Explorer taken 1.5 minutes to open.....WHy?

tilstad

I've had this problem since I first installed XP back in 2001, after ths OS has been installed a few months. AFter a boot, when the harddisk is finished loading, and it's ready, if I try opening explorer to view some files, it takes forever to show the file three. It also does this if say I boot, and then run the pc with email, web etc for half an hour, and then open explorer, no difference. Takes about 1 and a half minute or so. But second time I open explorer, it's not that slow, 5-10 seconds maybe, but still a lil on the slow side.

Anyone know why this is? And if something can be done to fix it?

I have reinstalled numerous times since 2001, and then explorer is fine... for a few months. And then gradually, it gets worse and worse. ANd no matter ho much I scandisk, defragment, reinstall ( not fresh, just "repair"), it's still the same. Bothers the crap out of me, since I don't really want to reinstall every 3 months, when everything else is working just fine.

PC in question is athlon xp2100, 1Gb ram, xp SP2

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't really help any at all. I didn't run the "autoruns" ssince I already run the "startup inspector" which I believe does the same thing, controls what gets loaded at boot. I did run the shellxview thing though, disablet a few things, but most are just windows componnents anyways. THe rest are just regular things like winzip, google toolbar etc. Not that many though. Anyways, didn't make a difference at all.

I think it's kind of strange because when I open explorer, it shows the window quite fast, and the initial three with c: and som folders, but then it wants to show the contents of the start menu folder, and then the diskdrive goes crazy and finishes after 1,5 minute! And there's only one file and one folder in there!! Desktop.ini file and "programs" folder. don't understand why it takes so long to load that.

Edited by tilstad

It's the same in safe mode. I didn't try without google toolbar though, but it's been this way since before there even was a google toolbar... or atleast before I knew about it.

Seems to me only option is to reinstall... which I've done noumerous times for it to only come back... so It's not really any point doing that anyway.

Yes, I've had this problem in XP and Win 2K using the filemanager "explorer" too - for years. I just ignored

it since it usually comes back after awhile. I just asssumed it was a memory leak in explorer.

I don't have a solution to the problem..... :(

It's the same in safe mode. I didn't try without google toolbar though, but it's been this way since before there even was a google toolbar... or atleast before I knew about it.

Well, if it happens in safe mode, I'd say you probably have an issue with a kernel filesystem filter driver. Have you removed your antivirus and/or antispyware application(s) as a test?

Actually Iv've had 3 different antivirus the last year, first Norton, then F-secure which I didn't like, and now Nod32. It's the same with all threee, but I havent tested without antivirus.. But even if that worked, I couldn'tuse the pc for any amount of time without it anyway.

I could try uninstall nod32 if you feel it has a purpose though.

Strange thing is I have used the bootvizard.exe from MS, and I've tried better this a bit by fast opening a explorer window as soon as possible to make that also be optimized. And that actually works, If I optimize like that 3-4 times to make sure explorer windoed also get optimizes, it usually get quite alot better, not as godd as a new install though.

Bad thing about it is that it only lasts for a short while.Like a couple of weeks at best if you don't change much on the pc.

The only reason I'd want to test it is because explorer.exe gets slow only for a few reasons - 1, disk fragmentation; 2, file system filter driver I/O backup issues (antivirus, antispyware, backup software, firewall filters); 3. malfunctioning explorer shell extensions; and 4, hardware problems.

Have you tried turning off "Automatically search for network folders and printers"?

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View [Tab] > and uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers".

It's the first one of the list.

Just my 2 cents. HTH.

'nuff