Super Vista... sort of...

kane3162

Now please note this is on an already powerful system.

AM2 5200+ 1MBx2L2 Cache

2GB (2x1GB Dual Channel) DDR2-800 -Kingston HyperX

74GB Raptor

Dual 7900GS

8GB Corsair GT USB Drive

vLite'd Vista (will post last session later and other changes made after install and tweaks)

Just wanted to say that after vLite I noticed a BIG Difference in performance with ReadyBoost and SuperFetch then I did without it.... After reading all the reviews on how Vista is still slower then XP (and when not vLite'd it is slower then XP) I managed to get all my games and even some of my office apps to boot 5+sec's faster (FPS tests comes once 1Final is released) BF2142 is FUN FUN FUN (and I dont notice the same jitteryness I used to have when I had XP on it)

HOWEVER... WTF is vista doing at startup I STILL have not found a way around the annoying as hell 2-4 min startup (Vista ultimate) it has to be the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with (and yes im a performance freak with 2 27mm fans built into my case with AS5 on everything and little HS attached to all Chips on the MOBO and VID and even my HDD) compared to my nLite'd XP with 7sec (one bios is done) to login screen..

any help or comments are appreciated.

...HOWEVER... WTF is vista doing at startup I STILL have not found a way around the annoying as hell 2-4 min startup (Vista ultimate) it has to be the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with...

I think you are suffering from the same issue as me. At first I thought it was Superfetch reading data from disk to memory. But a process "System" uses around 10% CPU-power for 6 minutes (for a total of around 35 seconds CPU-time) with quite a bit of HD-activity. After that my pc settles down and byt then I would consider it as finished starting up.

It will work on Start Menu programs but for files directly from there don't know.

What I am sure is that the Explorer file searching will work, only slower. But how often do you really search for some file.

hmmm... never thought of turning off win defender..... i really dont want to turn off search.... (my 2TB array and my personial 400GB hdd are indexed and i love the speed of finding files in 2.4TB of data...tech 1.6 is only used).... that really sucks... all well ill vlite again when final comes out and then post again...

From drive properties you can disabled indexing, I will try and see if this helps. However I always remove Windows Defender and Windows Search.

Searching I also rarely do and mostly "dir *file* /s/a" works fast enough on a drive with 50K of files.

side note: ad-aware does a better job for me and I think Avast! and Avira (which I will use in about a week: Vista release 10/04) have similar realtime protection.

I think i left WinDefender for s***s and giggles..... I havent had spyware or adware or even a virus in ages............ 2 years to be exact........ might have something to do with th Mcafee Enterprize on my server which delivers my s***.... or the fact that I reformat every 1-2 months....... and I have gotten re-installing almost down to a hair.....

The Vista delay is due to the Superfetch technology. It starts to load the apps you use more often in memory for quickly access later.

That means i should disable "SuperFetch"? for a performance boost...

By the way i am using hibernating, so does it make any difference??

To Turn hibernate on i used Run CMD then powercfg -H on

and also can i have hibernate in the start menu?? how do i do it? for now i have assigned Hibernate to the on/off button in my laptop

Now please note this is on an already powerful system.

HOWEVER... WTF is vista doing at startup I STILL have not found a way around the annoying as hell 2-4 min startup (Vista ultimate) it has to be the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with (and yes im a performance freak with 2 27mm fans built into my case with AS5 on everything and little HS attached to all Chips on the MOBO and VID and even my HDD) compared to my nLite'd XP with 7sec (one bios is done) to login screen..

any help or comments are appreciated.

2-4min startup?

i have ultimate...not vlited, its the default install and with all the goodies like dreamscene and sidebar and and it doesnt take anywhere near that amount of time including bios time, but then again i'm on core2 4mb cache but i wouldnt think it would make that big of a difference....i guess if it does then ms shouldve changed their requiement specs and also explains why so many others bash vista.

maybe its something you changed or tweaked or 3rd party perhaps.

The Vista delay is due to the Superfetch technology. It starts to load the apps you use more often in memory for quickly access later.

That means i should disable "SuperFetch"? for a performance boost...

Disabling Superfetch will NOT net you a performance boost, only the opposite. Superfetch rides on the "unused RAM is wasted RAM" saying. When your PC has nothing to load and run, Superfetch starts loading things into memory so programs sit in RAM Cache waiting for you to launch them, hence a boost to Application launch speed. If a program needs more RAM to function, Superfetch instantly releases what's loaded into Cache.

For a scenario... Say you startup your computer and when you get to the desktop you decide you're going to defrag. At that time Superfetch is caching things until your RAM is almost full. You startup your defragmenter, start to defrag. Superfetch only cached 800MB of information out of 2GB total (minus what windows and programs are already using, hence roughly 1.6GB) and it still has more to cache. Superfetch sees that something is going on within windows and INSTANTLY stops caching data, and gives up any RAM it's using if your defragmentation task needs more.

So like I said, there is no performance degradation due to Superfetch, only the opposite.

I personally let my PC sit there watching Superfetch cache things so all of my programs start faster, which generally takes about 2 minutes. And yes, I am a tweaky performance freak. Superfetch helps me, and I appreciate it.

Test it yourself. When you get to your desktop after starting up, open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Look down below at the "Physical Memory (MB)" section (see attached screenshot to see what I mean). Total and Free are self explanitory. Cached is what Superfetch has loaded into RAM. When you hear your drive grinding away focus on the 'Cached' and 'Free' sections. You'll see the 'Cached' section fill up while the 'Free' section decreases, that lets you know Superfetch is doing its job.

(To the OP) If that isn't happening, and you have nothing under the 'Startup' tab of msconfig checked, then something is awry with your Windows, that's all I can assume. (If I misunderstood the post, then by all means ignore me.)

post-135548-1176576504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Departed

SuperFetch technology will perform optimally on computers that are restarted very rarely (like 1-2 times per week). For example, Windows Server 2008 makes use of it very well to handle memory caching and fast loading times for a lot of huge server components that otherwise take a lot of time to start. The best performance improvements can be seen on newer machines, and I think it is the most useful way of using memory if you have more than 1 Gb. In Vista there aren't yet any large or intensive components (Windows Search and Defender are next to nothing when compared with Server 2008 components), but, from what I've heard, there are going to be a lot of refinements on SuperFetch technology brought by Vista SP1 (hopefully this might justify the kernel rollup to NT 6.1). The Customer Experience feedback program has been very useful for the team developing Vista.