Recommended nLite Settings

iceangel89

It depends on your computer/network configuration, and programs, you will install. If it help you, I can write here my setting of services, or you can fing me on ICQ 310164851, if you aren't scared of my english :)

Automatic:

Cryptographic Services

DCOM Server Process Launcher

DNS Client

Event Log

Plug and Play

Print Spooler

Protected Storage

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager

Shell Hardware Detection

System Event Notification

Task Scheduler

Windows Audio

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Windows Management Instrumentation

Manual:

COM+ Event System

Network Connections

Application Management

COM+ System Application

HTTP SSL *

Logical Disk Manager

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service

Windows Installer

Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extension

Disabled: all others

In the Borec list:

Cryptographic Services is only needed for directx installation or or other ms installation. I set it to manual

DNS Client is not needed for you local pc

Print Spooler is only needed for printer and some virtual pdf printer

Protected Storage is off on my pc, the only thing i know it does his allow IE to keep password, since IE suck you dont have to care

Shell Hardware Detection is off on my system, the only consequence I see is that I dont have autorun on dvd-rom and i like it.

I agree with the rest of the list, but just be sure you know what your doing, there no unique approach to tweaking pc.

It seems, you understand very well what you are doing.

Cryptographic Services - I do use directX, and it also check sign of drivers.

DNS Client - attention! - if you disable this, your connection speed may reduce - it resolves and caches DNS names.

Protected Storage - it's a novelty for me - really it's only needed if you use Internet Explorer? (not other programs use this? e. g. Firefox, ... ?)

P. S. - what about Security Accounts Manager, if all users on my PC are "Administrators"?

It seems, you understand very well what you are doing.

Cryptographic Services - I do use directX, and it also check sign of drivers.

DNS Client - attention! - if you disable this, your connection speed may reduce - it resolves and caches DNS names.

Protected Storage - it's a novelty for me - really it's only needed if you use Internet Explorer? (not other programs use this? e. g. Firefox, ... ?)

P. S. - what about Security Accounts Manager, if all users on my PC are "Administrators"?

Cryptographic Services is only needed when you install directx (ex: direct X 9.0c) not for using it, I am a gamer so I do use directx. If a new version had to come I would need to start the service to install it. You also need this for windows update.

I am not sure about DSN CLIENT. Mine is disabled, and my firefox is very fast.

Protected storage is not needed for firefox password function

I dont have a security center, so I dont know much about Security Accounts Manage, but from what I know, if every account are admins, then it seem ok to disable it.

Edited by albator

Dumb question: if you have a service set to 'manual', what does that mean exactly? I mean, how do you know when to active it/turn it on?

In the directX installation example, say you have the Cryptographic Services set to manual and you try to install directX. What happens?

It's easy - just try for example to disable service Help and Support and then try to start Help.

To albator - are you really sure, it's no risk to disable this service, if I have Firefox, but the core of IE is still present?: Protected Storage

(Black Viper recomands let it on automatic and the Security Accounts Manager too, but for advanced users - disabled)

What about if I were the only user on my XP - is there any reason to run the service Security Accounts Manager?

other good source for configuration of windos xp : http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

Some services set to manual by windows are started by hierachal others.

if you set services like cryptogaphic service (wich default is to automatic) they will not be started by windows and you will have an error.

The workarround is to have a place like me in you start menu with a group of shorcut to start service.

for example net net start "CryptSvc" will start the cryptogaphic service.

I suggest tweaking your service and others windows setting as much as you can, you will get a faster pc.

Mine boot from bios screen to windows in 8 sec.

Thanks all....

Just a request, dunno if there is such thing in this forum but... Since most ppl using nLite want to know how should/what is needed for this and that would it be good if there is a guide? like what service is important? what can or shold be removed. i know this can be searched but looks like many site out there's guide can cause problems here and there like my Acquiring Network Address Problem

And thanks all again. Any more suggestions? Anyone :thumbup

Creating a highly customized and tweaked unattended setup that works very well for your computer, the software you use and the way you use it is far from easy. It requires lots of time, skills and hard work/testing!

Since everyone has their own hardware configuration and usage habits it's difficult to recommend something that works for all.

You can use the guides and recommendations as a starting point/reference, but test all of it yourself.

Always test your installations in VMWare or Virtual PC (or other virtualization sw) before you burn the CD/DVD and install on real hardware.

@albator:

Did you use a stopwatch or Bootvis to measure your boot time?

Was it a full cold boot, a reboot or wakeup from hibernation/standby?

A full boot (power-on to usable, including BIOS initialization time) in 8s (using a stopwatch) is very impressive, 8s measured with Bootvis is also very good. You need the right hardware and the correct tweaking for that, it definately cannot be done on all PC:s.

I've managed to get 9s (Bootvis) with a P3 1.26+(512, 768 or 896 MB RAM?)+Maxtor 7200rpm HDD, but I'm quite sure I can do even better if tweaked correctly (missed a few things back then).