Posting Posts, And Quoting Quotes

neophyte

I've noticed that a few people in here have a nasty habit of quoting entire posts, and leaving a simple one line reply at the bottom of it.

Worse still, is when people do it and there are large images in the thread.

Not only is it annoying to have to see the whole thread replicated with only a one line response, it's also a bandwidth chewer.

People, please, if you are going to quote someone's thread, please only quote what is absolutely necessary, or don't quote at all.

Those one line comments are annoying as all hell.

Geez, I post one long script, and you are on me like flies on poop! No, seriously you are absolutly right. I don't know about others, but it is very rare that I even read any code that is larger than one screen. My posts, on the other hand, do tend to get long winded, but I can do it all by myself: I don't need to quote anybody!

Large posts are ok, its just when a post is made larger due to a quote being added that was completely uneccesary.

There's a perfect example of this here:

http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=9425

DaveXP has completely, and uneccessarily quoted the original post, and added a meagre one line reply.

This is the sort of behaviour that irritates me (and I'm quite sure others get annoyed by it too).

:)

I hate it when someone is the first to reply to a post and they quote the original post. It's like, "DUH, you id***! Of course that's what you are replying to! It's the only thing you COULD be replying to!" Also, I do not feel it is necessary to quote a post that happens directly before yours if it is a one question post. One question=one answer. It's a bit different when someone asks 5 questions and you want to answer each seperately, or if you are answering questions across multiple posts.

Yes, well, it may technically be in the wrong section, but this is relevant to this section, because people in here are doing it.

Why post this elsewhere, and not have the people that its most relevant to see it, when it could be posted here, and have the people that need to see it, take note of it.

I, like you, also hate posts in the wrong section, but I do believe this one is rather relevent to a lot of people in here.

I agree with neophyte, I only visit the unattended forum (it's bookmarked) and would never have seen this post if it had been put any place else... And more importantly I agree with the topic of this post and think ALL the forum users should read and abide by it...

I've noticed that a few people in here have a nasty habit of quoting entire posts, and leaving a simple one line reply at the bottom of it.

Not only is it annoying to have to see the whole thread replicated with only a one line response, it's also a bandwidth chewer.

People, please, if you are going to quote someone's thread, please only quote what is absolutely necessary, or don't quote at all.

Agreed! :)

Agreed! :)

I LOVE SCROLLING

...People, please, if you are going to quote someone's thread, please only quote what is absolutely necessary, or don't quote at all.

I agree, that would be nice! ... One might also include three small dots "..." to illiustrate where text has been removed from the quote. In that way there is no doubt about anything :)

Moved to Site & Forum Issues

Large posts are ok, its just when a post is made larger due to a quote being added that was completely uneccesary.

There's a perfect example of this here:

http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=9425

DaveXP has completely, and uneccessarily quoted the original post, and added a meagre one line reply.

This is the sort of behaviour that irritates me (and I'm quite sure others get annoyed by it too).

:rolleyes:

i did that because you they going on about it :)