SkipMachineOObe is deprecated

Hello again,

When I run the vaildation check on my xml file is returns a error Setting SkipMachineOOBE is deprecated in the windows image. I have tried setting this option to both false and a true it makes no difference. Has anyone else come across this problem ?

Hello again,

When I run the vaildation check on my xml file is returns a error Setting SkipMachineOOBE is deprecated in the windows image. I have tried setting this option to both false and a true it makes no difference. Has anyone else come across this problem ?

hi kirrana, just leave this empty (not false not true). I had the same issue, leave leave it as is and change the other options as needed. If it still doesn't come good delete the whole branch and re-add it, without setting SkipMachineOOBE.

Hello again,

hi kirrana, just leave this empty (not false not true). I had the same issue, leave leave it as is and change the other options as needed. If it still doesn't come good delete the whole branch and re-add it, without setting SkipMachineOOBE.

& your point is??..it is an available setting if you read the help files?

& your point is??..it is an available setting if you read the help files?

sorry bud, I had to wing that one.. I didn't have the help file handy to check. I just remember when I did it I left the option blank and it stopped the Warning from showing up.

I believe this is a bug in the OPK/WAIK,

I have not seen anything official about it but I have had the same issue and It has not affected doing unattended installs. I take it more as a warning and something that Microsoft will fix (with luck) in ther next update of the WAIK. I think MS have bigger issues at the moment like releasing SP1 for Vista, which through the rumour mill will not be that far away.

Gwido

I have not seen anything official about it but I have had the same issue and It has not affected doing unattended installs. I take it more as a warning and something that Microsoft will fix (with luck) in ther next update of the WAIK. I think MS have bigger issues at the moment like releasing SP1 for Vista, which through the rumour mill will not be that far away.

Gwido

It's not a bug. MS wants that we don't use this setting. Cause system can end up in unproper state, if you use <SkipMachineOOBE>. Instead you should answer all "questions" of MachineOOBE in your AutoUnattend.xml. These settings are described in the doc Settings to Use for Automating Windows Welcome in Unattended Setup Reference Help file.

And there is a bug. It will ignore the setting for Network Location in Autounattend.xml. You need to fix that with a regtweak for the moment:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\FirstNetwork" /v Category /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

/d 00000000 means Home/Work

/d 00000001 means Public

The key has to be set after sysprep but before OOBE will run.

For further information about <SkipMachineOOBE> read here on Microsoft Forums.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

• 1 month later...

Gwido

It's not a bug. MS wants that we don't use this setting. Cause system can end up in unproper state, if you use <SkipMachineOOBE>. Instead you should answer all "questions" of MachineOOBE in your AutoUnattend.xml. These settings are described in the doc Settings to Use for Automating Windows Welcome in Unattended Setup Reference Help file.

And there is a bug. It will ignore the setting for Network Location in Autounattend.xml. You need to fix that with a regtweak for the moment:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\FirstNetwork" /v Category /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

/d 00000000 means Home/Work

/d 00000001 means Public

The key has to be set after sysprep but before OOBE will run.

For further information about <SkipMachineOOBE> read here on Microsoft Forums.

Regards,

Martin

How i place this reg file in my dvd, and where do i put the command?

Edited by sp00f

This is interesting cause I use the Skipmachine setting to prevent the "Select user setting etc" However I still experience the Network selection page as I've complained of in other threads round here. I have tried running that reg tweak as part of the firstlogon.cmd but still shows the network setup page? I know the waik complains of this setting but still works good, no problems.

I too would like a solution for this one as is very annoying for a Ua, after all we want to see a normal desktop & nuthin else following a silent install.. now don't we??

One other thing while I'm there can anyone help us out? @ present I would like to Autologin the Admin only, No further Acc's req'd .But I would prefer to change the admin acc to my nic name or user name etc, instead of Administrator.. know we did it in XP, don't want multiple admin acc's & definetly need autologon...pls give us an xml example if you can....

Hello MC!

I've not tried the thins with the regtweak yet, got this information from TechNet forum only. But the regkey has to be set before OOBE runs. So FirstLogon would be to late.

AFAIK it's not possible to use the Super-Admin account as the one and only account. MS don't want you to do that. And if I'm honest, I don't know why you wanna use it as the one and only account. :unsure:

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin,

I really only want to specify one user account my name eg. "MC" with full admin priviliges & do not want any other visible or invisible accounts to be present. I naturally require an autologon as no one else has access or use with this machine.

As mentioned presently I can obtain the administrator acc soley with autologon enabled in Ua by setting the xml accordingly, just really need to clarify the main admin change name from Administrator to eg."MC" etc.

EDIT:Martin if you're correct & I can't rename the super admin acc. etc., is there a way to remove or make invisible all other accounts including the Superadmin excluding my acc off course? Obviously I need to do this unattendly.

Theres probably something blatantly obvious I'm overlooking here? & most likely a simple solution?

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

Hello MC!

I would not say, that it's impossible to change the name of the Administrator. All I wanna say is, that there is no easy switch in unattended settings to do it. But I'm prettey sure there is any Regtweak you need to "turn".

