Low Virtual Mem Message

cableghost

I have 1.3X gig of RAM and have my pc set for no paging file.

Frequently, I receive an error message telling me that I am running low on memory and that the system will increase the size of the paging file. At no point do I ever see memory usage go above 80%, and most option, this message occurs when at around 70% memory usage.

Is it possible that I may have a bad mem stick? I just can't believe I have any applications that would need nearly 400MB of RAM to simply open.

Recommendations?

--------------

Scott

That is very true - parts of the kernel itself are configured to be paged out as necessary. Disabling the paging file isn't necessarily a good idea, and even though you usually don't need it when you have large amounts of RAM, some software will still insist on using it (photoshop, for example). Set the paging file to a system-managed setting, or set it to something like 1024 or 2048 for both min and max values. 70% RAM used is about the time Windows will go and start paging unused bits of memory out - remember, it does this on a percentage basis, not an actual free memory number. 70% seems about right.

REgardning pagefile, disabling could speed up computer a little , but sometimes it can run wrong.

If you dont want to use pagefile, you should buy even 1gb ram and then it should be ok.

Did you even bother to read the previous posts? I have 2 GBs of Dual Channel PC3200 and had my pagefile set down to 512 MB from 4 GB and running several applications gave me the low virtual memory warning.

See my other post in big black letters? Therrree you go.

cluberti, Jeremy,LLXX they are correct in the page file setting you should try there suggestion.

Tarun is also correct about how Windows manages it is correct.

I my self use 1024 min and 1024 max method and have never recieved low on memory error.

Download this PageDefrag then re set the page file and run the app and when the

computer is restarted this app will defrag the page file for you.

Regardless of where you stand on the fixed vs. dynamic page file debate, there does seem to be one clear concensus to answer this thread:

Don't disable your Page File, regardless of how much physical memory you may have!

(I set mine to system managed and it never has gone above 512MB, with 2 GB of physical RAM, so that should be fine).

If you have a system with enough RAM to even question it, I'm sure you have the hard drive space to spare up to a Gig for a page file.

(I set mine to system managed and it never has gone above 512MB, with 2 GB of physical RAM, so that should be fine).

I used that on mine, as I have 2GB RAM and a 3.4GHz P4 with Hyper Threading, 512 was too low for Photoshop and a lot of games.

Don't disable your Page File, regardless of how much physical memory you may have!

Thank you for pulling out the real message here!!!!

Anyways - that's true. As long as you use PageDefrag to defrag your pagefile (if necessary), you'll never have a reason to disable it. :yes: