Best mouse to use in Photoshop - Recomendations Please

Mr Reorg

What is the best laser mouse to use in photoshop?

Will a laser mouse with a higher sensitivity (I.E. 2000 dpi verses 800 dpi) be better for editing working in Photoshop? I know that applies for most gaming (especially FPS games), but I need a new mouse mainly for general PC chores and, although occasional, I try some ambitious things in Photoshop; (I'm still learning how to use its magic). I'm not a gamer.

I've been looking at the Logitech MX Revolution but not sure if I'll be happy with a maximum 800 dpi sensitivity for detailed editing work, verses the G7 with a maximum 2000 dpi sensitivity.

I was thinking that for times when I want to duplicate a layer and move it precisly x number of pixels (for certain effects), that the same logic would apply as when precise targeting is desired (as in FPS games) - the higher the dpi setting on the mouse, the greater the precision.

I've been reading about the Wacom Graphire and Intuos tablets. But I only do occasional photoshop work (family photos mostly) as an enthused hobbyist (is that a word?). I'm not an artist, paid photographer, or graphics designer. I don't know if the $200 - $300 investment in a Wacom tablet is practicle for me.

But I really need a new mouse, so I thought I'd get one that would make things a little easier when in photoshop. As I said before, I'm not a gamer.

I'm not much the person to ask about mice as I'm a die hard trackball user. But I do love my Intuos2. I bought it exclusively for photo work (primarily restoration of old photos). If you can find one on special, 2nd hand or perhaps even refurbished, that's likely your best bet for photo work. Doesn't have to be a huge tablet either (work zoomed in like you would anyways). I'd take a cheapo refurbished 4x5 tablet over any mouse!

But as for mice... I'll let a mouse user answer that one.

I'm greatly confused with respect to the effect of the dpi settings of the mouse's software and it's effect on precision movement. Like I said, I'm not a gamer and have no experience to draw on, though I'll use some gamming refernces vs. photoshop references). Perhaps you can spell it out for me.

Does higher dpi of mouse = greater precision, accuracy; or does higher dpi of mouse = lower precision, accuracy?

Is this correct?

higher dpi setting
of mouse (i.e. 2000 dpi on the G7) =
faster
less precise
movement of cusor (i.e. turning around quickly in FPS game); hence,
less accurate
movement (i.e. moving a duplicate layer exactly 4 pixels for certain effects

If the above is correct then a mouse with a maximum of 800 dpi (like the MX Revolution) would be good for detailed work in photoshop; and the lower dpi settings of the mouse would provide precise, accuarte snipper targeting.

No, actually it is the other way round, though, probably, for your use the 800dpi is enough.

A higher dpi (i.e. resolution or density) of the sensor means that the sensor can appreciate a SMALLER movement, as an example if you move your mouse one inch:

on a 800 dpi mouse:

the movement will be "sensed" as 800/800=1"

on a 1600 dpi mouse (I am using 1600 just to simplify the math):

the movement will be "sensed" as 1600/1600=1"

So, NO difference. ;)

But if you continue the movement a very little bit and then reverse it:

the 800 dpi mouse will "toggle" between 1" and 1"+1/800

the 1600 dpi mouse will ALSO pass through the value 1"+1/1600 while going between 1" and 1"+2/1600 (=1"+1/800)

The actual movement of the mouse is translated into movements of the cursor on the screen with a ratio (adjustable via the driver settings, and for the sake of the reasoning, not taking into account acceleration settings), just as an example the same 1" movement of the mouse produces, say, a 4" movement of the cursor, i.e. the ratio is 1:4.

If you have a 17" monitor (diagonal measure), the actual screen (viewable area) will be roughly (WxH) 13"x10", so, in the case of a vertical movement, the minimum amount you can move the cursor becomes:

10"/4/800=1"/240 with the 800dpi

and

10"/4/1600=1"/480 with the 1600dpi

Of course, if you lower the ratio you get more precision of the cursor (but you need wider movement of the mouse), whilst if you increase it, you "lose" precision (but you move less the mouse).

So, given that the 800dpi is enough in normal use, you can see the increased precision of the 2000dpi as a way to put less strain on the hand using the mouse OR being able to work on smaller mousepad with the SAME sensitivity OR being able to work with enough precision on an image without magnifying it on the screen too much (provided that your eyesight is good enough ;)) while being able to quickly move the cursor on the menu or toolbars.

Another factor that should be taken into account, as said, is the ability to separately set resolution in the x and y directions, and more generally, the quality of the driver. (in this case related to wideness of settings and "response" to them)

Moreover, not all hands are the same, you might find a particular shape of the mouse as very comfortable while I might find the same one making me hold the hand or fingers at awkward angles....

Sampling rates (i.e. the number of times the sensor is actually read per second) should not be a problem for Photoshop use, while of course is very important for gaming where mouse movements are FAST.

jaclaz

No, actually it is the other way round, though, probably, for your use the 800dpi is enough.

A higher dpi (i.e. resolution or density) of the sensor means that the sensor can appreciate a SMALLER movement, as an example if you move your mouse one inch:

on a 800 dpi mouse:

the movement will be "sensed" as 800/800=1"

on a 1600 dpi mouse (I am using 1600 just to simplify the math):

the movement will be "sensed" as 1600/1600=1"

So, NO difference. ;)

But if you continue the movement a very little bit and then reverse it:

the 800 dpi mouse will "toggle" between 1" and 1"+1/800

the 1600 dpi mouse will ALSO pass through the value 1"+1/1600 while going between 1" and 1"+2/1600 (=1"+1/800)

The actual movement of the mouse is translated into movements of the cursor on the screen with a ratio (adjustable via the driver settings, and for the sake of the reasoning, not taking into account acceleration settings), just as an example the same 1" movement of the mouse produces, say, a 4" movement of the cursor, i.e. the ratio is 1:4.

If you have a 17" monitor (diagonal measure), the actual screen (viewable area) will be roughly (WxH) 13"x10", so, in the case of a vertical movement, the minimum amount you can move the cursor becomes:

10"/4/800=1"/240 with the 800dpi

and

10"/4/1600=1"/480 with the 1600dpi

Of course, if you lower the ratio you get more precision of the cursor (but you need wider movement of the mouse), whilst if you increase it, you "lose" precision (but you move less the mouse).

So, given that the 800dpi is enough in normal use, you can see the increased precision of the 2000dpi as a way to put less strain on the hand using the mouse OR being able to work on smaller mousepad with the SAME sensitivity OR being able to work with enough precision on an image without magnifying it on the screen too much (provided that your eyesight is good enough ;)) while being able to quickly move the cursor on the menu or toolbars.

Another factor that should be taken into account, as said, is the ability to separately set resolution in the x and y directions, and more generally, the quality of the driver. (in this case related to wideness of settings and "response" to them)

Moreover, not all hands are the same, you might find a particular shape of the mouse as very comfortable while I might find the same one making me hold the hand or fingers at awkward angles....

Sampling rates (i.e. the number of times the sensor is actually read per second) should not be a problem for Photoshop use, while of course is very important for gaming where mouse movements are FAST.

jaclaz

First, I'd like to say thank you for such a detailed explanation. That's a lot to ponder and i'm way too tired to contemplate at the moment; going to sleep now. I'll re-read your post tomorrow to make sure I follow it all.