Battery Back ups (Mostly APC)

SIRCOOKS

How would i know what size battery back up to buy? is there some type of online calculator i can check out. Is there various things on and in my machine i can add up to figure out how much, i wanna buy two to protect my computers and i don't wanna buy one thats too big, thats a waste of money and power, and i don't wanna buy one to small that'll just hurt my computers. Holla Back

How would i know what size battery back up to buy? is there some type of online calculator i can check out. Is there various things on and in my machine i can add up to figure out how much, i wanna buy two to protect my computers and i don't wanna buy one thats too big, thats a waste of money and power, and i don't wanna buy one to small that'll just hurt my computers. Holla Back

Any APC UPS you can afford will do the job of giving you enough time to close files and shut down your computer during a power failure. (Even the little 350va unit that sells locally for $39 to $42) It will also kick in to protect you against brownouts or momentary outages. Most have really good power surge protection built in for the AC line and one phone line.

You can greatly extend the run-time of any UPS by installing external batteries to provide additional power.

UPSBatteries-1.jpg

These two large car batteries power my APC 650va UPS that backs up my 25" TV and Satellite Box.

They kept me going for four days during hurricane Frances, with only one recharge off of my car, with long jumper cables.

While my neighbors were in the dark, I still had my TV, a table lamp and a small personal fan.

I also used a 12v immersion heater to make coffee. God, I love APC! :thumbup

Good Luck to ya!

Me :ph34r:

I would buy the most UPS that I could afford. Don't worry about buying "too much" ups. If you oversize your unit, you'll only have additional runtime, and you never know what you'd like to back up. If you undersize your unit, either you won't have enough runtime, or you'll overload the unit and it won't support your system once the power goes out.

APC's selector is not very up-to-date, so it's tough to use that. The average PC will be about 75-115 watts. A higher end gaming PC will be up around 150 or so. Some PC manufacturers will list the power requirements in their documentation, but if you go by the size of the powersupply, you'll never be too small.

good luck!

well, if you know some of the specs (CPU, RAM, # of hard drives, video card), that will help. The size and type of monitor would also help, as well as anything else you'd want backed up.

2nd would be the amount of backup time you'd be looking for.

I'm pretty sure that some UPS's (not sure on models) actually hook up to your computer to do just that. Theres some UPS settings in power options for the UPS (I can't check right now as I have removed that part of Windows with nLite).

Before i get to posting all that info, are there any back ups that will automatically shut down my comp, the proper way after so many minutes of no power?

I know for a fact Belkin has software that will do this that comes standard with your UPS.