Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

Why make it so complicated? ;)

I install both my silent Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 packages via SVCPACK.INF, followed by several applications which require these two packages. I install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 via RunOnceEx and it all works like a charm.

Some programs may need .NET 2.0 to be activated, but I agree with Arie that that setup is too complicated. Here's what I'd do in such case:

SVCPACK.INF:

1) Install DNF20.exe

2) Install all apps that can be installed from SVCPACK.INF (including Catalyst Control Panel)

3) Registry edits, etc.

4) Install DNF11.exe at the end

<Windows setup finishes>

First logon:

1) Install "mini" DNF30.exe and apps that can't be installed from SVCPACK.INF

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I found this in a search since I can't get to the RogueSpear forum yet and it seems to work well. I was wondering if you have something like this which would work for Direct X 9c? I am having trouble finding a switchless silent install for the recent November redist. Thanks! :)

EDIT: nevermind I extracted the files from the redist.exe and then packed it up again following the 7zip tutorial that is around here somewhere, using dxsetup.exe /silent and that seemed to work. I will test it properly later with a virtual machine once I get my ISO ready :)

Edited by heffalump

@heffalump

You could just use HFSlip and integrate DX9 right into your windows install. Just get your DX9 Redist file (even if you get the latest one from Nov 2007) and drop it into the HF folder and put your source files into the Source folder. Run HFSlip and voila! You of course can do more than just DX9 with HFSlip, but if this is the only thing you are worried about, it will certainly do the job nearly effortlessly. Will even save you some space maybe from not having to put an silent installer into your install source.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

sorry to bother again, but I had asked a few questions regarding SNM in a thread in the hfslip forum, see here. Unfortunately it was closed by Tomcat76 (prematurely IMHO) without really bringing enlightenment to me, so I'll try once again...

Basically the topics were:

1) Outdated documentation for .NET 1.1: one missing update in the list (KB886903). Will it be updated?

2) Outdated documentation for .NET 2.0: two missing updates in the list (KB917283, KB922770). Will it be updated?

3) Outdated documentation for .NET 3.0: two missing updates in the list (KB932394, KB932471). Will it be updated?

4) Support for .NET 2.0 SP1?

5) Support for .NET 3.0 SP1?

6) Possible to move information from initial posting of this thread to its own homepage?

7) Support for .NET 3.5?

TC76 referred to this thread and his last posting. It says:

.NET 2.0 SP1 is a standalone package (it replaces dotnetfx2.exe and the previous cumulative update).

I haven't found out how to install these yet. The ADDEPLOY=1 command no longer does the trick.

Well, this answer solves questions (2) and (4). It does not contain anything related to question (1), (3), (5) or (7). I do not count question (6) as it was only a suggestion - but it would be nice to add at least the information on 2.0 SP1 (replaces all, not supported by hfslip) to the first posting as it would be much easier to find there.

Didn't understand the last sentence - sorry, I'm a noob ;) But the phrase in the sentence before, "haven't found out yet", sounds as if TC76 will try to continue and to find a workaround. Or did you give up, TC76? Any news? Could you please clarify whether you intend to develop SNM further or you abandonded this great tool and we have to find other solutions if we want to install the .NET frameworks during Windows installation? Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Tomalak

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for ur share first !

i come from Taiwain and my english not very good .....so i got some queition....

Now i try it..

i want to install .Net 1.1 and .Net 3.0 at the T-13

my PC already installed .Net 1.1 sp1

i Double-Click the SNM.cmd to run it

but SNM.cmd run time .....i got a message .....told me can't find the .Net 1.1 sp1 installed at my PC....

when the DNF11_30.exe file maked....i try to install...

at the T-13....it can install.....

but not install .Net 1.1 sp1 .....

the _SNM.ini file i tried any setting .......but i always got the message....

Oh my god......

who can tell me what the problem ........

Hi!

One question about the Silent .NET Maker: are .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 supported? Which are the steps to follow to create a silent installer fully updated including this 2 new updates?

EDIT

Ok, yesterday It was 3 AM when I posted, and I didn't read that they are not supported yet... Any plans in a near future? Will this updates include the previous ones?

Edited by XibaD

Tomcat76,

you can include on your first post that your method works also on Brazilian Portuguese versions of Windows 2000 SP4 (.NET 1.1 and 2.0) and XP SP2 (.NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0). Great job ! :thumbup

Unfortunally MS didn't make the newest SP's available to us as stand-alone installers or runtime, at least not in my native language. But I've been using the 'traditional' workaround: after installing all the stuff, connect to WU and got the updates with no problems.

Hope you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :thumbup

Hi!

Your script is a great tool!

I have a few questions:

1. Did you figured out how to integrate .NET 3.5?

2. How to extract the ".NET 3 extras" (the runtimes/services/installers, that have been added after .NET 2.0)

3. Could these extras be packaged separately? (One package with .NET 1 and .NET 2, and other with ".NET 3/3.5 extras"), cause I want to have 1st package for use with systems older than XP, and the 2nd only as a completion/increment of the 1st one.

Thanks in advance;)

Although this script doesn't work for .Net 2.0 SP1 I was able to use it to create a new small .NET 1.1 installer including language pack in just 11.5 MB :thumbup

P.S. I used the following hotfixes.

KB867460

KB887542

KB887545

KB887549

KB887551

KB887560

KB888999

KB891865

KB892202

KB893100

KB896000

KB896010

KB896501

KB901372

KB907407

KB923614

KB932273

KB937501

KB940737

KB942228

Although this script doesn't work for .Net 2.0 SP1 I was able to use it to create a new small .NET 1.1 installer including language pack in just 11.5 MB :thumbup

It is possible to create an .NET 1.1 SP1 installer because SP1 is just an msi file.

Situation .NET 2 and 3 that is a bit different cause ServicePacks are deployed in an other way.

I install .NET Framework 20SP1+30SP1+3.5 +languagepacks this way:

REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW /f
REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup /v SystemSetupInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Regtweaks are for T-13 compatibility

START /wait DNF20\Netfx20a_x86.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn
START /wait lng\fw2\langpack.msi ADDEPLOY=1 /quiet

FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B DNF30\SYS32') DO (
XCOPY/DY DNF30\SYS32\%%I %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32 /S %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\%%I
)
START /WAIT DNF30\WIC\update\update.exe /quiet
START /WAIT DNF30\XPSEPSC\update\update.exe /quiet
START /WAIT DNF30\Netfx30a_x86.msi ADDEPLOY=1 /qn /norestart
START /WAIT DNF35\VS_setup.msi ADDEPLOY=1 /qn /norestart

START /WAIT LNG\XPS\update\update.exe /quiet
START /WAIT MSIEXEC /i LNG\WCF\langpack.msi /qn /norestart
START /WAIT MSIEXEC /i LNG\WPF\wpflangpack.msi /qn /norestart
START /WAIT MSIEXEC /i LNG\WF\WF_langpack_x86.msi /qn /norestart
START /WAIT MSIEXEC /i LNG\VS\VS_Setup.msi ADDEPLOY=1 /qn

Tip: extract original installers with following command:

msiexec /a <name>.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\Temp

This way I was able to create a 54mb package containing all .NET Framework with updates and languagepacks.