you want to do, I believe the best option for you is to build yourself a new system completely. Prices keep dropping and technology keeps advancing. Replacing an AGP video card at the prices you're looking at is like trying to replace a carburetor for a brand new one when everyone's switched to fuel injection. Unless you plan to make your computer a collector's item, it's simply not worth it.

Like I said, I'd tough out what you have and simply build yourself a new system with a brand new motherboard using the new generation Xeons which are built on the Core2 Duo platform. Getting yourself a PCI-Express motherboard with your new system would also make a lot more sense in allowing you to keep up with future upgrades.

• 4 months later...

Current Setup:

Iwill DH-800 mobo

3.0 GB of RAM

3d Labs VP880 Pro

Sorry :)

Right what speed does your RAM operate at??

PC3200 (200MHz)