AMD Too many Sockets, Which one

03GrandAmGT

If you are going to narrow your own choices to one manufacturer, then you shouldn't create a topic asking for which CPU/socket to purchase. Sometimes the answer is AMD, other times it is Intel. I always used to consider myself partial to AMD, but from what I hear/read about Intel processors these days...

- Less power consumption

- Less heat generating

- Extreme performance

- AMD's recent financial situations that are plastered on every technological news site you can find

I wouldn't mind a C2D... but I'd have to upgrade my mobo and thus my RAM as well just to get one.

If you are going to narrow your own choices to one manufacturer, then you shouldn't create a topic asking for which CPU/socket to purchase. Sometimes the answer is AMD, other times it is Intel. I always used to consider myself partial to AMD, but from what I hear/read about Intel processors these days...

- Less power consumption

- Less heat generating

- Extreme performance

- AMD's recent financial situations that are plastered on every technological news site you can find

I wouldn't mind a C2D... but I'd have to upgrade my mobo and thus my RAM as well just to get one.

ahh Jeremy,

Look at what the TOPIC is.

As in 754, F, 939, AM2 etc, etc.

I did not start this topic for Intel vs. AMD. I just needed to know which AMD SOCKET is going to have the most/longest support. I don't want to buy a 754 when support for it might end next year etc, etc.

Thanks ALL

John

BTW Jeremy when Intel says 'lower power and less heat' I am sure they are comparing to their older processors.

"40% more performance for Conroe at 40% less power (compared to Pentium D)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_microarchitecture

The X2 3800 draws less watts than a E6300; the new Brisbanes cores (65nm) probably less.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...fficient_6.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/25/green_machine/

saving watts here is not economical, its only for thermal purposes.

The E6300 is still a better cpu, maybe more bang for the watt, but for the buck?

As for AMD sockets AM2 is definitely the one to choose for many reasons.

IMO Intel is leading in performance with its current chips, however AMD -especially with the latest price cuts- is the best value.

I would suggest the new Brisbane core over Windsor though i do not see the 3600+ available in retail box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103036

ahh Jeremy,

Look at what the TOPIC is.

As in 754, F, 939, AM2 etc, etc.

My point was that great and worthy processors come from more than one manufacturer. And I can read, thanks. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

Went shopping today and picked a few parts out. Thanks to DigeratiPrime for the heads up on the 3800. That will fit the bill perfect. This box will be used primarily for family picture editing and some family movie editing. when not being used for the picture editing the CFO (Wife) has already claimed it for her studies. So personally I think this combo will work great for the intentional purpose of the box. Let me know what ya think.

ABIT KN9 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail N82E16813127010 $74.99

GIGABYTE GV-NX73T256P-RH GeForce 7300GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 N82E16814125036 $82.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model N82E16819103735 $109.00

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) N82E16820145566 $107.00

OR

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) N82E16820231096 $109.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM N82E16822148111 $139.98

2 ea. on the drives.

The KN9 I went with has 3 pci sockets and until I get alot more of the newer cards I thought the 3 over 2 pci availible was a little more proactive in keeping with what I have around the house.

jd

The only suggestion I have is to look at the Seagate 7200.10 250GB drive instead of the 7200.9. It has the new perpendicular recording technology. They're quite fast as well. I have two 250GB models and two 400GB models in my machine...couldn't be happier with the purchase. :)

You can get the 7200.10 with 8MB cache for the same price that you have listed, or for ~$5 more you can double the cache to 16MB (recommended).

The only suggestion I have is to look at the Seagate 7200.10 250GB drive instead of the 7200.9. It has the new perpendicular recording technology. They're quite fast as well. I have two 250GB models and two 400GB models in my machine...couldn't be happier with the purchase. :)

You can get the 7200.10 with 8MB cache for the same price that you have listed, or for ~$5 more you can double the cache to 16MB (recommended).

Thanks nmX.Memnoch

Changed it. I didn't order the 7200.10's for the simple reason that some of the reviews and comments I'v read where not real favorable. What the hey it's got a 5 year warranty anyway, so guess I'll try it.

Thanks again

jd