Oleg 2000 only removers issue

whitehorses

I had this problem for a long time occasionaly, but always when I used hfcleanup. Now I have found out that these occasions are when I use Oleg's 2000-only removal files.

Since I choose to delete catalog files, and FDVs fileset provides the modified SFC.DLL and such, I don't see why does this happen. If I don't Use HFCLEANUP or (now I know) if I just don't use Olegs files, these popups won't appear.

These are the entries which are removed from syssetup.inf

NT5.CAT

NT5PRTX.CAT

CJIME.CAT

MQEXCHNG.CAT

PHIME.CAT

PYIME.CAT

SCRDBCAT.CAT

HPCRDP.CAT

MW770.CAT

IASNT4.CAT

SP4.CAT

Any ideas/suggestions?

NOTE 0: I use W2K (as always)

NOTE 1: I use FDV fileset (as always)

NOTE 2: I use DX9 (as always)

NOTE 3: I use basic hotfixes, nothing more (as always)

Edited by whitehorses

whitehorses :hello:

I use the same removers as you (maybe just 3-5 more files deleted since then) and don't have this issue :wacko:

I'm writing from the computer where the system was installed from HFSLIPed source + my reducers ;) There was no complain about missing files during installation and later.

The only reason I can think about is: you add FDV's set after including my files - I canged a few things in there and it's better to add my files after FDV's fileset in order not to replaced changed files.

Edited by Oleg_II

It also may have some influence from hardware but I tried it on 5 complitelly different computers and it worked smoothly.

Only one note - I include video adapter driver in my installation - if it is not in the distribution the setup proccess asks about a couple of files to add. I don't remember if I excluded these files from reducers in the package.

Try arrange all folders and put all needed files in them including FDV's fileset. And only after that, just before running HFSLIP.CMD, put the reducers and included files in (there should be some files in separate folders in package). If it asks about replacing files just agree and replace them.

Edited by Oleg_II

dirtwarrior :hello:

I add a lot of other stuff in i386 folder too so it's difficult to say how big it is "clean". Let me guess: mine is about 104MB with USP5.02, DirectX9C and all that stuff (Chinese language support in LANG folder takes 14MB ;) so I think it would be about 80MB of Windows files only.

As for commit it's about 30MB without drivers and RAM disk. But when I add drivers and RAM disk it's about 65MB. And of course when I run programs it increases too.

Edited by Oleg_II

Know that one. :rolleyes:

I only have experience with XP but afaik this is not specific to it. If I delete some of these files, setup complains right after the first GUI boot. But I found a workaround. Of course, there are some differences since I use nlite for component removal and XP but here is a part of my post-nlite batch script:

REM creates an empty SP1.cat
@_ > SP1.cat
@_ > SP2.cat
@_ > STSWEB.CAT
@_ > MAPIMIG.CAT
@_ > IASNT4.CAT
@_ > HPCRDP.CAT
@_ > OSCCAB.CAT

del STSWEB.CA_
del MAPIMIG.CA_
del IASNT4.CA_
del HPCRDP.CA_
del OSCCAB.CA_

At first I thought setup would never use these files but it does. And since I use fdv's sfc[files].dll I thought that the files were maybe loaded but anyway, windows would never go through them.

And it works. :)

Btw, don't try to compress the files. They are empty so compressing them would only make them bigger.

And also, cat files removal normally only applies to cat files inside SVCPACK. ; )

whitehorses

the ones on hfslip.org are the same as I use.

If you are using removers from there it's probably not my set ;) I didn't know it is on HFSLIP.ORG :blink: I thought there are general removers on the site only. Could you give me the link where you downloaded the set?

dirtwarrior

So we have the same results ;)

Camarade_Tux

Interesting method we have here :)

Edited by Oleg_II

@Tux

But why others never experiance this, just you and me? What are those cat files by the way exactly.

I don't know... I'd like to finaly understand why this hfcleanup never works for me.

Don't know, computer mystery. Maybe an OEM CD ?

And also, nlite only removes NTPRINT.CAT when print support is being removed (this one contains driver signatures). CAT files that are direclty in i386 are generally left untouched.

I think I can answer this one. While Oleg2 was away (remember he hasn't been to the board in about 10 months), I grabbed the reigns and added some reducers. I kind of thought Oleg lost interest in this stuff, and there was some reduction needed. I compliled the cleaners and have them on the hfslip site. I'm working on some more, but I'm not having much luck with getting them XP friendly. Maybe I have a weird hotfix or something....