Ok... the other thing is creating your own account. Here is the way I do it:

I use two xml answer file to do it. The first one is the Autounattend.xml, which is present on my USB-Stick:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>de-DE</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0407:00000407</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>de-DE</SystemLocale>
<UserLocale>de-DE</UserLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserData>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<FullName>FireGeier</FullName>
<Organization>FireGeier LTD.</Organization>
</UserData>
<DiskConfiguration>
<Disk wcm:action="add">
<CreatePartitions>
<CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
<Order>1</Order>
<Size>25000</Size>
<Type>Primary</Type>
</CreatePartition>
<Order>3</Order>
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Type>Logical</Type>
</CreatePartition>
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Order>2</Order>
<Type>Extended</Type>
</CreatePartition>
</CreatePartitions>
<ModifyPartitions>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Active>true</Active>
<Extend>false</Extend>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>Vista_OS</Label>
<Letter>C</Letter>
<Order>1</Order>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</ModifyPartition>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Active>false</Active>
<Extend>false</Extend>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>Data</Label>
<Letter>D</Letter>
<Order>2</Order>
<PartitionID>2</PartitionID>
</ModifyPartition>
</ModifyPartitions>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
</Disk>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DiskConfiguration>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<MetaData wcm:action="add">
<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
<Value>Windows Vista ULTIMATE</Value>
</MetaData>
</InstallFrom>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
<InstallToAvailablePartition>false</InstallToAvailablePartition>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<DriverPaths>
<PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="7c3d475d" wcm:action="add">
<Path>%DriversRoot%Drivers</Path>
</PathAndCredentials>
</DriverPaths>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>
<ProtectYourPC>2</ProtectYourPC>
<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
</OOBE>
<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>D:\UserData</ProfilesDirectory>
</FolderLocations>
<AutoLogon>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<LogonCount>2</LogonCount>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
</AutoLogon>
<TimeZone>W. Europe Standard Time</TimeZone>
<FirstLogonCommands>
<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<Order>10</Order>
<CommandLine>REGEDIT /S %AppsRoot%\Install\Regtweaks.reg</CommandLine>
<Description>Import Registry-Tweaks</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
<Order>20</Order>
<CommandLine>%AppsRoot%Install\AcrRead\AcroRead.msi /qb</CommandLine>
<Description>Install Adobe Acrobat Reader</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
<Order>30</Order>
<CommandLine>%AppsRoot%Install\Firefox\Firefox_Setup_2_0_0_2.exe -ms</CommandLine>
<Description>Install Mozilla Firefox</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
<Order>40</Order>
<CommandLine>%AppsRoot%Install\Flash\install_flash_player.exe /s</CommandLine>
<Description>Install Adobe Flash Player</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
<Order>50</Order>
<CommandLine>%AppsRoot%Install\Java\jre-1_5_0_11-windows-i586-p-s.exe /s /v/qn</CommandLine>
<Description>Install Sun Java</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
<Order>60</Order>
<CommandLine>%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /quiet /oobe /reboot /unattend:%AppsRoot%Install\Unattend.xml</CommandLine>
<Description>Generalize System to Copy Profile to Default User</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
</FirstLogonCommands>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<RunSynchronous>
<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<Order>1</Order>
<Path>%Systemdrive%\Scripts\SetAppsRoot.cmd</Path>
<Description>Setzen der AppsRoot-Umgebungsvariable</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:j:/vistawork/dvd/sources/install.wim#Windows Vista ULTIMATE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Note:

The %AppsRoot%-Variable I set using the SetAppsRoot.cmd under specialize pass. The SetAppsRoot.cmd I've integrated before into my ULTIMATE using imagex /mountrw. All I did is, that I was copying the SetAppsRoot.cmd to Scripts folder into the Root of the mounted image.

The SetAppsRoot.cmd looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<OEMInformation>
<HelpCustomized>false</HelpCustomized>
<Manufacturer>FireGeier LTD.</Manufacturer>
<SupportPhone>1234567890</SupportPhone>
</OEMInformation>
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<DPI>96</DPI>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
</Display>
<CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
<ComputerName>Compu</ComputerName>
<RegisteredOrganization>FireGeier LTD.</RegisteredOrganization>
<RegisteredOwner>FireGeier</RegisteredOwner>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>
</OOBE>
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<DPI>96</DPI>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
</Display>
<UserAccounts>
<LocalAccounts>
<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
<Password>
<Value>cwBlAGMAcgBlAHQAUABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>
<PlainText>false</PlainText>
</Password>
<Description>FireGeier</Description>
<DisplayName>FireGeier</DisplayName>
<Group>Users</Group>
<Name>FireGeier</Name>
</LocalAccount>
<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
<Password>
<Value>cwBlAGMAcgBlAHQAUABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>
<PlainText>false</PlainText>
</Password>
<Description>Administrator</Description>
<DisplayName>Admin</DisplayName>
<Group>Administrators</Group>
<Name>Admin</Name>
</LocalAccount>
</LocalAccounts>
</UserAccounts>
<RegisteredOrganization>FireGeier LTD.</RegisteredOrganization>
<RegisteredOwner>FireGeier</RegisteredOwner>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>0407:00000407</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>0407:00000407</SystemLocale>
<UserLocale>de-DE</UserLocale>
<UILanguageFallback>de-DE</UILanguageFallback>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="generalize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:c:/winpere/vistadvd/sources/install_windows vista ultimate.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Important is the <CopyProfile> tag which will copy the settings where made before in first xml under Administrator Account to the Defaul User account so that they are present for all further users.

The <PersistAllDeviceInstalls> keeps the drivers when syspreping the machine. If you don't use that all drivers will be installed a second time. That would waste time and you would get a lot of popups.

Note:

It's important that you create an Administrator account - which is not the Super-Admin - in the second xml.

The <SkipMachineOOBE> has to be removed in second xml to get the accounts created properly.

The Super-Admin will be deleted by using sysprep.

Hope that'll help!

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier